You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armenia (h) nations league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaireOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:18am
In 117 tomorrow night, still a good atmosphere there or any chance of getting over closer towards 114?
Sponsored Links

Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

Depending on the fixture, there’s normally a supporters bus running from
Longford to LR if that’s any use to you. I’ll post up details if there’s one going next week. 

Is there any update on this buddy ?
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Obafemi------------Ogbene
Parrott

Brady------Cullen----Hendrick-----Doherty

Egan-----Duffy----Collins

Bazunu

I'd freshen it up a little bit for this one. Duffy's aerial threat might be useful. Brady would add extra creativity, as would Hendrick over Molumby (different type of game). We need to dominate possession.

I'd stick with Parrott. He needs a goal to build confidence. Obafemi and Ogbene's pace down the sides with him acting as the link man, is something I would like to see.

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

Cullen is suspended. 3-4-3 for me (I know, I know)

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

I'd have no problem with Brady in for Mc Clean, but Mc Clean did enough to keep his spot assuming he's fully fit. Brady might be worth the spot for his set piece delivery however. Fitness permitting, Matt should start again, he will be sharper for the 80 minutes on Saturday and I think Coleman's days as a starter are gone, particularly at RWB where he's never really looked comfortable. No reason to change the CB's (we might need Duffy on for the last 10 though Smile, hopefully not)

Jeff in for the suspended Cullen, Molumby to do the dirty work (Knight can come off the bench 2nd half to keep energy levels up)

I'd personally rest Troy for reasons outlined in other threads, but he can come in for Robinson off the bench. Obafemi and Hogan to share the minutes up top 60/30 depending on fitness.

Thats my preference, but it's a big call for Kenny. He can obviously go with 3 in midfield with Browne or Knight as the 3rd midfielder - I just dont think either offer enough in terms of their passing/output in a game where we need goals. If we had a Smallbone or the like, I'd be more inclined to do that and I'd see that as Smallbone's potential position in the team when he steps up in November.

We can't play with a forward 3, how many times have we seen it fail under Kenny. It has to be 3-5-2. We don't have the players to not play 2 up top

It's a concern for sure, but we played 5-2-3 over there with weaker personnel (Coleman and Stevens were the wing backs - No Obafemi) and while we lost, we were much the better team (I watched it back), so I dont think the formation was necessarily the issue -we had 65% possession, 6 corners to 2, 13 attempts to 9. At home, we are going to have a lot of possession again - I just dont see that the like of Knight or Browne as the 3rd midfielder are the kind of lads to help us break them down (Smallbone then maybe), so I'd go again with what should really have worked over there (we didnt actually play that badly despite the result imo). We will create chances, we have to take them.

@ John Nice, we were very much exposed on the break in the Armenia away match tho. There was too much space in midfield with just Cullen covering there by himself whenever Hendrick moved forward to join the attack.  Ukraine exposed the same problem in the next match.
I think having the three in midfield makes us less exposed to the break because Armenia's better players are attackers No8 Spertsyan (who scored against us in the last match) and No10 Zelarayain (who missed the last match when we played them but is back from injury now), their No 11 Barseghyan caused us serious problems too. We can't give these lads space.
Plus I think having more bodies in midfield means Ireland can commit our wing backs further up the pitch.
I watched bits of the last Armenia match too. Ogbene and Robinson actually got behind the Armenian defensive with some good through balls but those chances were all fluffed. A lot by Robinson, Ogbene actually created a few of the balls for Robinson.
Ogbene was fouled like feck in the last match because of his pace, that is why I called for both Ogbene and Obafemi start up top together as they will get behind the Armenia defence and I think the Armenians will not get way with as many fouls against us this time and I can see an Armenia red card if we start with pace up top. Just my thoughts

Edited by darman28 - 26 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Parrott

Bazunu

I'd freshen it up a little bit for this one. Duffy's aerial threat might be useful. Brady would add extra creativity, as would Hendrick over Molumby (different type of game). We need to dominate possession.

I'd stick with Parrott. He needs a goal to build confidence. Obafemi and Ogbene's pace down the sides with him acting as the link man, is something I would like to see.

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

I'd have no problem with Brady in for Mc Clean, but Mc Clean did enough to keep his spot assuming he's fully fit. Brady might be worth the spot for his set piece delivery however. Fitness permitting, Matt should start again, he will be sharper for the 80 minutes on Saturday and I think Coleman's days as a starter are gone, particularly at RWB where he's never really looked comfortable. No reason to change the CB's (we might need Duffy on for the last 10 though Smile, hopefully not)

Jeff in for the suspended Cullen, Molumby to do the dirty work (Knight can come off the bench 2nd half to keep energy levels up)

I'd personally rest Troy for reasons outlined in other threads, but he can come in for Robinson off the bench. Obafemi and Hogan to share the minutes up top 60/30 depending on fitness.

Thats my preference, but it's a big call for Kenny. He can obviously go with 3 in midfield with Browne or Knight as the 3rd midfielder - I just dont think either offer enough in terms of their passing/output in a game where we need goals. If we had a Smallbone or the like, I'd be more inclined to do that and I'd see that as Smallbone's potential position in the team when he steps up in November.

We can't play with a forward 3, how many times have we seen it fail under Kenny. It has to be 3-5-2. We don't have the players to not play 2 up top

It's a concern for sure, but we played 5-2-3 over there with weaker personnel (Coleman and Stevens were the wing backs - No Obafemi) and while we lost, we were much the better team (I watched it back), so I dont think the formation was necessarily the issue -we had 65% possession, 6 corners to 2, 13 attempts to 9. At home, we are going to have a lot of possession again - I just dont see that the like of Knight or Browne as the 3rd midfielder are the kind of lads to help us break them down (Smallbone then maybe), so I'd go again with what should really have worked over there (we didnt actually play that badly despite the result imo). We will create chances, we have to take them.

@ John Nice, we were very much exposed on the break in the Armenia away match tho. There was too much space in midfield with just Cullen covering there by himself whenever Hendrick moved forward to join the attack.  Ukraine exposed the same problem in the next match.
I think having the three in midfield makes us less exposed to the break because Armenia's better players are attackers No8 Spertsyan (who scored against us in the last match) and No10 Zelarayain (who missed the last match when we played them but is back from injury now), their No 11 Barseghyan caused us serious problems too. We can't give these lads space.
Plus I think having more bodies in midfield means Ireland can commit our wing backs further up the pitch.
I watched bits of the last Armenia match too. Ogbene and Robinson actually got behind the Armenian defensive with some good through balls but those chances were all fluffed. A lot by Robinson, Ogbene actually created a few of the balls for Robinson.
Ogbene was fouled like feck in the last match because of his pace, that is why I called for both Ogbene and Obafemi start up top together as they will get behind the Armenia defence and I think the Armenians will not get way with as many fouls against us this time and I can see an Armenia red card if we start with pace up top. Just my thoughts

Fair enough, I agree they are a threat on the break (better than some on here give them credit for), that's why I'd want both Molumby and Hendrick to sit and shift across when the wing backs push on, but I just think we need to get Ogbene on the pitch one way or another. He will surely be chomping at the bit, having been left out on Saturday. Whether that's in a 2 or a 3 is one for the manager, but he has to get a player who is in good scoring form at club level on to the pitch. We must take our chances - if we can take an early one, we can go on and win comfortably, but if we miss a couple early and end up 0-0 at half time, the pressure will really start to build.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:38pm

Parrott

Bazunu

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

Fair enough, I agree they are a threat on the break (better than some on here give them credit for), that's why I'd want both Molumby and Hendrick to sit and shift across when the wing backs push on, but I just think we need to get Ogbene on the pitch one way or another. He will surely be chomping at the bit, having been left out on Saturday. Whether that's in a 2 or a 3 is one for the manager, but he has to get a player who is in good scoring form at club level on to the pitch. We must take our chances - if we can take an early one, we can go on and win comfortably, but if we miss a couple early and end up 0-0 at half time, the pressure will really start to build.

Just also on this point, we are playing 3 at the back also, so 3 in midfield (none of whom are particularly creative/threatening) seems like overkill, regardless of their threat on the break. If we had played it successfully more often, there's even probably an argument to go with a 4-3-3 in a game like this, but I dont think thats a realistic call at this point in our development.
Idah Dream!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:09pm
Looking forward to this tomorrow night, hopefully Parrott starts and gets a goal to get the boo boys off his back!! Well saying that it’s mainly the armchair fans on here having a go at him, he’ll get plenty of backing from actual match going fans tomorrow night.
Poh19 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poh19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:15pm
I’ve 3 tickets together in block 113 for sale, for Armenia.
Can sell them together or individual. €20 each.. Lower than face value I think. 
Message me on 07793271051
Pierce. 
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:34pm

Edited by Cabs88 - 26 Sep 2022 at 3:44pm
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

Depending on the fixture, there’s normally a supporters bus running from
Longford to LR if that’s any use to you. I’ll post up details if there’s one going next week. 

