You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official- The Orange State is Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official- The Orange State is Dead
    Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:27pm
Catholics are now officially in the majority in the 6 counties. Although religion certainly does not equate nationality (also borne out of the census results), this is quite a watershed moment in history of the island. 

The 'Protestant State for a Protestant Peope' is dead and not coming back. Whatever happens in the future to the constitutional position of the 6 counties, unionism will no longer be able to play the orange card. Unionism now actually will need the support of a sizable portion of the catholic electorate to maintain the status quo and safeguard the union. That's an incredible thing to witness given the history of the last 100 years on this island.

Bryson, Allister et al still haven't copped onto this yet of course. The sh*t fit 167 has been having twitter the last 24 hours is hilarious as it is predictable.

Any way, in the words of Yates..'all changed, changed utterly' 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
Surely this is negated somewhat by an increasing number of Catholics wanting to remain in the union and/or identifying as British? 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Catholics are now officially in the majority in the 6 counties. Although religion certainly does not equate nationality (also borne out of the census results), this is quite a watershed moment in history of the island. 

The 'Protestant State for a Protestant Peope' is dead and not coming back. Whatever happens in the future to the constitutional position of the 6 counties, unionism will no longer be able to play the orange card. Unionism now actually will need the support of a sizable portion of the catholic electorate to maintain the status quo and safeguard the union. That's an incredible thing to witness given the history of the last 100 years on this island.

Bryson, Allister et al still haven't copped onto this yet of course. The sh*t fit 167 has been having twitter the last 24 hours is hilarious as it is predictable.

After generations of hostilities, it all came down to riding in the end. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Surely this is negated somewhat by an increasing number of Catholics wanting to remain in the union and/or identifying as British? 

Is there?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Actually the number of people who identify as British across the board has fallen considerbly since 2011, from approx 40% to 31%. (A 3rd identity of 'Northern Irish' has emerged. This will be the middle ground targeted in any future boarder poll)

Equally there is a growing number of Protestants who would favour a UI, particularly since Brexit. Swings and roundabouts for sure. As I mentioned religion doesn't necessarily equate to nationally, but in the context of the North its a decent barometer.

If you look at the quite clearly overt sectarian nature of the 1st 70 odd years of the 6 county, this is quite a symbolic and historic shift in demographics. Playing it down as otherwise is nonsense.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:54pm
What it will come down to in a border poll may well be the votes of ethnic minorities, up to 3.4% I think it is now with Poles the largest grouping, and agnostics such as Alliance Party supporters. The bad treatment of ethnic minorities by loyalists may influence their views and a lot of agnostics are now leaning towards constitutional change not least because of Brexit. The prospect of getting back into the EU ( our “precious union”) would certainly be a significant campaigning issue. On top of which, you can never underestimate the stupidity and obduracy of political unionism. So-all good, then.

Edited by Green Cockade - 22 Sep 2022 at 12:55pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:03pm

Really ? last time i checked 42% wasnt a majority nor indeed is 46% !

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:09pm
I think its well known that public service is a huge employer in NI and many from the Catholic/Nationalist persuasion have belatedly forged decent paying careers therein. I wonder would that influence the more middle class nationalist thinking if they and their jobs are subsumed into the Republics public service and promotion chances reduced. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Sorry, worded poorly on my part. Catholics are now the largest faith group  in NI, but no faith group has an overall majority as you've pointed out. Still massively significant 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:26pm

Sorry, worded poorly on my part. Catholics are now the largest faith group  in NI, but no faith group has an overall majority as you've pointed out. Still massively significant 

Don’t worry we all knew what you meant!

Newryrep is a Unionist so he’s not happy with the Census results.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:27pm
I think the findings of this census would indicate that a border poll probably isn't as close as maybe was previously thought. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Don’t worry we all knew what you meant!

Newryrep is a Unionist so he’s not happy with the Census results.

Ah here LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:44pm
Unsurprisingly the British Government have refused to set out the criteria for a border poll with Brandon Lewis blatenly ignoring any correspondence in relation to the topic.

Some of the SOS for NI were so ignorant! with Karen Bradley not realising voting patterns in relation the orange v green.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:45pm
A lot of Cathics are now identifying as Northern Irish and not nationalists.

United Eire still miles off.  A premature referendum would actually do the cause more damage imo.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:47pm
On a side note I find some catholics from up north a strange breed. Confused.com
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:04pm
The “Northern Irish” category was thrown in as a deliberately mischievous construct. Anyone from Derry, Belfast etc is factually that so you would have literal minded people of a nationalist/ republican ethos ticking that box as well as drum banging Kyle Lafferty types. There is no way of knowing the proportions making up the overall group and the question was designed to that end. What will ultimately seal the fate of this sectarian statelet is the inability of political unionism to reinvent itself sufficiently to include or attract anyone outside the borders of its own inbred paranoid dystopia.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

United Eire still miles off.  A premature referendum would actually do the cause more damage imo.

I would concur with this. A lot of people in the census identify across multiple categories e.g. Irish & Northern Irish, Irish & British etc. I think over time that trend may well continue. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I would concur with this. A lot of people in the census identify across multiple categories e.g. Irish & Northern Irish, Irish & British etc. I think over time that trend may well continue. 

Irish identity is on the rise almost as quickly as British identity is dropping. Northern Irish identity, whilst rising, is not growing as quickly as Irish.

We should be planning for a boarder poll in 10 years 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic