You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 61>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 12:16am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

With so many players missing it's potentially a blessing. These are friendlies after all god forbid if we beat Norway lads and even worse the players would.be inclined to take it a bit literally! 

Almost have no choice but to give at least one new young CM a run which I think we will do. Smallbone and Coventry I can see getting the nod!  We need to do it. Jason Knight was anonymous in the last two games and tbh even more annoying to my mind has shown zero ambition to try and kick on from Derby while the iron was hot at club level he shouldn't be considered a forgone conclusion going forward!

If you mean he shouldn't be an automatic starter while in League 1 I completely agree with that.
He was very quiet in the last 2 games as you say, seems to have gone backwards playing in L1. If he doesn't move in January then I'd be pretty worried about him being a L1 player for pretty much half the Euro qualifiers.

January moves are tricky though, and Derby don't have to sell.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

With so many players missing it's potentially a blessing. These are friendlies after all god forbid if we beat Norway lads and even worse the players would.be inclined to take it a bit literally! 

Almost have no choice but to give at least one new young CM a run which I think we will do. Smallbone and Coventry I can see getting the nod!  We need to do it. Jason Knight was anonymous in the last two games and tbh even more annoying to my mind has shown zero ambition to try and kick on from Derby while the iron was hot at club level he shouldn't be considered a forgone conclusion going forward!

If you mean he shouldn't be an automatic starter while in League 1 I completely agree with that.
He was very quiet in the last 2 games as you say, seems to have gone backwards playing in L1. If he doesn't move in January then I'd be pretty worried about him being a L1 player for pretty much half the Euro qualifiers.

Yes that's what I meant. Lads were scoffing at the notion of calling Finn Azaz in the same position into the squad I wouldn't mind. This January move will be tricky for him no doubt. He doesn't seem intent on leaving Derby as things stand mind. 

Other then that we know the spine of our team. I repeat this notion that these games are important for.us to further establish our team I can't buy into. We have tended to take a good friendly result a bit literally in recent months. The Norway game is that a friendly. Decent test for our defenders and goalkeeper at a push if Haaland Odegaard etc play.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 11:13am

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Yes that's what I meant. Lads were scoffing at the notion of calling Finn Azaz in the same position into the squad I wouldn't mind. This January move will be tricky for him no doubt. He doesn't seem intent on leaving Derby as things stand mind. 

Other then that we know the spine of our team. I repeat this notion that these games are important for.us to further establish our team I can't buy into. We have tended to take a good friendly result a bit literally in recent months. The Norway game is that a friendly. Decent test for our defenders and goalkeeper at a push if Haaland Odegaard etc play.

I dont agree with this analysis at all. For me, there are still serious question marks regarding at least 3 or 4 positions. LWB, the 2 central midfielders to accompany Cullen, particularly in games where we are expected to be on the front foot and crucially the support striker for Obafemi. Question marks also remain over Obafemi's durability and whether people like to admit or not, his form has not been particularly good this season. Both Molumby and Knights' form are also a concern. 

I think we absolutely need to have a look at Smallbone, O'Dowda and Brady again in midfield. I too would have liked to see Azaz get a chance (his numbers warrant it), so that's unfortunate. It would also be nice to see Hogan break his duck in this window, he is now joint top scorer in the Championship and is clearly in his best form of recent years, he looks best placed should Obafemi be unavailable. Then who supports Obafemi/Hogan - Robinson has a goal involvement every 90 minutes this season, Parrott has one in 900 minutes - Can Ogbene play alongside the main striker?

There are still plenty of issues for the management to consider and this is their last chance to have a proper look before the campaign gets underway. I dont see any huge surprises in the squad for that reason - we might have another look at Manning, Smallbone will be in. Taylor or Coventry perhaps, maybe Szmodics given Keane's injury. I dont think Mc Grath has done enough for a recall. The results of these games aren't particularly important to me, but the games themselves are crucial. International managers only have a limited amount of time to coach/assess players, every game is important and these 2 are particularly so given the timing.

Edited by John Nice - 09 Nov 2022 at 12:35pm
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 11:35am
I’d hope to see a few midfielders given a shout, even if it’s only for 20/25 mins. I agree that Kenny won’t rock the boat, but I think the likes of Hodge, Coventry and Smallbone would be worth a look.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’d hope to see a few midfielders given a shout, even if it’s only for 20/25 mins. I agree that Kenny won’t rock the boat, but I think the likes of Hodge, Coventry and Smallbone would be worth a look.

While I wouldn't be averse to seeing Hodge given a chance, the signal seems to be that they are happy for him to continue with the U21s for now. I would expect the next U21 side to be built around him - if he develops quicker than expected e.g. if he continues to get minutes under Lopetegui post WC, then this may need to be revisited.

For that reason, I actually think Ronan (on foot of his PL debut) might have a better chance at a squad call up this time around.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 4:45pm
Turns out this isn't an official international window as Celtic have refused to release players to play with Scotland and Clark has said clubs don't have to release players this window.

Might have an impact on us and we won't see any of the Derby players because League One doesn't break. Rotherham mightn't want to risk Ogbene with them already missing forwards.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Turns out this isn't an official international window as Celtic have refused to release players to play with Scotland and Clark has said clubs don't have to release players this window.

Might have an impact on us and we won't see any of the Derby players because League One doesn't break. Rotherham mightn't want to risk Ogbene with them already missing forwards.

Maybe.
L1 doesn't usually stop during international breaks anyway and clubs can simply get a game called off with usually 2 call ups.
You would imagine the same will apply here and the fact that there'll be other clubs in L1 with players involved with various countries 

Edited by wanderer - 09 Nov 2022 at 5:04pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:05pm

Can see your point re Knight - why would Derby release him when they have a game Saturday week, hopefully they hold Hourihane back also! Probably scuppers any outside chance for the likes of Taylor, Cashin or big James Collins also Smile

Surely the Championship breaks until post WC, cant see Ogbene not being released. 
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:10pm
Conor Washington and Georgie Kelly out injured. Anything happens to Ogbene they're down to their last striker. If I was Matt Taylor I wouldn't be releasing him and risking an injury on international duty.

And championship breaks till Dec 10th I believe.

Edited by J89 - 09 Nov 2022 at 5:12pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Can see your point re Knight - why would Derby release him when they have a game Saturday week, hopefully they hold Hourihane back also! Probably scuppers any outside chance for the likes of Taylor, Cashin or big James Collins also Smile

Surely the Championship breaks until post WC, cant see Ogbene not being released. 

Championship breaks until about the 2nd week of December 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:40pm

Conor Washington and Georgie Kelly out injured. Anything happens to Ogbene they're down to their last striker. If I was Matt Taylor I wouldn't be releasing him and risking an injury on international duty.

And championship breaks till Dec 10th I believe.

Cant see Ogbene settling for that with nearly a month until next fixture. It's his last chance to stake a claim before France and that spot (Troy's currently) beside Obafemi is very definitely up for grabs.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:42pm
He's walking on a free next summer so doubt Rotherham be too bothered by slightly annoying him by turning down a call up.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:57pm

He's walking on a free next summer so doubt Rotherham be too bothered by slightly annoying him by turning down a call up.

If they dont keep Dozie happy, they are likely going down. Cant see it. If fit, he'll be in the squad.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:16pm
Goal for Jamie McGrath, just his 2nd for dundee utd, staking a claim?
Idah Dream!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Goal for Jamie McGrath, just his 2nd for dundee utd, staking a claim?

I was just about to post about him and how his star has fallen. Real shame. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:35pm
I think the main thing with McGrath is he's back playing regularly. In terms of goals/assists, well he won't be getting many of those in the worst team in the league (Dundee Utd). That's 2 bad moves in a row now, costing him a year of international football, perhaps he needs a new agent...

He might go elsewhere in January, Goodwin might take him to Aberdeen.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:42pm
Knight back from injury and on the Derby bench. I wonder will he be fit enough to make the squad?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Knight back from injury and on the Derby bench. I wonder will he be fit enough to make the squad?
Derby don't have to release him, they have games and it's not an official window apparently.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 61>
  Share Topic