You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armenia (h) nations league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think smallbone and Coventry will be promoted for Euros
Neither of them are even close to ready so we’re absolutely f*cked if Cullen + Molumby get injured or suspended

Smallbone absolutely is, doing it week in/out in the Championship now has prior PL experience too and was probably our best player for the u21s since coming back from injury.

Put it this was hes up to more than Hourihane and Hendrick.

I watched full u21s match and thought Smallbone was poor tbh
I thought he was our best player despite having to do all the donkey work, created our best chances, only player who connected with connolly at all. Our best spell was when him, Azaz and connolly linked up.

That was the first u21 match I saw in full so I am hardly well positioned to judge, but thought Lee O Connor was MOTM.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Far too many people on here way too relaxed. The constant reoccurring issues with this Irish team is frightening. We are really not in a good place going into the Euros. 

I kind of agree. Ive been a Kenny fan but we go 2-2 and we bring on Robinson and Browne. Ogbene has been in flying form and he didnt even get a minute!!!!! Parrott was left on too long as he was playing poorly and Obafemi as good as he was looked tired and was only taken off at 85 mins. We totally cashed in a lot of chips in luck tonight. Felt like a defeat to me.

Parrott shouldn't have started, you don't reward players for missing chances!
But surely Ogbene must have had a knock!
Idah Dream!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:37pm

Neither of them are even close to ready so we’re absolutely f*cked if Cullen + Molumby get injured or suspended
Smallbone certainly is. Coventry is miles off. Azaz is an interesting one.Molumby reverted to type tonight! Only useful for a scrap!
I don’t see much in Smallbone tbh. He has flashes where it looks like there’s a player in there but he seems to drift out of games far too much, can’t get away with it as a midfielder. Azaz on the other hand.. now there’s a potential dark horse for the Euros campaign. It’d probably require seismic club form but I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Just the most bizarrely Irish performance ever. 

Having to take Molumby off was a big factor and the lack of bite without him in midfield was alarming. Thank god he's kicked on a bit in that we have an alternative of sorts to Cullen. 
Collins played well but him bombing forward without the protection of Molumby or a Cullen in midfield mightn't have been the smartest thing in hindsight. Hendrick/Hourihane ain't that type of player. He was too far forward to help deal with the first goal. 

The pass from Hourihane only he could explain that. Bazunu could be doing better for the 2nd goal

Obafemi and Collins played well and even when it all went wrong in the 2nd half Obafemi kept grinding making things happen. 
Parrott and Knight were dissapointing. Knight has stalled and should simply be after moving on from Derby long ago. Hendrick very sloppy on the ball too as was Brady at times. 

Doherty put in a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance no complaints as did Egan. 

The lack or substitutes until Armenia got those two goals was alarming too. 71st minute and no subs in a game drifting. Ogbene should have been put on for the last half an hour at least.

Seriously? He was hooked cos he survived another stupid challenge while on a yellow, it's his modus operandi. He was also pretty poor actually playing football during the game. He's a useful squad player for a certain type of game, not vs a low block and his propensity for a card will always make him high risk. We have a paucity of options in midfield and for that reason, we need him, but he's not particularly good or clever!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Really missing a bit of steel. 

Whatever about the first goal (which was a lack of concentration in defence, another problem), but the 2nd goal was absolutely criminal from Hourihane and my instinct was that Bazunu should've done better as well, though haven't seen a replay from an angle to really make my mind up on that. 

Got the win which overall was deserved but how fragile a 2 goal lead was against Armenia at home is a huge worry. When you consider the strength of our team is defence in terms of talent, it's a further worry that lapses in concentration are getting us into so much trouble. 

On the positives Obafemi proved that he's our top striker and should be first choice unquestionably. Also great to see Brady complete the 90. 

I can't get over how god awful that pass was from Hourihane though. Wouldn't get away with it in League 2 ffs. 

Everyone's poster boy collins was up the pitch trying to get himself a goal rather than doing his job, the whole team thought they had the game won, amateur hour from pretty much the lot of them, but jesus, Hourihane, just why?
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Coventry can run, pass & tackle.
Smallbone can run, pass & score a few goals.

By default they are better options than Hourihane.
I don't recall Smallbone ever scoring a goal?

Score 3 for the U21s in 2 games less than 6 months ago
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:52pm

Smallbone certainly is. Coventry is miles off. Azaz is an interesting one.Molumby reverted to type tonight! Only useful for a scrap!
I don’t see much in Smallbone tbh. He has flashes where it looks like there’s a player in there but he seems to drift out of games far too much, can’t get away with it as a midfielder. Azaz on the other hand.. now there’s a potential dark horse for the Euros campaign. It’d probably require seismic club form but I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.

Crawford shouldn't have Smallbone running around like Jason Molumby, that's not his game, he finds half spaces, plays clever balls and has a great strike on him. He is by far the closest thing we have to a ten. Azaz did indeed look promising tonight, would like to see more of him. Will has to be in the next squad tho, if ye all insist we have to play 532 even vs average teams then he's best placed to be that 3rd midfielder. Knight was horrendous tonight!
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:54pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Just the most bizarrely Irish performance ever. 

Having to take Molumby off was a big factor and the lack of bite without him in midfield was alarming. Thank god he's kicked on a bit in that we have an alternative of sorts to Cullen. 
Collins played well but him bombing forward without the protection of Molumby or a Cullen in midfield mightn't have been the smartest thing in hindsight. Hendrick/Hourihane ain't that type of player. He was too far forward to help deal with the first goal. 

The pass from Hourihane only he could explain that. Bazunu could be doing better for the 2nd goal

Obafemi and Collins played well and even when it all went wrong in the 2nd half Obafemi kept grinding making things happen. 
Parrott and Knight were dissapointing. Knight has stalled and should simply be after moving on from Derby long ago. Hendrick very sloppy on the ball too as was Brady at times. 

Doherty put in a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance no complaints as did Egan. 

The lack or substitutes until Armenia got those two goals was alarming too. 71st minute and no subs in a game drifting. Ogbene should have been put on for the last half an hour at least.

Seriously? He was hooked cos he survived another stupid challenge while on a yellow, it's his modus operandi. He was also pretty poor actually playing football during the game. He's a useful squad player for a certain type of game, not vs a low block and his propensity for a card will always make him high risk. We have a paucity of options in midfield and for that reason, we need him, but he's not particularly good or clever!

I don't disagree with you he is rash at times and that sort of thing will happen again with him. Needs to curb it. It is not a coincidence things went to pot gradually after he was hooked. Stand by that. Also he was didn't waste much possession but isn't ever going to break lines passing for fun.

As for the last part hence my alternative of sorts comment. He has potential for sure but that temper is going to hold him back. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:57pm

Crawford shouldn't have Smallbone running around like Jason Molumby, that's not his game, he finds half spaces, plays clever balls and has a great strike on him. He is by far the closest thing we have to a ten. Azaz did indeed look promising tonight, would like to see more of him. Will has to be in the next squad tho, if ye all insist we have to play 532 even vs average teams then he's best placed to be that 3rd midfielder. Knight was horrendous tonight!

The one time Smallbone actually got involved a bit tonight was when Azaz came on. He actually had a player to link up with. When Smallbone went off Azaz actually suffered a bit for it too.

This is for the other thread obviously but Israel deserved it tonight can't have complaints they could have felt very hard done by not qualifyin. Gutted for the lads but only one team were trying to win that game of football tonight. We weren't off a yard in extra time despite it being blatantly obvious Israel were the more jaded team.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:58pm

Sorry I meant senior football, after checking I see he has one in the Carling Cup. Long way to go to say he will get you a few goals for the senior side 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:04am
Bazunu should've done better for the 2nd and honestly I thought he should have been able to palm the first shot for the first goal wide as opposed to onto the post... but he saved it so I'll let that away. The 2nd though he's gotta stop.

I don't get the criticism of Doherty, thought he had a very good first halt but definitely quieter second. People saying he was sh*te?!?!

Back 3 we're fine. Collin very good in the first half, got ahead of himself slightly in the second.

Brady was ok? Didn't really cement anything over McClean

I've been a strong critic of Molumby but f**k me does he ever get stuck in. We instantly looked more susceptible when he went off.

Hendrick was ok.

Knight has had a poor window.

Obafemi was brilliant, I'm not sure I've seen many quicker players over 5-10 yards.

Parrott I said needed dropping after Scotland and I feel even stronger now.

shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:10am
a lot of people very upset that we won it seems

some team for last minute goals 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:12am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

a lot of people very upset that we won it seems

some team for last minute goals 
That’s exactly it! You can tell there are so many raging we got a late winner! Complete freaks.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:16am

Sorry I meant senior football, after checking I see he has one in the Carling Cup. Long way to go to say he will get you a few goals for the senior side 

He's the best option for promotion from the 21's,along with Connolly. Azaz might be another. Coventry is miles off, game as you like, but that's it. Cashin looks decent but we have plenty of CB'S. Ebosele is a maybe mainly down to pace, the rest, meh! Lyons if he can get a run at Blackpool could improve. Ferguson not ready yet!
Idah Dream!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:21am
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

more importantly why do RTE have that GAA Karen leading the coverage of the game.  She is sh*te on the Sunday game and even worse on the football.  She would killl the craic at an orgy. 

Let us have something nice to look at for the night.

A fine bird

DeadDeadDead  She would turn milk sour. 

Ah leave it out.

Shes tasty. Naturally pretty.

how about cutting out the f**king sexism LAD

Agreed I couldn’t care what she looks like as it’s irrelevant or that she is a woman as again having a mix across all sports coverage is healthy, however I think she is a poor presenter and is dour in her style and brings no level of entertainment or journalistic integrity to it either.  Stephen Kelly is abysmal also and Given is not much better either.   Darragh Maloney with Brady Sadlier and Hamman should be the setup in my view. Good
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:23am
For 70 mins we were in complete control, probably should've had at least 3 goals but we got 2. What exactly do people expect from a team of young championship players?

Out of nowhere they score 2 long range goals, 1 of which was a mistake from the keeper. 

From there we got a little desperate and ragged but managed to find a winner. I'd typically say we got lucky to win that kind of peno but considering the exact same type of peno was given against us just a couple days ago I don't give a f**k and will take it all day. 

The fact Armenia scored twice with an XG of 0.17 says everything.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:27am

For 70 mins we were in complete control, probably should've had at least 3 goals but we got 2. What exactly do people expect from a team of young championship players?

Out of nowhere they score 2 long range goals, 1 of which was a mistake from the keeper. 

From there we got a little desperate and ragged but managed to find a winner. I'd typically say we got lucky to win that kind of peno but considering the exact same type of peno was given against us just a couple days ago I don't give a f**k and will take it all day. 

The 0.17 XG I didn't think it would be that low.

It was the type of thing that would only happen to us isn't it. The U21 game the same just nothing happening for Irish football at the moment beyond the get out of jail we got tonight.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:34am

Shut up with your common sense and facts.  We were in control and by no means great but much better than we were in many games against smaller teams under Kenny and McCarthy and O Neill. Not great but descent.  Then Hourihane has a brain fart both for the first goal and the 2nd goal.  Bazunu is poor for both goals in my view and Hendrick is leggy for the first.  

I would blame Kenny for having a midfield of Hendrick and Hourihane and Knight on the pitch.  It was complacent and against a decent side it would get destroyed and against a poor side it got punished albeit by long range efforts.  We need to make sure that our midfield always has legs in it and for that reason Hourihane should never play again and Hendrick needs Molumby beside him if he ever plays. Other than Cullen we have no tactical no 6 who will hold the centre of the park and protect the centre backs. That’s esp important when collins likes to underlay
And overlap.  Hourihane our holding player put in the cross straight to the keeper and then didn’t have the legs to get back in place to stop a slow enough counter attack.   Hendrick was also turned and without much effort they were straight in on our defence.  All in all  a mixed bag tonight but Kenny needs to be selfish and cut the lads who can’t play the style he wants of high intensity high press attacking football.  It’s going to need a further cull of slow leggy players like Hourihane. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
  Share Topic