You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The bitterness towards Scotland is comical on here from some.  They are no different to us in that they overestimate how good and bad they are at times.  Like all football fans.  

It's far from bitterness calling out arrogance. They won the game fairly but it would be enjoyable seeing them knocked down a peg or two. A lot of football fans enjoy seeing the English fall flat on their arses when their media/fans over hype them and I see Scotland in a similar light at the moment. 
just hit the fecking thing
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by limerick lad limerick lad wrote:

The bitterness towards Scotland is comical on here from some.  They are no different to us in that they overestimate how good and bad they are at times.  Like all football fans.  

It's far from bitterness calling out arrogance. They won the game fairly but it would be enjoyable seeing them knocked down a peg or two. A lot of football fans enjoy seeing the English fall flat on their arses when their media/fans over hype them and I see Scotland in a similar light at the moment. 
Scots are hilarious - yer man ET posted earlier that we them a terrible fright as if we are a minnow. Both of us are in the group because we are more or less the same standard. Their history at tournaments is dreadful, never once getting out of the group stage whereas we have got out 4 from 6 times. Even last year they had 2 home games at the euros and were well beaten in both. Deluded...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:06am
And do you not think we were bigging it up when we won 3-0 in June.  It’s what some football fans do.  All teams countries have a mixture of muppets and sound people.  Ireland and Scotland are no different.  
Scotland have been much better than us over the last 4 years.  We are likely to be better than them in 3 years in my view. This is what happens with smaller countries. You get a period where good players come through and you have to make hay when it happens.  Scotland had a fallow period for 15 or so years. Some of that was because of bad managers but mostly due to lack of good players being produced.  

Now they have McTominay, Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Patterson who are all good players playing in the PL and some in the CL and they are all in good age bracket.   

In my view gobsh*tes on both sides tend to wind each other up, same happens with Bohs and Rovers etc. 
AKA pedantic kunt
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:11am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Just saw the goals on youtube.  Was it O'Shea who gave the penalty away?

What the fook was he doing?  On youtube it looks like he is running twards the ball with both arms in the air.  

Browne. Moment of madness/panic. He's not good enough but we're short in midfield so he's still there along with one or two others. We have no depth in centre mid at all.

Conor Coventry …..
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:14am
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

What the fook was he doing?  On youtube it looks like he is running twards the ball with both arms in the air.  

Browne. Moment of madness/panic. He's not good enough but we're short in midfield so he's still there along with one or two others. We have no depth in centre mid at all.

Conor Coventry …..

Smallbone
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:16am

Conor Coventry …..

LOL
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:44am

And do you not think we were bigging it up when we won 3-0 in June.  It’s what some football fans do.  All teams countries have a mixture of muppets and sound people.  Ireland and Scotland are no different.  
Scotland have been much better than us over the last 4 years.  We are likely to be better than them in 3 years in my view. This is what happens with smaller countries. You get a period where good players come through and you have to make hay when it happens.  Scotland had a fallow period for 15 or so years. Some of that was because of bad managers but mostly due to lack of good players being produced.  

Now they have McTominay, Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Patterson who are all good players playing in the PL and some in the CL and they are all in good age bracket.   

In my view gobsh*tes on both sides tend to wind each other up, same happens with Bohs and Rovers etc. 

I'm not talking about fans gloating about results though, and I have no doubt some Irish fans would have done that in June. I'm talking about this superiority complex that I get from a good portion of their fans that I have interacted with since 2014. Even Ewan Murray (Scottish football writer) wrote in the Guardian this week that "Irish fans and pundits bridle, not without justification,at the sense of superiority from Scotland ". We also saw if during the summer with the expectation that Motherwell would beat the "minnows " Sligo Rovers. And I absolutely know we have fans who would do the same in refering to some countries/teams and I bet they would then like to see us get dropped down a peg or two.

Anyway, to close on this I would definitely take them as 2nd seeds in Euro Qualifiers. I think we showed enough against them last night to highlight we can cause them problems.

just hit the fecking thing
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:27pm

"First half tonight Scotland were poor, although should have had a penalty and Parrot sent off. Decent enough in the second half where I thought Taylor was quality and Christie improved alot too. 

Ireland however are absolute dogsh*t. I'm still embarrassed we lost to them 3 nil. Bully boys with no skill, at times it was like watching Celtic vs Kilmarnock. They tried to bully Scotland into a mistake and then score on the counter. It produced 2 decent chances, somehow Parrot failed to score his."

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

"First half tonight Scotland were poor, although should have had a penalty and Parrot sent off. Decent enough in the second half where I thought Taylor was quality and Christie improved alot too. 

