You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

West Brom have been playing with a back four all season and he's been ever present at CB bar one game I believe where he started RB and was back in at CB during the first half.

I was sure that he was moved to LB in place of Townsend in the game that he scored. If not, my bad, is it fair to say that he has played as a full back for his club more often than Brady and O'Dowda have. Did he not initially break through in to the first team as a full back?
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Bazunu
       Collins Egan O'Shea
Doherty.                  McClean 
          Molumby Cullen
                  Knight
         Ogbene Parrott

Is what I think he should go for. Ogbene over Obafemi as Scotland I presume will try and hunt for possession and play high up. Pace could be key in that situation which Ogbene has. A busy midfield is paramount too Molumby and Knight will keep it busy.

Defence and keeper are solid as a rock. Doherty a must start if fit.

Only changes I'd make to that would be Coleman for McClean and Obafemi for Parrott. Scotland's full backs are strong enough to exploit McClean so I'd much rather Doherty and Coleman playing. They're also very slow at centre back so I think having as much pace up top as possible with Ogbene and Parrot would be beneficial.

I wouldn't knock swapping Coleman for McClean at all as McClean is a bit of a liability defensively. Just he hasn't played and I would trust Doherty to come in cold off a lack of gametime more then Coleman. 

Think throwing in Brady or O'Dowda LWB in this would be a big risk.

Edited by kevin100 - 22 Sep 2022 at 3:35pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

West Brom have been playing with a back four all season and he's been ever present at CB bar one game I believe where he started RB and was back in at CB during the first half.

I was sure that he was moved to LB in place of Townsend in the game that he scored. If not, my bad, is it fair to say that he has played as a full back for his club more often than Brady and O'Dowda have. Did he not initially break through in to the first team as a full back?

Dara as per transfermkt.co.uk has played 110 times for West Brom, 27, almost a quarter of those games have been played as a full back (24 @ RB, 3 at LB). He has long been regarded as a versatile defender and has lined out at RB for Ireland on one occasion. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:46pm

Bazunu
       Collins Egan O'Shea
          Molumby Cullen
                  Knight
         Ogbene Parrott

Is what I think he should go for. Ogbene over Obafemi as Scotland I presume will try and hunt for possession and play high up. Pace could be key in that situation which Ogbene has. A busy midfield is paramount too Molumby and Knight will keep it busy.

Only changes I'd make to that would be Coleman for McClean and Obafemi for Parrott. Scotland's full backs are strong enough to exploit McClean so I'd much rather Doherty and Coleman playing. They're also very slow at centre back so I think having as much pace up top as possible with Ogbene and Parrot would be beneficial.

I wouldn't knock swapping Coleman for McClean at all as McClean is a bit of a liability defensively. Just he hasn't played and I would trust Doherty to come in cold off a lack of gametime more then Coleman. 

Think throwing in Brady or O'Dowda LWB in this would be a big risk.

I like the idea of playing a defender rather than Mc Clean, but Coleman has never really impressed as a RWB imo. He's an old school full back plus he's clearly regressing and is lacking minutes this season, thus why I was mooting the possibility of O'Shea possibly playing either LWB or RWB with Doherty on the opposite flank. I dont think it's that outlandish a suggestion. Think he could do a job on Stuart Armstrong who is a clever little player but isnt the paciest.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:46pm
I think playing left back is an easier transition for a centre back than playing left wing back. I think there might be a logic to it if we were playing a team where we expected to be on the back foot all game and we wanted to play an out and out back 5. But against Scotland where we're going to hopefully try and attack them at least some of the time I don't think it would be a good move. Left wing back is nearly as much of a midfield position as a defensive position really.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Sep 2022 at 3:47pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think playing left back is an easier transition for a centre back than playing left wing back. I think there might be a logic to it if we were playing a team where we expected to be on the back foot all game and we wanted to play an out and out back 5. But against Scotland where we're going to hopefully try and attack them at least some of the time I don't think it would be a good move. Left wing back is nearly as much of a midfield position as a defensive position really.

I get that and I wouldnt advocate playing him there at home to Armenia, but I think we will be on the back foot for long stretches in this game. We are away from home against a fired up, in form Scotland in front of a full Hampden. I can see Armstrong and Hickey take the absolute mick out of Mc Clean (who I am a fan of btw, but dont rate defensively) down the RHS. Dara will also be an asset both defensively and offensively from set pieces (2 Scottish goals from corners last night) and it gets both himself and Duffy (our top scorer in recent years) in to the team. He also has a couple of goals this season, more than most of our striking options.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:03pm

O'Shea would not be the quickest, while he can do a decent job at full back I would agree that wing back is a tougher ask. I just think it has to be Doherty at LWB considering he's up against a good attacking player in Hickey. There's a risk that any of McClean, Brady, or O'Dowda would get butchered defensively against him, the defensive side of their games is really poor. By all means play them against a weaker side like Armenia where we will need their attacking quality more than defensive work, but Scotland are a step above that.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:10pm

O'Shea would not be the quickest, while he can do a decent job at full back I would agree that wing back is a tougher ask. I just think it has to be Doherty at LWB considering he's up against a good attacking player in Hickey. There's a risk that any of McClean, Brady, or O'Dowda would get butchered defensively against him, the defensive side of their games is really poor. By all means play them against a weaker side like Armenia where we will need their attacking quality more than defensive work, but Scotland are a step above that.

I agree with nearly all of that. My chief concern would be Coleman @ RWB, he hasnt had minutes this season and on last sighting, he looked like a player in decline. Also I would worry just as much, if not more about a fit Tierney down the Scots right vs Coleman.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:28pm
Browne did well at RWB and honestly feel he could be worth another shift there after his performances in June.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:29pm

I agree with nearly all of that. My chief concern would be Coleman @ RWB, he hasnt had minutes this season and on last sighting, he looked like a player in decline. Also I would worry just as much, if not more about a fit Tierney down the Scots right vs Coleman.

Apologies, I mean down the Scots left. The idea with O'Shea at LWB would be too play him a little deeper to negate the Scot threat down that flank, while playing Doherty higher at RWB to push Tierney back and allow Robinson to occupy that space higher up on the LHS where he can cause problems. As I said previously Dara is also an additional set piece asset at both ends.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm

Tierney hasn't had many minutes either this year tbf. While age has definitely blunted Coleman's attacking prowess, he remains very strong defensively and i'd still absolutely trust him to negate a dangerous attacking player. He's managed it plenty of times over the last couple of years up against players of genuine quality like Mané, so I would be fairly optimistic he can cancel out Tierney.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:40pm

Browne did well at RWB and honestly feel he could be worth another shift there after his performances in June.

I like Browne and think he's a real option instead of Knight, but I'd always advocate playing your best players in their best positions, so I'd stick with Matt as the RWB. The idea with Dara at LWB is that it also gets Duffy on the pitch and I think gives us a solid look (and a huge set piece threat). In any case it's going to be an interesting selection given the disparity of views on here.

BAZ
COLLINS  DUFFY EGAN
O'SHEA
DOHERTY CULLEN
KNIGHT MOLUMBY

ROBINSON
OGBENE
Idah Dream!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:43pm

I like Browne and think he's a real option instead of Knight, but I'd always advocate playing your best players in their best positions, so I'd stick with Matt as the RWB. The idea with Dara at LWB is that it also gets Duffy on the pitch and I think gives us a solid look (and a huge set piece threat). In any case it's going to be an interesting selection given the disparity of views on here.

BAZ
COLLINS  DUFFY EGAN
O'SHEA
DOHERTY CULLEN
KNIGHT MOLUMBY

ROBINSON
OGBENE

Robinson over Parrott or Obafemi seems a bizarre one to me, otherwise I like that team. Can't see him not selecting McClean at lwb but Kenny has been known to throw a few curve balls.

Interestingly, I haven't seen one person go for an Ogbene Obafemi partnership. They could cause any defence absolute mayhem

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 22 Sep 2022 at 4:44pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

BAZ
COLLINS  DUFFY EGAN
O'SHEA
DOHERTY CULLEN
KNIGHT MOLUMBY

ROBINSON
OGBENE

Robinson over Parrott or Obafemi seems a bizarre one to me, otherwise I like that team. Can't see him not selecting McClean at lwb but Kenny has been known to throw a few curve balls.

Interestingly, I haven't seen one person go for an Ogbene Obafemi partnership. They could cause any defence absolute mayhem

I think Ogbene Obafemi might just be too similar with both looking to run in behind. I think it's one of the two with one of Robinson or Parrott. I have plumped for Robinson purely down to his experience and the fact that he like to drop in on the LHS, pick ball up deep and run at defenders. I still dont really know what Parrott does and he aint scoring or assisting atm.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:57pm

BAZ
COLLINS  DUFFY EGAN
O'SHEA
DOHERTY CULLEN
KNIGHT MOLUMBY

ROBINSON
OGBENE

I think Ogbene Obafemi might just be too similar with both looking to run in behind. I think it's one of the two with one of Robinson or Parrott. I have plumped for Robinson purely down to his experience and the fact that he like to drop in on the LHS, pick ball up deep and run at defenders. I still dont really know what Parrott does and he aint scoring or assisting atm.

He's assisting the people who assist the assisters. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

BAZ
COLLINS  DUFFY EGAN
O'SHEA
DOHERTY CULLEN
KNIGHT MOLUMBY

ROBINSON
OGBENE

He's assisting the people who assist the assisters. 

I thought you had decided that was Connolly?
Idah Dream!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Bazunu
       Collins Egan O'Shea
          Molumby Cullen
                  Knight
         Ogbene Parrott

Still think he'll go with Duffy vs a Scotland team that scored 2 from corners last night, and are also missing 2 or 3 defenders themselves. Can see Shane being important at both ends of the pitch and while his mistakes passing out were awful, he was good otherwise in the reverse fixture in both boxes. Surely we can find a way to play out that doesnt consistently involve him.

Obafemi is every bit as pacey if not more so than Ogbene, but Ogbene's the man in form, so I'd agree with you there. I'm not sure re Parrott, who seems to be struggling for goals atm. Robinson is streaky but he had a good debut for Cardiff last week (2 assists) and he has that experience which might be important away in Glasgow.

The rest is pretty much what I think Kenny will go with, I'd still like to hear peoples opinion on the possibility of playing O'Shea at LWB? I expect we will be on the back foot for portions of the game and Mc Clean (or Brady) isnt the greatest defender in the world. Agree that Doherty is an absolute must. Coleman RWB and Doherty LWB is another option that hasnt been discussed much.

No one is interested in talking about O’Shea playing LWB as he can’t play there and we have better options for that position in McClean, Brady, Doherty and O’Dowda.

Why cant he play there? He has played there for WBA, even as recently as this season, scoring in that game if I recall, albeit from a corner. None of the players you listed are natural left wing backs, so I dont see why he cant be included in the conversation? He has often played as a full back for his club also. I would trust him defensively more than any of Mc Clean, Brady or O'Dowda especially vs a clever player like Stuart Armstrong in a game where we are likely to be on the back foot for long stretches.

He has never played LWB in a back 5, WBA play 4 at the back so what are you talking about?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:10pm

Dara as per transfermkt.co.uk has played 110 times for West Brom, 27, almost a quarter of those games have been played as a full back (24 @ RB, 3 at LB). He has long been regarded as a versatile defender and has lined out at RB for Ireland on one occasion. 

And not once had he played LWB or RWB in a back 5! There’s a difference between playing full back in a back 4 than playing one in a back 5, are you not aware of this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 32>
  Share Topic