Armenia (h) nations league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenia (h) nations league
    Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Just avoid defeat , that's the main thing at the moment 

Shocked

Like you i didn't want us to get relagated Shocked
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Just avoid defeat , that's the main thing at the moment 

Shocked
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Very interesting Jason Molumby with the highest pass percentage ,only 8 shots on target across the 2 games, and obafemi very effective when he runs at teams 
Not surprising at all, every pass is short and backwards or sideways. This was like when Harry Arter had brilliant pass completion rates in the league a few years back but he was just tapping it 5 yards to Andrew Surman every time he got it LOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Very interesting Jason Molumby with the highest pass percentage ,only 8 shots on target across the 2 games, and obafemi very effective when he runs at teams 

I'm not trying to denigrate Molumby here, it's always good not to give the ball away, but I hate using that stat when assessing player performance, CBs regularly top the ranking in a game and the bare stat takes no account of the type of pass attempted. You can have a CM in there who tries to create and play through balls who ends up with a much lower passing percentage. 

Molumby didnt make a key pass across the two games, again thats not really his role, so its not a criticism, but it puts in to context his pass completion rate - his job was to win the ball and keep it which he did well. Brady had 6 key passes in his one game (impressive and I didnt think he played particularly well), but understandably had a 10% lower pass completion rate.

Obafemi's 5 of 6 dribbles completed is decent.
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:27pm
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Combined player stats from the two games

The only stat that matters is the scoreline
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:11pm
Combined player stats from the two games

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Wasn't able to see the game vs Armenia, but going on highlights and reading about it, I agree with what's being said here - CB is sorted, ans Obafemi is #1 forward for now
I'd like to see Kelleher come back into contention.

Would Omobamidele be able to move over to RW back?

The midfield is paper thin. Knight hadn't a good game against either Scotland or Armenia, one in which we were reacting, the other we were dominating. Will he come good again? His high tempo style could do with some good coaching or it'll wane as he gets older, very soon.

I'd have Omobamidele with Cullen as the the sitters.

The new Paul.

McGrath as a 10/8.

Ogbene and Obafemi up top.

Thank f**k you’re not the manager.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Wasn't able to see the game vs Armenia, but going on highlights and reading about it, I agree with what's being said here - CB is sorted, ans Obafemi is #1 forward for now

The midfield is paper thin. Knight hadn't a good game against either Scotland or Armenia, one in which we were reacting, the other we were dominating. Will he come good again? His high tempo style could do with some good coaching or it'll wane as he gets older, very soon.

I'd have Omobamidele with Cullen as the the sitters.

The new Paul.

McGrath as a 10/8.

Ogbene and Obafemi up top.

Edited by B6 6HE - 28 Sep 2022 at 5:21pm
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by turbo10 turbo10 wrote:

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but the entire starting 11 last night were Irish born. I can't remember when that last happened.
Yep noticed that.....
Was mentioned a bit on twitter. Don't think it matters too much to be honest. 
Agree it doesn't matter. Hopefully Cullen is back for the next game to change that stat.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but the entire starting 11 last night were Irish born. I can't remember when that last happened.
Yep noticed that.....
Was mentioned a bit on twitter. Don't think it matters too much to be honest. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:43pm
Wales 2020 apparently.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:42pm

Yep noticed that.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:38pm
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:58pm
I back Kenny, but if he ever plays Hendrick again I will start to move to the Damien Delaney camp!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:33pm

"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I thought Molumby has had a good window, he looks to have improved a fair bit, he’s still a bit rash but going in the right direction. 
Sadly Knight is the reverse. Doesn’t seem anywhere near the level he was at a few months back, playing at wingback presumably the issue. 
Very surprised Ogbene didn’t get a run. He’s had a very good season so far so seems a mistake from SK 
Cullen is such an important player for us, we’re half the team without him. 

Yes I agree Molumby's stock has risen in the past 4 matches. I thought he did well on the number 6 position in the first half. He did needed to be taken off tho as his head was gone and was a very frustrated.
Yes Knight works very hard, covers a lot of ground but he didn't do much in possession this window. Playing out of position and in League One probably does help.
 But I still don't think either Molumby or Knight have anything to fear losing their starting place with the other midfield options in the squad. Hourihane, Browne and Hendrick, all had a very poor window. The sooner they are replaced in the squad the better. That is defo Hourihane's last International football match.
The midfield depth is a big problem, the options are limited and the next generation (Smallbone, Coventry, Kilkenny, etc) are a year or two behind were they need to be an option in the starting line-up for the Euro campaign. Might need to look for some granny rulers to increase our options in midfield for the short term.
Another player who I thought was really good this window was O'Shea. I thought he was very composed throughout both matches, won all his headers and tackles, his general play and passing out from the back was very good. 

Is there anyone else to consider in midfield? It would be great if Mark Sykes got into midfield instead of wing back, for selfish reasons. Smallbone, Coventry, Kilkenny, Devoy, Connell are in with the 21s and hopefully Smallbone can progress. Coventry needs a loan. Kilkenny needs games. Devoy and Connell need to walk before they can run at League One level. Joe Hodge could progress rapidly but is a medium term option, not short term. Jack Taylor and Jake Doyle Hayes aren't presently close but could get close in a while. 

I'd have Browne and Hendrick behind Cullen, Knight and Molumby at present. I don't understand how Hourihane came on ahead of Browne. Different players but one is capable and the other ain't.  

We need a few midfielders to come through. We have depth at the back and front which we don't have in the middle or at right wing back. 

I think LWB is also a looming problem, Mc Clean 33 now and I'm not convinced Brady will ever be good enough defensively. There's Manning who doesnt seem to be fancied, Scales who is playing as a CB and Bagan who has lost his ft spot at Cardiff. GK/CB/ST look ok in terms of depth, but we do need a couple of the young strikers to start actually putting the ball in the net on a regular basis at club level.

As for other midfielders, Harness or Szmodics as a 10, Mc Grath to bounce back, Ronan to get a game at Wolves, Mandroiu to get in to the team at Lincoln. Slim pickings, if any of them have it in them to kick on, now would be the time. Realistically I think Smallbone is closest, think he could do a good job as the most advanced CM in our 5-3-2.

Yes cover in RWB is a concern too, we need better cover there than Coleman or Browne in the short term. I think Sykes will get called up for that in the next window. McNamara has lost his place recently.
I think LWB is more medium term as Manning is an option even if he is down the pecking order right now.
I think we are stuck with Browne and Hendrick in the squad for the foreseeable future unfortunately.
None of the options both of you mentioned in midfield would fill you with confidence to force their way into starting 11 over the Euro campaign. They are all either injured, just not playing enough and the ones that are playing it is in League One level or they hardly setting the world a light in the Championship and SPL.
But saying that other midfield options need to be looked at in the next window, a replacement for Hourihane's token call up to the squad is defo on the cards, he just can't be justified anymore after that last match, he has to be ClarkedLOL.
I hope some of our midfield options can start putting there hand up over the next few weeks.

Edited by darman28 - 28 Sep 2022 at 1:49pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Could any our glut of centre backs be cover for Cullen and tried in Malta I wonder.  

Duffy no
Egan no 
Coleman no 
O Shea possibly 
Collins unlikely 
Omobamidele  I think looks like he could be tried there
Too much to ask a young lad who never played their at league level. Coventry and Smallbone should step up from the u21s - how competent they’d be we can only find out by playing them, but they are only backups in dire situation for 2023 games.

Coventry, yes only in an emergency, but Smallbone can step in to the first XI very soon, he's at least as good as Knight in that 10 role already imo and it then allows you to potentially use Knight as the 8. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised to see those 2 with Cullen as the 6 emerge as the first choice midfield by the time next season starts.

I agree re Omobamidele - I just dont think its as easy to switch up position as people think at elite level
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic