You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Decent, settled squad. Can't have too many complaints really - would have been good to see another body in midfield maybe, someone like Sykes to add depth. I wonder did Hogan squeeze in there ahead of Keane after last night or was he always going to be in with Keane missing out?

Aye, it's hard to point to anybody that could feel genuinely aggrieved at omission, Manning perhaps, but the management team have always seemed pretty ambivalent about him.

As for Keane/Hogan - I doubt if last night's hat trick made a difference. Hogan was preferred previously vs Scotland and did well in that game, so I'm guessing he was always ahead of Keane in the pecking order for this one.

Would agree re the midfield depth, but I think one or two of Kilkenny/Coventry and definitely Smallbone would have been called up, but for the big U21 game. I'd imagine Smallbone will take Hourihanes spot for the next campaign.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:18pm
Hard to have any major gripes with that squad. 

Only one is the lack of creative midfielder. I will make a prediction bar a spate of injuries this is the last squad Conor Hourihane will ever make. Smallbone the obvious front runner to take that place as soon as the next squad but Ronan Coventry Kilkenny even the likes of Connell Moran at Brighton is making strides so many candidates there to take his place at this stage! 

Cyrus Christie is hopefully done in an Irish shirt long term too. No disrespect to him a trier but is a liability the Ukraine game was a 2/10 performance!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Going into a game vs Armenia with no creative CMs...

Only 24 named, I wonder who's close to being added.

If Byrne puts in a performance this evening vs Gent he might be added.

He'd need some stellar performance to put himself even close to the frame imo. Changed the game in Djurgaarden's favour when he came on last week.

Still dont think he's up to it personally, but even if Kenny does, he'd be coming in on the back of a pretty disjointed season - I just cant see it. I'd prefer Ferrizaj tbh Smile
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Stillill Stillill wrote:

Lads anyone been to Hampden before? I know you can get a train out from Glasgow but a Scottish mate has just told me they close the station after the match as it's too small to accommodate the crowds. That can't be right, can it? I'm in the Scottish end with the young lad, I'd rather not be stuck without an exit plan.

There's loads of train stations around there. If you're in the east end of the stadium head to Kings Park Station. If you're in the north stand you could go to Crosshill (though you're heading into a slightly rougher area in doing so). If you're in the south or west head to Cathcart. Mount Florida is best avoided whether it's open or not due to crowds. The area is generally very safe apart from possibly up to the north towards Crosshill, but even there it should be fine if you're only going as far as the station.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Sep 2022 at 4:31pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Hard to have any major gripes with that squad. 

Only one is the lack of creative midfielder. I will make a prediction bar a spate of injuries this is the last squad Conor Hourihane will ever make. Smallbone the obvious front runner to take that place as soon as the next squad but Ronan Coventry Kilkenny even the likes of Connell Moran at Brighton is making strides so many candidates there to take his place at this stage! 

Cyrus Christie is hopefully done in an Irish shirt long term too. No disrespect to him a trier but is a liability the Ukraine game was a 2/10 performance!

Bar Smallbone, there's a lot of ifs regarding the other lads you have named there - Coventry the most likely to make it imo, but he will need to at get Conference minutes at least with West Ham. Lage has had nice things to say about Ronan, but until we see him on a pitch, it looks like he is in a bit of a limbo. Kilkenny needs to get fit, not sure what the issue is there? and then get in to the Stoke first XI on a regular basis. Connell's playing League One but will hopefully continue to progress after a couple of wasted years at Celtic. Moran's still a youngster, albeit an exciting one, but I'd imagine barring a breakthrough at Brighton, he'll be with the U21s for the next campaign. Realistically I'd be happy if Smallbone and one of Coventry/Kilkenny/Ronan reached the required standard during the next campaign.

I'm no big fan of Christies, but our RB options when Coleman goes arent exactly inspiring. If he's fit and playing regularly he could earn a few more caps yet, particularly if Doherty has fitness issues. He's still young enough (3 years younger than Hourihane who I agree should be jettisoned)
Idah Dream!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

He'd need some stellar performance to put himself even close to the frame imo. Changed the game in Djurgaarden's favour when he came on last week.

Still dont think he's up to it personally, but even if Kenny does, he'd be coming in on the back of a pretty disjointed season - I just cant see it. I'd prefer Ferrizaj tbh Smile

I'm sure he could handle coming on for the last 30 minutes against the might of Armenia.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'm sure he could handle coming on for the last 30 minutes against the might of Armenia.

Well if we need 30 minutes of Jack Byrne to overcome the might of Armenia then we really do have problems.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Well if we need 30 minutes of Jack Byrne to overcome the might of Armenia then we really do have problems.

I see you've successfully blocked out the memory of the game in June. I tried to too, but so far haven't been able.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:24pm
                       Bazunu
          Omobamidele Collins Egan
Doherty                                   McClean
                   Cullen Molomby
                        Parrott
                  Ogbene Obafemi

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:28pm
Can't see him playing three forwards away to Scotland. At home to Armenia yeah, but not away to Scotland.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Can't see him playing three forwards away to Scotland. At home to Armenia yeah, but not away to Scotland.

Agree, dont think he will (or should) play 3 forwards away to Scotland. It hasnt really worked for us even against  lesser opposition, but I wouldnt be adverse to giving it another try vs Armenia.

It is likely to be the same 3 that did so well vs Scotland last time, although Hendrick has a chance of starting in the 3 also, now that he is back playing regularly. Cullen, Molumby, Knight looks the safe call with Hendrick pencilled to start in Molumby's place vs Armenia.
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 6:50pm
Would have us line out the same as the home win but with Omobamidele in for Duffy and Doherty in for Browne.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:28am
Obafemi-----Ogbene

Parrott

Brady------Cullen------Molumby----Doherty

Egan-----Collins---Omobamidele

Bazunu

I assume McClean and Duffy will probably start though. Maybe Knight as well.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:41am
I don't know why so many people pick teams with only two central midfielders when we get consistently ripped to shreds in midfield whenever we go with just two central midfielders.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:47am

I don't know why so many people pick teams with only two central midfielders when we get consistently ripped to shreds in midfield whenever we go with just two central midfielders.

Cullen, Molumby and 3 CBs should be able to provide enough cover. Omobamidle adds good recovery pace.

Parrott is actually hard working for a technical player, so he can easily drop back if required. Knight can do that too.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:25pm

I agree, he'll play 3 in midfield vs the Scots likely Cullen, Molumby and Knight. Hendrick an outside bet for one of the three spots.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:28pm
I would put Hendrick ahead of Molumby, and I think Kenny would do too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I would put Hendrick ahead of Molumby, and I think Kenny would do too.

I would also, but I think he'll stick with the 3 that did so well in the reverse fixture and it would be hard to argue with that.

Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 32>
  Share Topic