Is there any update on this buddy ?

Apologies for delay, message only went up there. Contact Peter on 0872917307
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
CatalanCelt1 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatalanCelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:45pm
Some effort to take time off and head up to big smoke for this tomorrow. Especially after only arriving back home at 2.30am this morning and on the road to work at 7am.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm

Parrott

Bazunu

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

Just also on this point, we are playing 3 at the back also, so 3 in midfield (none of whom are particularly creative/threatening) seems like overkill, regardless of their threat on the break. If we had played it successfully more often, there's even probably an argument to go with a 4-3-3 in a game like this, but I dont think thats a realistic call at this point in our development.

Kenny said in the presser today that he won't be changing to a 4 at the back. He also mentioned that Armenia are a counter attacking team. I just think we are playing into their hands with just two in midfield especially since we are without Cullen.
I agree with you that we need an early goal to settle into the match and get the Aviva crowd roaring and behind the team.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 5:35pm
Theres no 2 ways about it, we need a 3rd man in midfield against these types of teams. Hes made the same mistake against these away earlier in the campaign, Lithuania earlier in the year, Azerbaijan and Qatar last year. We cannot play 3-4-3 with 1) such a poor midfielder 2 and 2) without a clinical finisher that can play up front on their own.  
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Theres no 2 ways about it, we need a 3rd man in midfield against these types of teams. Hes made the same mistake against these away earlier in the campaign, Lithuania earlier in the year, Azerbaijan and Qatar last year. We cannot play 3-4-3 with 1) such a poor midfielder 2 and 2) without a clinical finisher that can play up front on their own.  

The problem for me is that none our midfielders either score or create regularly, so you are left with a real paucity of potential goal scorers on the pitch. It's a conundrum and one we have to solve going forward. I'd like to see us try 433 again in November, despite our stock of excellent CB's, and get Smallbone involved. Think we will need another string to our bow in time!
Idah Dream!
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:22pm
I'd like to see Ogbene start but at the same time I don't see him playing with Obafemi and I wouldn't want Obafemi dropped.

I think Parrott needs dropping after that miss which I agree is harsh... but you can't be missing chances like that ffs. At the same time though, I've never seen much from Hogan despite his decent start to the season.

I'd bring Brady in for McClean. Nothing on McClean, I think he was fine against Scotland, but we'll need more guile than aggression against Armenia.

O'Dowda or Browne for Knight, he was a wasted jersey when we were in.
 possession.

Hendrick for Cullen, please please don't let it be Hourihane.

I'd keep the same back 3. I'd probably keep Doherty in there, he showed some real silky touches in possession and moved us forward really well. Him and Collins could be a great avenue for getting the ball moving up the pitch with purpose. At the same time I wouldn't begrudge Coleman getting a game
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 4:38am
I'm not sure Brady is the answer to our left wing back spot but it wouldn't do any harm to have him play a full game there. 

I'd stick with Parrott and Obafemi give it another go I thought they linked up well. If Parrott had scored then no one would be calling for him to be dropped. Ogbene is a good replacement to come in. 

Scotland and Ukraine have tanked these boys, it really shines a light on our loss to them. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I'm not sure Brady is the answer to our left wing back spot but it wouldn't do any harm to have him play a full game there. 

I'd stick with Parrott and Obafemi give it another go I thought they linked up well. If Parrott had scored then no one would be calling for him to be dropped. Ogbene is a good replacement to come in. 

Scotland and Ukraine have tanked these boys, it really shines a light on our loss to them. 
Would agree with this. 

No need for big changes, just get the job done 
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

The only worry I have is that Armenia were the better team for most of the first half in the Ukraine game. We could do with scoring early tonight
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:20am

Parrott

Bazunu

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

There's no can't. Teams have to be adaptable and be willing to change if needed.

Scotland played with a back three for several years until they switched to a back four against Ukraine. They won comfortably and stuck with it for the game against us.

For games like Armenia at home, we have to be able to adapt. We need to dominate the game. You take more risks against certain opposition. Otherwise you don't get your reward.

Parrott is well capable of dropping back into a three if needed. Formations change during different phases of the play. It's not set in stone.

Edited by Banana_RepublicFC - 27 Sep 2022 at 11:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic