Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armenia (h) nations league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:35am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

For 70 mins we were in complete control, probably should've had at least 3 goals but we got 2. What exactly do people expect from a team of young championship players?

Out of nowhere they score 2 long range goals, 1 of which was a mistake from the keeper. 

From there we got a little desperate and ragged but managed to find a winner. I'd typically say we got lucky to win that kind of peno but considering the exact same type of peno was given against us just a couple days ago I don't give a f**k and will take it all day. 

The fact Armenia scored twice with an XG of 0.17 says everything.

The 0.17 XG I didn't think it would be that low.

It was the type of thing that would only happen to us isn't it. The U21 game the same just nothing happening for Irish football at the moment beyond the get out of jail we got tonight.

The penos and the 2 goals all happened in a 5 to 10 min spell.  I thought it was going to be the worst 10 mins in Irish football history. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:39am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

For 70 mins we were in complete control, probably should've had at least 3 goals but we got 2. What exactly do people expect from a team of young championship players?

Out of nowhere they score 2 long range goals, 1 of which was a mistake from the keeper. 

From there we got a little desperate and ragged but managed to find a winner. I'd typically say we got lucky to win that kind of peno but considering the exact same type of peno was given against us just a couple days ago I don't give a f**k and will take it all day. 

The 0.17 XG I didn't think it would be that low.

It was the type of thing that would only happen to us isn't it. The U21 game the same just nothing happening for Irish football at the moment beyond the get out of jail we got tonight.

That’s the U21s best ever performance in that competition and the senior team’s best ever go in this one… if you like your glass half empty those facts won’t interest you though 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:53am
Doherty, Collins and Brady seem to have escaped criticism here, all 3 nominally defenders, 2 of them very experienced, who decided they'd just do a victory lap at 2 nil up with 30 minutes to play. Very few should escape criticism for that sh*t show, Baz too. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:21am

Just one point, it was a peno all day long, it's a goal bound effort blocked by a hand in an unnatural position. It's a much clearer penalty than the one Scotland got against us, where Dykes was clearly part of the reason why browne went over like he did. Both were probably peno, but the one tonight was clearcut and not really debatable imo despite the foolish Armenian protests!

Idah Dream!
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:46am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Just one point, it was a peno all day long, it's a goal bound effort blocked by a hand in an unnatural position. It's a much clearer penalty than the one Scotland got against us, where Dykes was clearly part of the reason why browne went over like he did. Both were probably peno, but the one tonight was clearcut and not really debatable imo despite the foolish Armenian protests!

I agree both were peno's
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:57am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

I've defended Hourihane and do think he gets more stick than he deserves but agree there is little point in picking him at this stage ahead of young guys who could do with the experience. Limited and all as Hourihane is and was, he was always very eager to play for his country and had some good moments. But time to move on, no doubt.

He is undoubtedly one of the worse players to ever get 40 caps for us. He is lazy, half-hearted and utterly inept. 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:58am
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Serious amount of dopes in Celtic gear in 116 tonight. Screaming "HUN BASTARD" at everything.

If there was, then, they’re not Celtic fans, they’re just absolute clowns. 
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Serious amount of dopes in Celtic gear in 116 tonight. Screaming "HUN BASTARD" at everything.

If there was, then, they’re not Celtic fans, they’re just absolute clowns. 

Probably still on the session from the weekend and practising their new found sayings 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:14am
I thought we were poor last night. Obafemi was the only one who played well in my eyes. I was at the other end of the pitch for their two goals and couldn't really see but having watched them back, I feel Bazunu should have done better. I think he's been great for us but for the second goal especially he was poor. That midfield trio of Cullen, Molumby and Knight really works but when one is out particularly Cullen - we look so much weaker. It might be harsh but other than occasionally hitting a nice cross - I have no idea what Hourihane brings. 

Edited by Dunne23 - 28 Sep 2022 at 8:16am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:57am
I thought Molumby has had a good window, he looks to have improved a fair bit, he’s still a bit rash but going in the right direction. 
Sadly Knight is the reverse. Doesn’t seem anywhere near the level he was at a few months back, playing at wingback presumably the issue. 
Very surprised Ogbene didn’t get a run. He’s had a very good season so far so seems a mistake from SK 
Cullen is such an important player for us, we’re half the team without him. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:07am
Sad fact is that if we have to pick the likes of Hourihane, Hendrick. Hogan and Browne in our squads we are going nowhere.
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:14am
Hoping Coventry, Kilkenny, Smallbone may get squad call-ups in November.
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:18am
We won against arguably the poorest team to come to the Aviva in a number of years.  A win is a win. 

that said, I go to games now not having the slightest idea what to expect from the team - it's Jeckyll and Hyde stuff from game to game, and in some instances DURING the game. 

I can't figure what SK sees in Hourihane and Hendrick tbh.

They have both been consistently awful for Ireland too often to merit continued inclusion.

SK's poor selections above aside, a number of players performed abysmally in the 2nd half in particular. That's not acceptable and they need to look at themselves as we go towards the Euros.

delighted for Brady given his challenges in recent times, but he is not the answer either.

The Norway friendly to me is a really important barometer around SK's thinking for the Euros.

SK needs to sit down and decide on how he wants Ireland to play and stick with it.  

he's had 2 years to get ready for the qualifiers - he needs to get some consistency going.

Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by musicinmouth musicinmouth wrote:

Smallbone will, he's playing regularly for Stoke, Kilkenny wont, he may not even have recovered from injury and when he does, he'll have a job getting in to the Stoke team before he should be considered. Coventry is in an unfortunate position, he's unlikely to play much or at all for West Ham - I personally dont think he's ready for the seniors yet in any case - he needs a Championship loan in the second half of the season. Connolly is another real option to step back up if he can stay in the first team at Venezia, but outside of him and Smallbone I dont see too many others, maybe Ebosele, maybe Azaz who looked impressive on his U21 debut.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by musicinmouth musicinmouth wrote:

Smallbone will, he's playing regularly for Stoke, Kilkenny wont, he may not even have recovered from injury and when he does, he'll have a job getting in to the Stoke team before he should be considered. Coventry is in an unfortunate position, he's unlikely to play much or at all for West Ham - I personally dont think he's ready for the seniors yet in any case - he needs a Championship loan in the second half of the season. Connolly is another real option to step back up if he can stay in the first team at Venezia, but outside of him and Smallbone I dont see too many others, maybe Ebosele, maybe Azaz who looked impressive on his U21 debut.

Sykes and maybe Mc Namara are probably worth a call up also. Both are young enough, playing at the requisite level and can play in positions where we arent blessed with options going forward.
Idah Dream!
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:31am
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

We won against arguably the poorest team to come to the Aviva in a number of years.  A win is a win. 

that said, I go to games now not having the slightest idea what to expect from the team - it's Jeckyll and Hyde stuff from game to game, and in some instances DURING the game. 

They have both been consistently awful for Ireland too often to merit continued inclusion.

SK's poor selections above aside, a number of players performed abysmally in the 2nd half in particular. That's not acceptable and they need to look at themselves as we go towards the Euros.

delighted for Brady given his challenges in recent times, but he is not the answer either.

The Norway friendly to me is a really important barometer around SK's thinking for the Euros.

SK needs to sit down and decide on how he wants Ireland to play and stick with it.  

he's had 2 years to get ready for the qualifiers - he needs to get some consistency going.

A couple of things on this, Brady is the same age as young Doherty and both are 3 years younger than McClean, if he stays fit and based on his performance last night there is no reason not to have him in the squad. Great delivery from corners and hardly put a foot wrong.

The Norway friendly is an opportunity to bring in Smallbone, Coventry and maybe a few others, there is no reason to decide on a style of play and rigidly stick to it. One of the early criticisms is that we were too fluid and results improved when we switched to a more counter attacking and pragmatic approach.

I 100% agree that we need concistency in our performances and he needs to look at the substitutions. Some of his decisions in this window were baffling.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:34am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Sad fact is that if we have to pick the likes of Hourihane, Hendrick. Hogan and Browne in our squads we are going nowhere.

I would dispense with Hourihane for sure, Hogan is a maybe, only because we have a fair few attacking prospects, but if he continues to score goals at his current rate i.e. 1 in 2, then he should remain in - Connolly should be back in the squad if he retains his spot at Venezia. I think Hendrick and Browne are still needed, we cant just go out and buy lads to replace them. Both are playing regular Championship football and we dont have a plethora of options in midfield. Smallbone to replace Hourihane for sure.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:37am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

A couple of things on this, Brady is the same age as young Doherty and both are 3 years younger than McClean, if he stays fit and based on his performance last night there is no reason not to have him in the squad. Great delivery from corners and hardly put a foot wrong.

The Norway friendly is an opportunity to bring in Smallbone, Coventry and maybe a few others, there is no reason to decide on a style of play and rigidly stick to it. One of the early criticisms is that we were too fluid and results improved when we switched to a more counter attacking and pragmatic approach.

I 100% agree that we need concistency in our performances and he needs to look at the substitutions. Some of his decisions in this window were baffling.

Sorry, Brady did ok in the attacking aspects of the game but he is a bombscare defensively - still worthy of a place in the squad, he's playing regularly in the Championship, that should now be the benchmark, but I wouldnt be trusting him at LWB vs strong opposition.

Has anybody confirmed whether or not Dozie was injured? Very poor decision not to involve him last night if he was fit.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic