You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post Nations League poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
135 [79.41%]
35 [20.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I don’t think we’ll qualify for euro 2024 under Kenny
But don’t think we will under any possible manager either 

Which begs the question, given the choice, would we all rather little chance under Kenny or potentially some chance under "insert manager here"? We know where we're at with Kenny. There's always hope with change. The whole thing is so grim. 

As for your grim post. It certainly isn't. I enjoy most of the games we play under Kenny.  

1.) The situation is grim, not the performances

2.) In general, there's this sense that the options are Kenny or hoofball. Ok, smarty pants, who should be next manager? I don't know. Maybe somebody nobody knows? Maybe I'm on outlier but I never heard of that Australian bloke before Celtic. The idea that somebody as "progressive" as Kenny couldn't do a better job is either very naive or trolling on some level.

3.) I'm not anti kenny, but I'm definitely pro "is this working?"
But surely it should be the person who advocates change that comes up with the suggested appointment, not the other way round 

FWIW Michael O Neil is the sanest suggestion I’ve seen on here, certainly better than Glenn Hoddle, Chris Hughton & others 

I do not have the knowledge of all potential worldwide candidates. Currently, I am not heading up a football association. 

Have we reached a point where we can't have an opinion unless we suggest how to remedy it? I don't need to suggest a solution in order to point out a problem. A problem is a problem regardless.

Sure any gobsh*te can rant and rave and cry and moan about a perceived problem. The internet is full of such gobsh*tes in all walks of life. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:18am

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I don’t think we’ll qualify for euro 2024 under Kenny
But don’t think we will under any possible manager either 

Which begs the question, given the choice, would we all rather little chance under Kenny or potentially some chance under "insert manager here"? We know where we're at with Kenny. There's always hope with change. The whole thing is so grim. 

As for your grim post. It certainly isn't. I enjoy most of the games we play under Kenny.  

1.) The situation is grim, not the performances

2.) In general, there's this sense that the options are Kenny or hoofball. Ok, smarty pants, who should be next manager? I don't know. Maybe somebody nobody knows? Maybe I'm on outlier but I never heard of that Australian bloke before Celtic. The idea that somebody as "progressive" as Kenny couldn't do a better job is either very naive or trolling on some level.

3.) I'm not anti kenny, but I'm definitely pro "is this working?"
But surely it should be the person who advocates change that comes up with the suggested appointment, not the other way round 

FWIW Michael O Neil is the sanest suggestion I’ve seen on here, certainly better than Glenn Hoddle, Chris Hughton & others 

I do not have the knowledge of all potential worldwide candidates. Currently, I am not heading up a football association. 

Have we reached a point where we can't have an opinion unless we suggest how to remedy it? I don't need to suggest a solution in order to point out a problem. A problem is a problem regardless.
I understand that and haven’t said you’re not entitled to an opinion. 
You’ve said you’re not the head of an association but as far as I’m aware neither is Artie Ziff but you expect him to make suggestions when you won’t. 

That smarty pants line was reference to the line other people roll out all the time. That was not me asking for suggestions. I can only hope that the FAI's shortlist for next manager is not the usual suspects. The idea that any next manager comes from left field would suggest some homework has gone into it. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Slaven Bilic, Scott Parker, Brendan Rodger’s could be available soon, Micheal O’Neill, Chris Houghton Ole Gunner.

That’s in 2 minutes off the top of my head there is alternatives esp if the break in the contract is there.

I still think he will get the euros though.  

Howya John. How is London. 
Right so with that train of thought maybe some one like Gareth Ainsworth 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

In for me.

He's taken this group on players from U21 to now essentially a U23/24 team, he's had plenty of games to get a system bed in, which is lovely on the eye. Need to give him a proper go now at a qualifying campaign. 

Bear in mind most players don't peak till mid/late 20's, I think he deserves to be in charge when the current defenders/strikers are a bit more mature.
Thats all well and good but the FAI need the massive revenue accrued from tournament participation to invest in development at all levels in the country. Can the FAi wait until Euro 28 to qualify? So its a bit of catch 22 scenario and they are going all in with Kenny. 

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

In for me.

He's taken this group on players from U21 to now essentially a U23/24 team, he's had plenty of games to get a system bed in, which is lovely on the eye. Need to give him a proper go now at a qualifying campaign. 

Bear in mind most players don't peak till mid/late 20's, I think he deserves to be in charge when the current defenders/strikers are a bit more mature.
Thats all well and good but the FAI need the massive revenue accrued from tournament participation to invest in development at all levels in the country. Can the FAi wait until Euro 28 to qualify? So its a bit of catch 22 scenario and they are going all in with Kenny. 

So we’ll definitely qualify if we change manager. Good to know.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:46am
Fai need money to pay off their debt. A new poll and 7 pages from the same few posters.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I don't like offering names because it's a loaded question where once you mention a name you are ridiculed.

Boo hoo. Have some back bone and have the courage of your convictions

nobody would ridicule if you put a decent name forward but its always the same yesterday's men

Edited by Jimmy Raggatip - 28 Sep 2022 at 9:52am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

The majority of people who have commented as voting stay have acknowledged they do not believe he can get us to the Euros.

What is even the point then. All that can happen with another manager is we also dont qualify. But maybe we might.

I think if the players have clearly given up on him or we were clearly way off then it would be a different story.

But the situation is kind of we are being competitive in games but just stupid mistakes often what us costing us. Often individual stuff you can't necessarily blame on the coaching.
Now even I question "why does this keep happening, is there something we just won't get right?". But i still have a hope that we move forward and eradicate the mistakes so we can build on the good things that I can see.

A new manager and then likely they need 10 games to figure out their best team and we don't qualify most likely anyway.
No manager has immediately qualified us for a tournament other than Charlton, with a lot of luck with other teams doing us favours and MoN who also had a fair amount of luck with Scotland losing to Georgia that got us third place and a 2 leg play off that we did well in to be fair. 3rd place this time and we are in a play off but one of those ones with a semi and a final.
I would never have confidence that we would win one of those mini tournaments, just not in our DNA

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

I don't like offering names because it's a loaded question where once you mention a name you are ridiculed.

nobody would ridicule if you put a decent name forward but its always the same yesterday's men

Also by backing Kenny, those who want for him
To remain in charge are by its nature putting a name forward to be shot at and ridiculed which plenty on here have.  
AKA pedantic kunt
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:09am
I’d be more in favour if doing away with that Stephen Kenny putting on a show chant. So stupid when your scrapping wins v Armenia. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:13am
Mc Carthys last game in charge April 2020 - Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, Whelan, Hourihane, Mc Clean, Hendrick, Browne, Mc Goldrick SUBS USED (3) - Clark, Robinson, Maguire

Kenny's team vs Scotland September 2022 - Bazunu, Doherty, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Mc Clean, Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Obafemi, Parrott SUBS USED (5) - Ogbene, Coleman, Browne, Robinson, Brady

Just putting it out there, I was disappointed with the attitude of the players last night, how much of that can be pinned on Kenny is debatable. My view would be that the team desperately needed an overhaul when Mc Carthy left (Still think he should have got the play off). Kenny has introduced a lot of new players and has put together a very young team, while having to use a few senior pros, some of whom are past their peak. There's been a lot of flux since Kenny's first game in charge 2 years ago and Covid was a factor in early results. We are still building and getting there imo, so I would stick - he needs to get off to a decent start in the Euros. IMO he deserves the campaign, he's done a lot of the dirty work, he deserves a chance to prove he is now the right man. No more excuses from here on in, a good campaign is absolutely a requirement at this point.
Idah Dream!
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

I’d be more in favour if doing away with that Stephen Kenny putting on a show chant. So stupid when your scrapping wins v Armenia. 

Putting on a horror show
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

This is what the argument is now then? We can't get anyone better. Some nobody on a forum like me suggesting names and it's then seen as proof there is no one out there who could do a better job. The bottom line is that this has not been good enough. Kenny has had plenty of time and goodwill. In the past I have said that he is highly regarded here in Derry. I still love him for the incredible times he brought the city. I genuinely wanted him to do well. I just don't see it with Kenny. Some just seem so invested they can't see the wood for the trees. I think Kenny has done well in some aspects and it'd good to see guys like Bazunu, O'Shea, Collins, Cullen, Molumby and Obafemi coming through. I think there is the makings of a good team there. I don't think Kenny is the man to unlock it.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Mc Carthys last game in charge April 2020 - Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, Whelan, Hourihane, Mc Clean, Hendrick, Browne, Mc Goldrick SUBS USED (3) - Clark, Robinson, Maguire

Kenny's team vs Scotland September 2022 - Bazunu, Doherty, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Mc Clean, Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Obafemi, Parrott SUBS USED (5) - Ogbene, Coleman, Browne, Robinson, Brady

Just putting it out there, I was disappointed with the attitude of the players last night, how much of that can be pinned on Kenny is debatable. My view would be that the team desperately needed an overhaul when Mc Carthy left (Still think he should have got the play off). Kenny has introduced a lot of new players and has put together a very young team, while having to use a few senior pros, some of whom are past their peak. There's been a lot of flux since Kenny's first game in charge 2 years ago and Covid was a factor in early results. We are still building and getting there imo, so I would stick - he needs to get off to a decent start in the Euros. IMO he deserves the campaign, he's done a lot of the dirty work, he deserves a chance to prove he is now the right man. No more excuses from here on in, a good campaign is absolutely a requirement at this point.

Our first game in 2020 was under Kenny in September. Micks last game was 2019. 
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:23am

Pretty sure there was a bit of a dose of something going around in April 2020 that caused a few games to get cancelled.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Our first game in 2020 was under Kenny in September. Micks last game was 2019. 

Apologies, you are indeed correct, Nov 2019, Mick stepped down in April 2020.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:32am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Pretty sure there was a bit of a dose of something going around in April 2020 that caused a few games to get cancelled.

Apologies, points made still stand though!
Idah Dream!
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:52am
i don't see what changing the manager does at this stage , we really need to unearth a few midfielders this season , be it smallbone or coventry etc. My concern is that Hourihane should be nowhere near that squad but still gets picked and Hendrick at the same , even though he is playing well at Reading. 

There is simply no competition really in midfield when you look at our defence and to a lesser extent striking options . Even O'Dowda doing very well at Cardiff didn't get a look in last night and I'm not sure was that formation related etc. We also need to apply some pressure on Doherty and the young full back at Millwall should really get an opportunity because he can play that role and defend. Being honest i'm baffled by some of the game management from Kenny and his persistence with Parrot amongst other things but there isn't really anyone else out there to step in . Crowds are up etc and it's likely Norway will be full to capacity in November.
royal rover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
  Share Topic