Ireland however are absolute dogsh*t. I'm still embarrassed we lost to them 3 nil. Bully boys with no skill, at times it was like watching Celtic vs Kilmarnock. They tried to bully Scotland into a mistake and then score on the counter. It produced 2 decent chances, somehow Parrot failed to score his."

Their fans are worse than England.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Conor Coventry …..

Smallbone

Smallbone might help a bit, I'm not convinced Coventry or Kilkenny will be any better than the squad players we already have, they definitely have a lot of ground to make up at least - Cullen did it so it can be done but they're well off for now. Hodge might be a better bet but that will be a couple of years wait for him also.

It's not great. Maybe we'll need to sink to the level Steve Clarke sunk to this week in his search for a new Scottish goalkeeper to replace the 40 year old Gordon:

"We are looking around trying to find somebody with a granny that is Scottish that doesn’t really know they are Scottish."

To be fair all Englishmen are eligible for Scotland under FIFA rules because Scotland and England are the same country so maybe they should just start calling up lads with no connection to their part of the country at all and be done with it. Sounds like they're almost there anyway.

Edited by You Tell Me - 25 Sep 2022 at 12:54pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
I don’t think the rules now would allow it but Maik Taylor, born in Germany to an English father and German mother and with no family connections however remote with the North or any other part of Ireland, won 88 senior caps as the NI goalkeeper. Good luck to Clarke in replacing Gordon, there’s not much out there at the moment.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:24pm
RTE player ratings are pretty damned harsh after that performance vs a decent Scots side!
Idah Dream!
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

It's a British thing. Same as the way they booed our anth yesterday whilst we respected theirs perfectly in Dublin. The Scots are Brits when all is said and done 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:03pm
We were very unlucky not to leave with at least a point. Kenny never seems to get the luck that other managers sometimes do. We were brilliant in the 1st half and had moments to kill the game after HT.

Bazunu - 7 Quick off his line and good distribution. Blameless for both both goals.

O'Shea - 6 He defended well overall. He struggled more than his CB partners in the 2nd half.

Egan - 7 Great finish for the goal. Some vital interventions. But fell asleep for the equaliser.

Collins - 8 A Rolls Royce of a CB. Calm on the ball and able to start attacks on his own.

McClean - 6 Put in a decent shift as usual. One or two dangerous crosses.

Knight - 6 He didn't offer much in terms of creativity. His off the ball work was important.

Cullen - 6 His usual reliable self. He's always looking to receive the ball, even in tight situations.

Molumby - 7 Tenacious. His aggression and ability to press help us create chances.

Doherty - 6.5 He played well overall. But has to take blame for the Hendry goal. Bad effort with his left foot also. A lack of regular games is the issue there. That extra sharpness was missing.

Parrott - 5.5 He wasn't that bad outside of the crucial miss... nothing came off for him though. Offside for his solo goal, fouled for his back post header, and missed the chance of the game. Needs a goal soon to build confidence again.

Obafemi - 7 Sloppy when releasing it at times due to rustiness. Yet his holdup play was solid and he always looked a threat when he ran at them with the ball. Great play for the Parrott chance.

Ogbene was good when he came on. His pace and directness caused them problems.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:57am

Meanwhile on the Tartan Army forum some Scottish twit  sh*tLips Poolahan has copied and pasted a quote from the YBIG forum to prove that all Ireland fans are morons. 

Well done lads Clap
It would damage this forums' reputation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Meanwhile on the Tartan Army forum some Scottish twit  sh*tLips Poolahan has copied and pasted a quote from the YBIG forum to prove that all Ireland fans are morons. 

Well done lads Clap

Fartie Spliff asks for a picture with a Scottish footballer and gets called a Fenian. "He really likes me!"

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 26 Sep 2022 at 10:31am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
Josh Cullen almost gets sent off for, not one, but two acts of stupidity at the end of the first half. Crickets.

Alan Browne makes a daft mistake to concede a penalty, half the time which wouldn't be given. Gets called every name under the sun.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:44am

Josh Cullen almost gets sent off for, not one, but two acts of stupidity at the end of the first half. Crickets.

Alan Browne makes a daft mistake to concede a penalty, half the time which wouldn't be given. Gets called every name under the sun.

I also saw RTE try to pin the blame on O'Shea for the Hendry goal, when it was clear as day Egan lets his man go and gets drawn to the ball. O'Shea has to stay with Dykes. I thought O'Shea was actually the best of our CBs on the day, using the ball intelligently when playing out of defence.

It's not new, certain players get an easy ride, others not so much, it's the same at any club/country, it's just the nature of things, so it's not really a surprise. In Cullen's defence, he absolutely tried to pull out of that 2nd challenge, but he was still a bit lucky. Overall it wasnt one of Cullen's better games, but he has plenty of credit in the bank. Browne's arms in the air like that are always going to draw criticism.

Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
  Share Topic