You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 32>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I would put Hendrick ahead of Molumby, and I think Kenny would do too.

Molumby's tenacity was important vs Scotland last time. His pressing was key. It lead to the Obafemi screamer.

Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:42pm
Very well could seeing as back in June fresh legs were needed come the Scotland game and Hendrick looked wrecked. Everyone is coming into this game against Scotland fresh and might throw Hendrick back in alongside Cullen and Knight.

Though he could look at the performances of Cullen, Molumby, and Knight against Scotland and Ukraine as the trio and give them the chance to impress again. Hendrick like Browne could be a good sub to come on in this game if you're looking to retain possession against a tired team.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't know why so many people pick teams with only two central midfielders when we get consistently ripped to shreds in midfield whenever we go with just two central midfielders.

Cullen, Molumby and 3 CBs should be able to provide enough cover. Omobamidle adds good recovery pace.

Parrott is actually hard working for a technical player, so he can easily drop back if required. Knight can do that too.

It has been proven that this is not the way to go.
Any time we have played with three forwards, we have made a show of ourselves.
And a return to that, while appealing to people who have short memories and like lotsa forwards on the pitch, would be a tactical misstep for Kenny, and that's being generous.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Very well could seeing as back in June fresh legs were needed come the Scotland game and Hendrick looked wrecked. Everyone is coming into this game against Scotland fresh and might throw Hendrick back in alongside Cullen and Knight.

Though he could look at the performances of Cullen, Molumby, and Knight against Scotland and Ukraine as the trio and give them the chance to impress again. Hendrick like Browne could be a good sub to come on in this game if you're looking to retain possession against a tired team.

I'd guess retaining the same midfield vs Scotland again is the most likely scenario and I'd fully expect Hendrick to then start vs Armenia.
Idah Dream!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Obafemi-----Ogbene

Parrott

Brady------Cullen------Molumby----Doherty

Egan-----Collins---Omobamidele

Bazunu

I assume McClean and Duffy will probably start though. Maybe Knight as well.
Parrott is not a #10, been tried there before and he looked lost. Either himself or Obafemi for Knight and I agree with your selection.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 4:26pm
Just to pick up on these points from a couple of days ago:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure how Brady has proved himself, if O'Dowda hasnt -

Brady has started 9 games, completed 6 full 90's, and not got injured.
O'Dowda only completed 2 full 90's and got injured on his 6th start, missing the following 2 games. That's not a good sign.

I'm not privy to the details re Crawford's alleged spat with Festy - so I wont comment further on that other than to say it's disappointing, but Festy should 100% be with the U21s - he doesnt deserve a spot in the senior squad on merit, off the back of a few starts in the Championship for Derby last campaign. The U21 games are potentially momentous and qualification would be a great boost for all of our young players - if lads are not likely to play the senior games then they should be considered for the U21 panel in my opinion - that includes Ebosele, Connolly and perhaps even Omabamidele. Spats should be resolved.

Festy played 37 games for Derby last season - 20 of them were starts. (& now 1 Serie A appearance)

For comparison:
Omobamidele got called up off the back of 8 starts in the Champ.
Idah to this day has only started 12 games for Norwich (& you were arguing he should start for Ireland).
Kelleher still only has 15 or so starts.
Parrott had barely played any senior football & was called up by both by McCarthy & Kenny (& has been a constant in Kenny's squads).
Bazunu had 28 starts for a Rochdale side that got relegated from League 1.
O'Shea had 16 Champ starts & 4 PL starts (& 26 League 2 starts) before his Ireland debut.
Knight had about 25-30 starts for Derby
Molumby had 35 starts for Millwall.

Senior injuries/Covid were a large factor in most of those lads getting called up too. Festy has done more than most of them, & about the same amount as O'Shea, Molumby & Knight. And he is considered a "High Potential Player" by the Ireland setup.
If we're talking "merit", he certainly has that (particularly considering the unknown status of Doherty & Coleman's fitness).

SunlunBhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunlunBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:27pm
Come on Ireland you can beat Scotland on Saturday. Any Irish people in Sundetland come to the Railway Tavern they'll  be showing it. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So happy to see Robbie back Star

Wing back?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Phil Babb View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Babb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:01am
I can see this finishing 2-0 Ireland with Obafemi at the double.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:00am
Omobamidele out of both games.

Scales called up

Edited by wanderer - 19 Sep 2022 at 11:00am
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:05am
I'd rather Lenihan or Dunne than Scales. Better more experienced defenders.

Omobamidele is a miss I was hoping to see him in a 3 with Collins and Egan.

Edited by SC92 - 19 Sep 2022 at 11:05am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I'd rather Lenihan or Dunne than Scales. Better more experienced defenders.

Omobamidele is a miss I was hoping to see him in a 3 with Collins and Egan.

Lenihan is injured - Luckily it is an area of the pitch where we have reasonable options. Presumably it's Collins, Egan and either Duffy or O'Shea. Surprised it wasnt Manning called up I know he's not exactly a CB, but he can play there. He must really not have impressed in previous camps. Pleased for Sclaes though, Aberdeen fans seem impressed albeit before his red at the weekend, but he struggled a bit at Celtic, so nice for him personally to get the call.
Idah Dream!
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
Scales in ahead of Lenihan is a big surprise
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Afaik Lenihan is injured
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

He's injured has missed a few games now
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:33am
It's a played for Kenny in the u21s pick to me. Being rubbish at Celtic and a few good games for another Scottish team isn't an obvious call up standard for me. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Scales called up

NI would be foolish not to give Jimmy Dunne a call again. If Scales is getting called up ahead of him with Lenihan and Omobambidele already out it's clear he's never going to get a chance under Kenny. Questionable management decision just from that perspective alone IMO.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Scales called up

NI would be foolish not to give Jimmy Dunne a call again. If Scales is getting called up ahead of him with Lenihan and Omobambidele already out it's clear he's never going to get a chance under Kenny. Questionable management decision just from that perspective alone IMO.

Ah come in, I dont think it's that egregious a decision. It's not like Kenny hasnt had a look at Dunne (and Manning), he has been over in previous squads. Scales is having a very good season at Aberdeen by all accounts and clearly Kenny rates him. Dunne is 5 odd years younger than the likes of Duffy, Lenihan and Egan, so he just needs to keep the head down and keep improving, his chance will come yet, ditto Manning, who has a 33yo Mc Clean and an injury probe Brady ahead of him. I have no dog in this fight, maybe Scales ability to also play as a LWB also had a role to play in the decision. I'd imagine as a border county man myself that there's also a fair chance that  a young lad growing up in Dundalk like, Dunne doesnt really want to play for the North.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 32>
  Share Topic