You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armenia (h) nations league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I thought Molumby has had a good window, he looks to have improved a fair bit, he’s still a bit rash but going in the right direction. 
Sadly Knight is the reverse. Doesn’t seem anywhere near the level he was at a few months back, playing at wingback presumably the issue. 
Very surprised Ogbene didn’t get a run. He’s had a very good season so far so seems a mistake from SK 
Cullen is such an important player for us, we’re half the team without him. 

Molumby did well vs Scotland, but was utterly reckless last night, he needs to stamp that out. I dont think he will ever be a 6, he lacks the discipline both positionally and generally. He's an 8 who isnt particularly good on the ball and rarely assists/scores goals. He can be useful in games where we expect to have less of the ball in midfield, not so much in games where we dominate possession. I certainly wouldnt have him as an automatic starter by any means.

Knight needs to move on, he needs to challenge himself now. In his defence, he simply isnt a 10 in my opinion, he's unfortunately another 8, but I do think long term he's a better option than Molumby in that role.

Yeah Ogbene's omission is baffling, I hope it was injury related, because otherwise he has every right to be extremely pissed off.

Cullen is critical to the way we play - I understand lads calling for Coventry to come in as his understudy, but Coventry is a fair way off and wont be playing regular football until January at the earliest. It might be a case of needs must though. Love him or hate him, I think Jeff probably remains the best option to play as a 6 if Cullen is out, or maybe have both himself and Knight/Molumby sitting. It's a problem, let's hope Cullen stays fit.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

We won against arguably the poorest team to come to the Aviva in a number of years.  A win is a win. 

that said, I go to games now not having the slightest idea what to expect from the team - it's Jeckyll and Hyde stuff from game to game, and in some instances DURING the game. 

I can't figure what SK sees in Hourihane and Hendrick tbh.

They have both been consistently awful for Ireland too often to merit continued inclusion.

SK's poor selections above aside, a number of players performed abysmally in the 2nd half in particular. That's not acceptable and they need to look at themselves as we go towards the Euros.

delighted for Brady given his challenges in recent times, but he is not the answer either.

The Norway friendly to me is a really important barometer around SK's thinking for the Euros.

SK needs to sit down and decide on how he wants Ireland to play and stick with it.  

he's had 2 years to get ready for the qualifiers - he needs to get some consistency going.

A couple of things on this, Brady is the same age as young Doherty and both are 3 years younger than McClean, if he stays fit and based on his performance last night there is no reason not to have him in the squad. Great delivery from corners and hardly put a foot wrong.

The Norway friendly is an opportunity to bring in Smallbone, Coventry and maybe a few others, there is no reason to decide on a style of play and rigidly stick to it. One of the early criticisms is that we were too fluid and results improved when we switched to a more counter attacking and pragmatic approach.

I 100% agree that we need concistency in our performances and he needs to look at the substitutions. Some of his decisions in this window were baffling.

Sorry, Brady did ok in the attacking aspects of the game but he is a bombscare defensively - still worthy of a place in the squad, he's playing regularly in the Championship, that should now be the benchmark, but I wouldnt be trusting him at LWB vs strong opposition.

Has anybody confirmed whether or not Dozie was injured? Very poor decision not to involve him last night if he was fit.

Personally, I thought other than his set pieces Brady all round play was very mixed. I though he was poor the first half, improved the second.
I thought there was too many times he took too many touches and laboured on the ball when we needed to be quicker, like quick passing, one-twos etc. There were several times, especially in the first half, he had options but he closed those option by not being quick enough and taking too many touches unnecessary.
It was Brady's hospital pass to Molumby that resulted in his first yellow card. Maybe Molumby was a bit rash but at the same Armenia were open to counter if Molumby didn't do anything.
I'd still have McClean over Brady TBH because his lack of pace is liability defensively. But Brady's set pieces are a big asset.

Edited by darman28 - 28 Sep 2022 at 10:11am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:27am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

We won against arguably the poorest team to come to the Aviva in a number of years.  A win is a win. 

that said, I go to games now not having the slightest idea what to expect from the team - it's Jeckyll and Hyde stuff from game to game, and in some instances DURING the game. 

I can't figure what SK sees in Hourihane and Hendrick tbh.

They have both been consistently awful for Ireland too often to merit continued inclusion.

SK's poor selections above aside, a number of players performed abysmally in the 2nd half in particular. That's not acceptable and they need to look at themselves as we go towards the Euros.

delighted for Brady given his challenges in recent times, but he is not the answer either.

The Norway friendly to me is a really important barometer around SK's thinking for the Euros.

SK needs to sit down and decide on how he wants Ireland to play and stick with it.  

he's had 2 years to get ready for the qualifiers - he needs to get some consistency going.

A couple of things on this, Brady is the same age as young Doherty and both are 3 years younger than McClean, if he stays fit and based on his performance last night there is no reason not to have him in the squad. Great delivery from corners and hardly put a foot wrong.

The Norway friendly is an opportunity to bring in Smallbone, Coventry and maybe a few others, there is no reason to decide on a style of play and rigidly stick to it. One of the early criticisms is that we were too fluid and results improved when we switched to a more counter attacking and pragmatic approach.

I 100% agree that we need concistency in our performances and he needs to look at the substitutions. Some of his decisions in this window were baffling.

Sorry, Brady did ok in the attacking aspects of the game but he is a bombscare defensively - still worthy of a place in the squad, he's playing regularly in the Championship, that should now be the benchmark, but I wouldnt be trusting him at LWB vs strong opposition.

Has anybody confirmed whether or not Dozie was injured? Very poor decision not to involve him last night if he was fit.

Personally, I thought other than his set pieces Brady all round play was very mixed. I though he was poor the first half, improved the second.
I thought there was too many times he took too many touches and laboured on the ball when we needed to be quicker, like quick passing, one-twos etc. There were several times, especially in the first half, he had options but he closed those option by not being quick enough and taking too many touches unnecessary.
It was Brady's hospital pass to Molumby that resulted in his first yellow card. Maybe Molumby was a bit rash but at the same Armenia were open to counter if Molumby didn't do anything.
I'd still have McClean over Brady TBH because his lack of pace is liability defensively. But Brady's set pieces are a big asset.

Agreed, his set pieces are an asset, but he has to take his defensive responsibilities seriously also and work hard to get back in to position after he takes them. I thought he was one of several who seemed more interesting in attacking than defending the hard won 2 goal lead. For an experienced head, he went missing defensively too often when the pressure came on. I did not  think he was good 2nd half at all.
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:42am

I thought Molumby has had a good window, he looks to have improved a fair bit, he’s still a bit rash but going in the right direction. 
Sadly Knight is the reverse. Doesn’t seem anywhere near the level he was at a few months back, playing at wingback presumably the issue. 
Very surprised Ogbene didn’t get a run. He’s had a very good season so far so seems a mistake from SK 

Yes I agree Molumby's stock has risen in the past 4 matches. I thought he did well on the number 6 position in the first half. He did needed to be taken off tho as his head was gone and was a very frustrated.
Yes Knight works very hard, covers a lot of ground but he didn't do much in possession this window. Playing out of position and in League One probably does help.
 But I still don't think either Molumby or Knight have anything to fear losing their starting place with the other midfield options in the squad. Hourihane, Browne and Hendrick, all had a very poor window. The sooner they are replaced in the squad the better. That is defo Hourihane's last International football match.
The midfield depth is a big problem, the options are limited and the next generation (Smallbone, Coventry, Kilkenny, etc) are a year or two behind were they need to be an option in the starting line-up for the Euro campaign. Might need to look for some granny rulers to increase our options in midfield for the short term.
Another player who I thought was really good this window was O'Shea. I thought he was very composed throughout both matches, won all his headers and tackles, his general play and passing out from the back was very good. 

Edited by darman28 - 28 Sep 2022 at 10:47am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:52am

Yes I agree Molumby's stock has risen in the past 4 matches. I thought he did well on the number 6 position in the first half. He did needed to be taken off tho as his head was gone and was a very frustrated.
Yes Knight works very hard, covers a lot of ground but he didn't do much in possession this window. Playing out of position and in League One probably does help.
 But I still don't think either Molumby or Knight have anything to fear losing their starting place with the other midfield options in the squad. Hourihane, Browne and Hendrick, all had a very poor window. The sooner they are replaced in the squad the better. That is defo Hourihane's last International football match.
The midfield depth is a big problem, the options are limited and the next generation (Smallbone, Coventry, Kilkenny, etc) are a year or two behind were they need to be an option in the starting line-up for the Euro campaign. Might need to look for some granny rulers to increase our options in midfield for the short term.
Another player who I thought was really good this window was O'Shea. I thought he was very composed throughout both matches, won all his headers and tackles, his general play and passing out from the back was very good. 

Agree re O'Shea, I thought his use of the ball from the back was the best of the 3 CBs and he was probably the most disciplined of the 3, helping Mc Clean and Brady defensively when required over both games. Great to see him back to his best. He'll be hard to shift from that LCB role.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:12pm

Agree re O'Shea, I thought his use of the ball from the back was the best of the 3 CBs and he was probably the most disciplined of the 3, helping Mc Clean and Brady defensively when required over both games. Great to see him back to his best. He'll be hard to shift from that LCB role.

Thought O'Shea had two very good games and agree on the passing and defending and covering. Omobamidele, as good as he is,  has a real job on his hands to shift any of that trio. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:21pm

Is there anyone else to consider in midfield? It would be great if Mark Sykes got into midfield instead of wing back, for selfish reasons. Smallbone, Coventry, Kilkenny, Devoy, Connell are in with the 21s and hopefully Smallbone can progress. Coventry needs a loan. Kilkenny needs games. Devoy and Connell need to walk before they can run at League One level. Joe Hodge could progress rapidly but is a medium term option, not short term. Jack Taylor and Jake Doyle Hayes aren't presently close but could get close in a while. 

I'd have Browne and Hendrick behind Cullen, Knight and Molumby at present. I don't understand how Hourihane came on ahead of Browne. Different players but one is capable and the other ain't.  

We need a few midfielders to come through. We have depth at the back and front which we don't have in the middle or at right wing back. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:37pm
Could any our glut of centre backs be cover for Cullen and tried in Malta I wonder.  

Duffy no
Egan no 
Coleman no 
O Shea possibly 
Collins unlikely 
Omobamidele  I think looks like he could be tried there

Edited by Baldrick - 28 Sep 2022 at 12:39pm
AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Is there anyone else to consider in midfield? It would be great if Mark Sykes got into midfield instead of wing back, for selfish reasons. Smallbone, Coventry, Kilkenny, Devoy, Connell are in with the 21s and hopefully Smallbone can progress. Coventry needs a loan. Kilkenny needs games. Devoy and Connell need to walk before they can run at League One level. Joe Hodge could progress rapidly but is a medium term option, not short term. Jack Taylor and Jake Doyle Hayes aren't presently close but could get close in a while. 

I'd have Browne and Hendrick behind Cullen, Knight and Molumby at present. I don't understand how Hourihane came on ahead of Browne. Different players but one is capable and the other ain't.  

We need a few midfielders to come through. We have depth at the back and front which we don't have in the middle or at right wing back. 

I think LWB is also a looming problem, Mc Clean 33 now and I'm not convinced Brady will ever be good enough defensively. There's Manning who doesnt seem to be fancied, Scales who is playing as a CB and Bagan who has lost his ft spot at Cardiff. GK/CB/ST look ok in terms of depth, but we do need a couple of the young strikers to start actually putting the ball in the net on a regular basis at club level.

As for other midfielders, Harness or Szmodics as a 10, Mc Grath to bounce back, Ronan to get a game at Wolves, Mandroiu to get in to the team at Lincoln. Slim pickings, if any of them have it in them to kick on, now would be the time. Realistically I think Smallbone is closest, think he could do a good job as the most advanced CM in our 5-3-2.
Idah Dream!
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Could any our glut of centre backs be cover for Cullen and tried in Malta I wonder.  

Duffy no
Egan no 
Coleman no 
O Shea possibly 
Collins unlikely 
Too much to ask a young lad who never played their at league level. Coventry and Smallbone should step up from the u21s - how competent they’d be we can only find out by playing them, but they are only backups in dire situation for 2023 games.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Duffy no
Egan no 
Coleman no 
O Shea possibly 
Collins unlikely 
Too much to ask a young lad who never played their at league level. Coventry and Smallbone should step up from the u21s - how competent they’d be we can only find out by playing them, but they are only backups in dire situation for 2023 games.

Coventry, yes only in an emergency, but Smallbone can step in to the first XI very soon, he's at least as good as Knight in that 10 role already imo and it then allows you to potentially use Knight as the 8. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised to see those 2 with Cullen as the 6 emerge as the first choice midfield by the time next season starts.

I agree re Omobamidele - I just dont think its as easy to switch up position as people think at elite level
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:47pm

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I think LWB is also a looming problem, Mc Clean 33 now and I'm not convinced Brady will ever be good enough defensively. There's Manning who doesnt seem to be fancied, Scales who is playing as a CB and Bagan who has lost his ft spot at Cardiff. GK/CB/ST look ok in terms of depth, but we do need a couple of the young strikers to start actually putting the ball in the net on a regular basis at club level.

As for other midfielders, Harness or Szmodics as a 10, Mc Grath to bounce back, Ronan to get a game at Wolves, Mandroiu to get in to the team at Lincoln. Slim pickings, if any of them have it in them to kick on, now would be the time. Realistically I think Smallbone is closest, think he could do a good job as the most advanced CM in our 5-3-2.

Yes cover in RWB is a concern too, we need better cover there than Coleman or Browne in the short term. I think Sykes will get called up for that in the next window. McNamara has lost his place recently.
I think LWB is more medium term as Manning is an option even if he is down the pecking order right now.
I think we are stuck with Browne and Hendrick in the squad for the foreseeable future unfortunately.
None of the options both of you mentioned in midfield would fill you with confidence to force their way into starting 11 over the Euro campaign. They are all either injured, just not playing enough and the ones that are playing it is in League One level or they hardly setting the world a light in the Championship and SPL.
But saying that other midfield options need to be looked at in the next window, a replacement for Hourihane's token call up to the squad is defo on the cards, he just can't be justified anymore after that last match, he has to be ClarkedLOL.
I hope some of our midfield options can start putting there hand up over the next few weeks.

Edited by darman28 - 28 Sep 2022 at 1:49pm
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:33pm
Wasn't able to see the game vs Armenia, but going on highlights and reading about it, I agree with what's being said here - CB is sorted, ans Obafemi is #1 forward for now
I'd like to see Kelleher come back into contention.

Would Omobamidele be able to move over to RW back?

The midfield is paper thin. Knight hadn't a good game against either Scotland or Armenia, one in which we were reacting, the other we were dominating. Will he come good again? His high tempo style could do with some good coaching or it'll wane as he gets older, very soon.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:58pm
I back Kenny, but if he ever plays Hendrick again I will start to move to the Damien Delaney camp!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:38pm
Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but the entire starting 11 last night were Irish born. I can't remember when that last happened.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by turbo10 turbo10 wrote:

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but the entire starting 11 last night were Irish born. I can't remember when that last happened.
Yep noticed that.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:43pm
Wales 2020 apparently.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by turbo10 turbo10 wrote:

Yep noticed that.....
Was mentioned a bit on twitter. Don't think it matters too much to be honest. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic