You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I didn't think we were bad 2nd half at all, what did Scotland do? Bazunu had one save to make that was straight at him and that was it. Shocking defending for the first goal and madness giving away a pen for the 2nd. We played well after the equaliser and threatened, Parrott should have put us 2-1 up and that was the turning point. Ogbene showed flashes and overall I was really pleased with the midfield, Molumby going off was a loss in the middle

I thought that was a good performance overall and the inexperience and just a little lack of quality/composure up top showed in the end 

Well said.  

Agreed, hate the whining! 
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

His substitute choices lead me to doubt his ability to qualify for anything. 

4 points from 5 games is piss poor.

All of that is bang-on tbh.

I'm torn.

I see genuine improvements. I love the zip in or play. The energy. The movement. 

But its a results business.

6 wins from 27 games is very bad. Even allowing for everything. 

And generally handy ish games too.

He has potentially done as much good as he can do in that he has built a side.

I think we need a more pragmatic tactically astute manager.

No secret, I've long wanted Hughton. 

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:39pm
Jesus Christ what kind of sicko would want Hughton in charge? Turgid football where we might scrape draws with better teams and get one nils the odd time and maybe qualify for a Euros and get destroyed by the first decent team. 
What's the point in that? I honestly would rather try and play ball like we are doing now and just see what happens, sooner or later we'll be a decent team. 
I am enjoying Kenny's reign more than anything since probably 2002. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

His substitute choices lead me to doubt his ability to qualify for anything. 

4 points from 5 games is piss poor.

All of that is bang-on tbh.

I'm torn.

I see genuine improvements. I love the zip in or play. The energy. The movement. 

But its a results business.

6 wins from 27 games is very bad. Even allowing for everything. 

And generally handy ish games too.

He has potentially done as much good as he can do in that he has built a side.

I think we need a more pragmatic tactically astute manager.

No secret, I've long wanted Hughton

He hasn’t managed in over 12 months 😂
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

We played reasonably well for decent periods but to be a bit harsh and critical, we should not be losing to a Scottish team that looked out of sorts and below par.

Ah come on, thats a sh*t take tbh, a scots team that just spanked Ukraine with 2 PL midfielders and the Scots poty vs our 2 Ch'ship lads and a L1 fella. They were blessed. Parrott not squaring the ball to Knight, the Doherty chance, he f**king Parrott miss! I'd love to see the xg for the game!
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:42pm
Fine margins, Parrott finishes and we possibly go on & win.  But 2 defensive mistakes leads to the loss. Disappointing but enough in it to still be encouraged. 
Also was a great game to watch. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Still feel we are a couple of players short though.  Doesn't look like we will really have anyone else stepping into the team between now and the next campaign so this is kind of it . 
Obafemi maybe could get a bit better I hope

Smallbone, Idah, Connolly, maybe Festy
Idah Dream!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Jesus Christ what kind of sicko would want Hughton in charge? Turgid football where we might scrape draws with better teams and get one nils the odd time and maybe qualify for a Euros and get destroyed by the first decent team. 
What's the point in that? I honestly would rather try and play ball like we are doing now and just see what happens, sooner or later we'll be a decent team. 

Eventually,  we'll need results.  And that means finishing above decent sides in a 10 game group. That kind of result eventually requires some form of pragmatism. 

I'm enjoying segments of our play.

I'm not enjoying the results.

4 points from 5 games. Hes very lucky to have a side as weak as Armenia. We could be staring at relegation otherwise.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

We played reasonably well for decent periods but to be a bit harsh and critical, we should not be losing to a Scottish team that looked out of sorts and below par.

Ah come on, thats a sh*t take tbh, a scots team that just spanked Ukraine with 2 PL midfielders and the Scots poty vs our 2 Ch'ship lads and a L1 fella. They were blessed. Parrott not squaring the ball to Knight, the Doherty chance, he f**king Parrott miss! I'd love to see the xg for the game!

Exactly, on paper the Tartan gits should have been winning that every time given the level their players are at compared to ours. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:45pm

Eventually,  we'll need results.  And that means finishing above decent sides in a 10 game group. That kind of result eventually requires some form of pragmatism. 

4 points from 5 games. Hes very lucky to have a side as weak as Armenia. We could be staring at relegation otherwise.

Right well whatever happens Hughton is not the answer, lovely man that he is. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:46pm
Just seen Parrott's chance again. Got me thinking of his under 21's goal against Sweden when he lobbed the keeper.  I thought we had this reliable goalscorer on our hands. Makes it look effortless, etc. Tonight's chance was bread and butter stuff to a clinical striker. My heart sank twice. For the Irish chance missed, and acceptance that Troy is not the 2nd coming. Fook you Robbie Keane.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:46pm
We're 3 players short of being a real handful of a team, the 3 CB's work we've got bags a of talent there the 3 in midfield is young and hugely promising

we're lacking 2 out and out solid wing backs and a genuine attacking goal scorer
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

None of this 'Premier League' midfielder nonsense means anything.

Next season it's likely that at least one if not two out of Cullen, Molumby and Knight will be 'PL' players, it won't improve them over night.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:48pm

Not really the time or place but Michael O'Neil is available. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Not really the time or place but Michael O'Neil is available. 

Good shout.

After Armenia,  he'll have had 28 games.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:51pm

I don't think Hughton's heart would be in it. He's never seemed enthusiastic when the subject has been broached. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'm struggling to blame Kenny for that TBH. Total brain farts for the two Scotland goals, predictably woeful miss from Parrott and slim margins preventing us from scoring on a couple other occasions. Thought Molumby's shot was going in only for the block and Doherty did everything right in the build-up but bottled the shot on his attempt when it looked easier to score. Goals aside, did Scotland even have any other chances apart from the one Doherty cleared?  Good game and we held up our end of the bargain on that. Only blot is, perhaps, taking Obafemi off when he's much sharper in front of goal than Parrott.

Scotland didn't even play that well and looked well below their performance of beating Ukraine on Wednesday. Lots of good stuff tonight, but we did concede two sloppy goals, which kinda takes the gloss off things.

Tonight is Scotland's level, their game against Ukraine was the outlier.

Fully expect them to lose away in Poland.

They won their last 6 games in their qualifying group including a 2-0 win against Denmark. They have 4 four out of 5 in this group.

The Ukraine game wasn't really an outlier was it? Losing to us was more of one. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ogbene should start for Parrott against Armenia i think. Parrott needs to work on his finishing somehow.

Ogbene and obafemi would be making the same runs and into
The same spaces.  Stupid clueless idea.  

Says you. I must tell Kenny that by no means can these two be paired up. Not ever.

I will be shocked if ever starts the two of them up top as a front two.  

They are far too similar to play together.  A bit like why Jack nearly never started Cascarino and Quinn together.  Front twos need to be a partnership and need to compliment each other not get in each others way.  

I think its definitely an option to play both Obafemi and Ogbene as the two. Against certain opposition as well it could work (I.e. the likes of Spain and france who will dominate us for possession). 

But Parrott is a key clog in how we are playing against teams where we will have a good bit of possession. You take him out and you could be looking at very predictable attacks, just defend deep.  

Disagree, he f**k ed up our 2 best chances tonight, he might get the, but he sure as he'll ain't there yet. His touches were hit and miss also, 50 good 50 bad, he's far from the finished article and he is by no means indispensable, we have plenty of other options coming through. 
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 32>
  Share Topic