Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 11:47am
From last night's game Preston v Burnley Brady and Parrot didn't do much at all , now when Browne came on he had a little bit about him but nothing to get excited about . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:33pm
To take a stab at what the squad might be:

Bazunu, Travers, O'Leary.

Doherty, Coleman, Collins, Duffy, Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele, McClean, Brady.

Cullen, Hendrick, Molumby, Knight, Browne.

Ogbene, O'Dowda, Obafemi, Parrott, Robinson, Keane.

That's 23 I think will be called up and think 25 will be named but not sure what two extra players he'd feel would be needed as cover.

Someone like Manning or Scales to cover LWB so you can also opt to play Brady in a more attacking role.

Only five midfielders named so could be Hourihane but we named six in June for three games. Five should be enough with someone on stand by. He'd probably see Brady as someone that could fill in as the third midfielder against Armenia if needed though could see 3-4-2-1 making a return against them.

Sykes maybe for a dark horse call up to add extra cover at RWB with Doherty and Coleman not seeing minutes. Also able to fill other positions if needed.

Edited by J89 - 14 Sep 2022 at 7:34pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

That's 23 I think will be called up and think 25 will be named but not sure what two extra players he'd feel would be needed as cover.

Someone like Manning or Scales to cover LWB so you can also opt to play Brady in a more attacking role.

Only five midfielders named so could be Hourihane but we named six in June for three games. Five should be enough with someone on stand by. He'd probably see Brady as someone that could fill in as the third midfielder against Armenia if needed though could see 3-4-2-1 making a return against them.

Sykes maybe for a dark horse call up to add extra cover at RWB with Doherty and Coleman not seeing minutes. Also able to fill other positions if needed.

I don't see any point in calling up O'Dowda. He isn't fully fit, just back from injury (missed 2.5 games), & has only played the full 90 twice this season.
Also missed about 4 months of last season, started only 16 games.
We have 3 others more regularly playing LWB in Brady, Manning & McClean.
O'Dowda needs to go and get a long run of starts under his belt to prove he can stay fit before getting back in.

Sykes is a good shout, but as a CM, not a RWB.
I know he's playing RWB for Bristol but we don't need him there, we need to bulk out the midfield selection ahead of the Euro Qualifiers. The main thing is he's playing regularly & proving himself at Championship level. Kenny won't care if he's playing RWB (see Ogbene) at club level.

Manning deserves to keep his spot in the squad. Scales is miles off. Ebosele & Smallbone should be in.
Could well see one of Byrne, McGrath, Ronan too.
Need backup for Cullen still, but unlikely Coventry will be called up with the U21s Play-Off.

Edited by Greenie50 - 14 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:23pm
Andy Lyons would have been a good shout only for under 21s match. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I don't see any point in calling up O'Dowda. He isn't fully fit,
just back from injury (missed 2.5 games), & has only played the full
90 twice this season.
Also missed about 4 months of last season, started only 16 games.
We have 3 others more regularly playing LWB in Brady, Manning & McClean.
O'Dowda needs to go and get a long run of starts under his belt to prove he can stay fit before getting back in.

Sykes is a good shout, but as a CM, not a RWB.
I know he's playing RWB for Bristol but we don't need him there, we need to bulk out the midfield selection ahead of the Euro Qualifiers. The main thing is he's playing regularly & proving himself at Championship level. Kenny won't care if he's playing RWB (see Ogbene) at club level.

Manning deserves to keep his spot in the squad. Scales is miles off. Ebosele & Smallbone should be in.
Could well see one of Byrne, McGrath, Ronan too.
Need backup for Cullen still, but unlikely Coventry will be called up with the U21s Play-Off.

O'Dowda has mostly been playing as a winger and only moved back to LB to cover injuries. Has two goals and two assists.

So O'Dowda needs to go and prove himself with consistent games but we could well see the 24 yr old Ronan whose playing U21s for Wolves, or Ebosele who can't get a game   

Edited by J89 - 14 Sep 2022 at 9:43pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:56pm

Should have waited till after tonight's games to pick this. Was humming and hawing over Keane and Hogan to be one of the 23 and Kenny prefers Keane. Make him number 24 on that list and the final spot possibly between Manning, Sykes, or Hourihane.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:11pm

O'Dowda has mostly been playing as a winger and only moved back to LB to cover injuries. Has two goals and two assists.

So O'Dowda needs to go and prove himself with consistent games but we could well see the 24 yr old Ronan whose playing U21s for Wolves, or Ebosele who can't get a game   

I clearly said O'Dowda needs to prove he can stay fit. Like Obafemi has been doing this year, like Brady & Smallbone are doing now, like Idah needs to do before getting back in the squad.

We play 352 now, O'Dowda only fits in as a LWB. Even switching to 3421 (which should only be a secondary option) there's plenty better options ahead of him for the front 3.
He's got 23 caps for us & never done much in any of them.

We're totally lacking in creative CMs, & if Smallbone is being left with the U21s this window then Byrne, McGrath & Ronan get in the conversation by default, regardless of gametime.

Ebosele is a top young prospect (with a much higher ceiling than O'Dowda). Worth a development spot for that alone (& Crawford won't play him anyway).
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:55am
O'Dowda has probably been Cardiffs best player this season. Has only missed 2 games.
Not to mention the fact he's playing LWB. A position that is certainly up for grabs for Ireland.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

O'Dowda has probably been Cardiffs best player this season. Has only missed 2 games.
Not to mention the fact he's playing LWB. A position that is certainly up for grabs for Ireland.

Yeah, I'm not sure how Brady has proved himself, if O'Dowda hasnt - O'Dowda also has the goal involvements to back it up, whereas Brady's Preston side are struggling for goals and I would assume Robbie has been taking their set pieces? 

I'm not sure I'd name O'Dowda in the squad right now, I certainly wouldnt have him starting either game as a LWB, but he's as entitled to consideration as Brady and he's a fair bit younger in terms of the next campaign. If he's naming a 28 man squad, he will likely make the cut. If he goes with 25 he may miss out this time. I do think he can play as the most advanced of the 3 midfielders in a 5-3-2 set up, probably not against stronger opposition like Scotland, but certainly against the likes of Armenia.

Smallbone should stay with the U21s, I'm a long time advocate of his and would like to have seen him included in senior squads previously, but now is not the right time.

I'm not privy to the details re Crawford's alleged spat with Festy - so I wont comment further on that other than to say it's disappointing, but Festy should 100% be with the U21s - he doesnt deserve a spot in the senior squad on merit, off the back of a few starts in the Championship for Derby last campaign. The U21 games are potentially momentous and qualification would be a great boost for all of our young players - if lads are not likely to play the senior games then they should be considered for the U21 panel in my opinion - that includes Ebosele, Connolly and perhaps even Omabamidele. Spats should be resolved.

I also saw some criticism of Scales a few posts up, my understanding is that he's doing very well for Aberdeen and putting in MotM performances as a left sided centre back. If that spot in the squad is to provide cover for both LWB and LCB, then I dont see why he shouldn't be in the reckoning. Previous selections would indicate that the management team arent entirely convinced by Manning.
Idah Dream!
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:31am
Squad announcement presser 1pm

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:35am
If people are seriously suggesting call ups for the likes of Ronan/Byrne then the likes of Harness, Szmodics and Curtis should most certainly be in the reckoning.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Andy Lyons would have been a good shout only for under 21s match. 

Time enough for Lyons, but he is playing very well and looking a cut above LoI level. Looking forward to seeing him in the Championship post Christmas.

I'm not advocating for him here at all, but what is Christie's club situation like, has he been playing regularly? I agree with others that naming a third RWB option would be prudent given Doherty/Colemans' minutes and recent injury issues. Sykes has obviously been mentioned, but Christie is the current incumbent and nobody has mentioned him. Fwiw I have no idea of what kind of shape he is in currently and I'm not a big fan, just wondering why he hasnt been mentioned as an option?
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:25am
Seemed to me like Kenny kind of gave up on Christie half way through the last round of games. When he started picking Alan Browne out of position ahead if him it wasn't a good sign.

He's in and out of the Hull team I think. Might squeeze into the squad but I'd doubt we'll see much more of him at this point.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:36am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Seemed to me like Kenny kind of gave up on Christie half way through the last round of games. When he started picking Alan Browne out of position ahead if him it wasn't a good sign.

He's in and out of the Hull team I think. Might squeeze into the squad but I'd doubt we'll see much more of him at this point.

Aye, fair enough, his time is likely up. However with Coleman seemingly on his last legs, there's no entirely obvious candidate to back Doherty up. Sykes/Mc Namara/Christie. Browne oop isnt really a l/t solution, likewise Knight, who is at least currently playing there :), while Ogbene will surely continue to be utilised further up the pitch.

Lyons must have a good chance for the next campaign if he can hit the ground running at Blackpool. Ebosele also if he can force his way in to the Udinese team or at least get regular minutes from the bench, not convinced he is a wing back though, much like Ogbene.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
Christie's issue is he's someone that wants to stick out wide and occupy those spaces whereas Doherty will come in off his wing to offer support. Feel that's why Browne was thrown in there ahead of him mid way through the last games.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:01am
Just looking at recent squad lists, who would we expect to have likely seen their last squad, barring an injury crisis?

I am thinking:
Jamie McGrath - after a bright start, has settled in to mid-table Scot Prem level.
James Collins - dropped to L1 and doing little.
Daryl Horgan - made little impression in the Champ and now a bit-part player in L1.
Cyrus Christie - Hardly getting a look-in for Hull.
Conor Hourihane - dropped to L1 where he's working away.

I see Hourihane in and even getting caps, but as for the rest, don't think any will even make the squad and be even further adrift as future squads get named.
Hourihane will soon then fall away also.

McGrath has a chance to come back, but little sign of that as yet.

Edited by Fozz - 15 Sep 2022 at 11:05am
Stillill View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:15pm
Lads anyone been to Hampden before? I know you can get a train out from Glasgow but a Scottish mate has just told me they close the station after the match as it's too small to accommodate the crowds. That can't be right, can it? I'm in the Scottish end with the young lad, I'd rather not be stuck without an exit plan.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:45pm
Goalkeepers: Gavin Bazunu (Southampton), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Max O'Leary (Bristol City)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Shane Duffy (Fulham), John Egan (Sheffield United), Nathan Collins (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Robbie Brady (Preston North End). 

Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Burnley), Jeff Hendrick (Reading), Jason Knight (Derby County), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Conor Hourihane (Derby County), Callum O'Dowda (Cardiff City).

Forwards: Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Michael Obafemi (Swansea City), Troy Parrott (Preston North End), Callum Robinson (Cardiff City), Scott Hogan (Birmingham City).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
  Share Topic