You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 61>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Probably Thursday week when there's only one round of games left before the break. There's championship and league cup games on the 8th and 9th next week.

Don't forget Rovers are finished the weekend and a certain JB will be free
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Jack Taylor is one who is going under the radar for another call up - playing consistently well again for a Peterboro side at the top end of League One, 2 goals and an assist and a WhoScored rating of 7.02 putting him ahead of the likes of Knight and Hourihane in the same league.

Interestingly Cashin is top rated CB in L1 on WhoScored with a rating of 7.36 and is the 6th top rated player overall in L1. Probably suffers from our depth at CB, but this lad is making serious strides, still just 20.

Also a left field one from League One, Corey O'Keefe RWB at Forest Green, joint 3rd in assists in L1 this season with 5 thus far. Had 2 goals and 10 assists last year in League 2 for Rochdale. Not suggesting he should be called up or anything, but one to keep an eye on if he continues to progress, still only 24.
Yet another assist for O'Keefe today!

Edited by John Nice - 05 Nov 2022 at 2:29pm
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 8:50am
Assuming we name five forwards, it'll be Obafemi, Hogan, Ogbene, Keane and Robinson, yeah?
No surprises as sure, who else is there! 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Assuming we name five forwards, it'll be Obafemi, Hogan, Ogbene, Keane and Robinson, yeah?

Yeah, cant see any other forward players being named with Idah, Connolly, Parrott and Kelly, who only had an outside chance in any case, all out. Next in line would be the likes of James Collins, Shane Long, Maguire based on minutes played. Of the youngsters probably Sinclair Armstrong and Odubeko, but both are still U21 eligible and neither have done enough for a senior call up imo.

If any of the 5 you mention pick up an injury then I guess there is an outside chance that he calls up Ferguson just to have a look and give him a boost, but it's a long shot imo. He looked a long way off senior level in his U21 performances. Szmodics (not strictly a forward but has been getting minutes there) is the more likely call up in the event of further injuries.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:44am

That's a pretty depressing list of options apart from Ogbene and Obafemi. Let's hope neither get setbacks. Hogan and/or Keane should open their accounts against Malta at least.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

That's a pretty depressing list of options apart from Ogbene and Obafemi. Let's hope neither get setbacks. Hogan and/or Keane should open their accounts against Malta at least.

Tbf, it's a lot better than this time last year when Oba was injured, Ogbene was a rwb in L1, Robinson was out of favour, Hogan was bang out of form and Keane and Parrott were also in L1. Idah was probably injured and Connolly was on the lash Smile
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:30pm
So who is definitely out - Idah, Parrott, Azaz, Kelly, Mandroiu, Omabamidele? Connolly? Knight?

Kilkenny back in training I believe, but surely too late for him.

Really only Troy, Oma, Idah and potentially Knight from our first choice squad.
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:47pm

So who is definitely out - Idah, Parrott, Azaz, Kelly, Mandroiu, Omabamidele? Connolly? Knight?

Kilkenny back in training I believe, but surely too late for him.

Really only Troy, Oma, Idah and potentially Knight from our first choice squad.

Knights might make Liverpool mid week according to Derby. So I'd say if he plays a few minutes there and is involved in league action at the weekend he'll probably be in our squad 
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 1:29pm
I wonder what Haaland's current status is for next week?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

Probably sat somewhere in Manchester with the feet up relaxing, or back home in Norway. Can see Pep having a word with Norway about not selecting Haaland or only using him in one of the games.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 2:12pm

Will probably be going through the Ireland squad list to figure out which player he's going to go for a leg breaker on to avenge what Keane did to his dad.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Will probably be going through the Ireland squad list to figure out which player he's going to go for a leg breaker on to avenge what Keane did to his dad.

God help Will Keane if selected
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 3:03pm
Will he announce this week? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 3:04pm
Thursday more than likely after these mid week games.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Will he announce this week? 

Thursday afternoon  
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 3:13pm

I think it's probably too late in the process for that many changes tbh - these are the last two games in advance of the Qualifiers and Kenny has already indicated that changes will be minor.
I can't see how he could name eight or nine newcomers without naming a 30plus man squad and one would assume he wants to go with close to his likely starting XI for France against the Norwegians, so I don't see how he would give enough of them game time.

As you say, Smallbone, namechecked by Kenny and on the scoresheet since will almost certainly be one. I think Manning assuming he is fit will get another chance as the 5th wingback in the squad. I'd agree re Keane also, he's producing now in the Championship and there's a spot there with Parrott and others out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the extent of it, bar Hodge and/or Connolly actually getting starts between now and then or one of the Championship strikers e.g., Kelly banging in a heap of goals. It's likely too soon for the likes of Ferguson, Armstrong, Odubeko who all remain U21 eligible and Ebosele and Coventry just dont look like getting enough, if any, game time before then. Azaz is a dark horse but is certainly making a case for himself. Mc Grath hasn't done enough to force his way back in imo.

Agreed Hourihane should be gone!

We shouldn't pass up opportunities to see if we can add depth to our squad. There's nothing to loose by having a look at a few new faces, and plenty to gain if they impress in training or in a game.
*Keep in mind the U21s don't have anything scheduled (still completely bizarre to me, huge missed opportunity there).

It wouldn't really be 8-9 newcomers, only 3 or 4 as Coventry & Ebosele have been in squads before, and others would also be returning players, & most of Kenny's squads have been around 28 players anyway.

The Malta game is pretty useless for our best XI, much better off giving a game to fringe players & testing a few new faces, we might need to call on them next year.

Going off Septembers 24-man squad:
Kelleher in for O'Leary
Lenihan in for Scales
Smallbone in for Hourihane
McGrath in for Knight
Keane in for Parrott

Plus:
Manning
Coventry
Ebosele
Hodge
Szmodics
Maybe 1 of the young forwards just to train with the squad (Armstrong, Okoflex, Odubeko, Costelloe)

Makes a 29-30 man squad.

Yeah, cant see any other forward players being named with Idah, Connolly, Parrott and Kelly, who only had an outside chance in any case, all out. Next in line would be the likes of James Collins, Shane Long, Maguire based on minutes played. Of the youngsters probably Sinclair Armstrong and Odubeko, but both are still U21 eligible and neither have done enough for a senior call up imo.

I don't think so. I'll be shocked if Collins is ever called up again. Much like Hourihane, he lacks mobility & quality, is now 32 playing in League 1, & was never good enough to begin with.
Long is 36 in January, finished with International football. Maguire is managing injuries.

Any few more caps you could give them would be much better invested in young players.
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 3:40pm
Interesting that O’Leary is arguably our best goalkeeper on form. Bit harsh if he is dropped but presume he will be.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 6:02pm
With so many players missing it's potentially a blessing. These are friendlies after all god forbid if we beat Norway lads and even worse the players would.be inclined to take it a bit literally! 

Almost have no choice but to give at least one new young CM a run which I think we will do. Smallbone and Coventry I can see getting the nod!  We need to do it. Jason Knight was anonymous in the last two games and tbh even more annoying to my mind has shown zero ambition to try and kick on from Derby while the iron was hot at club level he shouldn't be considered a forgone conclusion going forward!

Edited by kevin100 - 08 Nov 2022 at 6:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 61>
  Share Topic