You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 2:21am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

They did get to a World Cup semi final
And euros final in the last two major tournaments.  On a bad run of form currently in division A.  Generally the higher standard of team you are playing for is a reflection of your ability as a player.  The more players playing at the highest level is a reflection of the individual abilities of the members of the team.  The manager then turns them into a collective.  It is a far harder to turn lesser players in a really good team than it is with players of greater ability.  The biggest determining factor of whether a team will be successful at international level is the ability of the players.  That is is 90% of the reason why teams win. There are exceptions like Greece and currently Hungary but players ability is the main driver for success. Scotland have better players than us.  Simple as that which is why they are playing at a higher level. 

And part of that is that the bulk of their squad are in their prime physical years, 23-30.

The bulk of ours are either 30+, or U23s. We only have a small handful of lads in their mid-late 20's.

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

smallbone yes, Connolly no way - he’s not going to get games in Italy from what we’ve seen so far, Idah unfortunately is completely injury prone but would be a genuine option otherwise, Festy defo an option like Hunt used to be off the bench (speed scares teams). We do need more depth, will Ferguson come through and replace Idah?

Ferguson is 18, so i'm not going to be too harsh, but he was pure sh*te last night despite the goal, he has a long way to go yet despite the hype, time will tell. Connolly is a young lad who earned a 25k a week contract and then lost his way. To dismiss him is pure stupidity! He's a very good footballer if he gets his head right! Idah will hopefully get fit again, super prospect, only 21.

Ferguson is probably 4-5 years away from impacting the senior team IMO. He's got 1 goal & 1 assist in 9 games for the U21s. Parrott at the same age had 4 in 4, & we see how long it's taking him to adapt to senior football.
Ferguson is being overhyped, and that's not a good thing (Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi & Idah all show why, for various reasons), let the lad go to League 1 to develop for a couple of seasons, away from the PL lights/scrutiny/pressure.
I agree 100% with this. The hype around these young lads does them no favours and it's kind of sad when lads start getting on the likes of Connolly, Idah or Parrott's case just cause they're not the 2nd coming! They all want to wear the green and win games, it's not easy!

We give out about the English overrating established premier league starter’s (which isn’t necessarily wrong in terms of winning an international tournament) yet we heap pressure on any underage player with a bit of potential. I remember lads criticising mourinho for not playing parrott more off the back of underage games. Now suddenly he’s no good because he hasn’t scored in a while. He may not be good enough but let him find his level without any pressure. He’s essentially a championship player with huge pressure on him 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sponsored Links

Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 2:51am
It'll be interesting to see how Parrott develops - someone asked the question a few pages back would he possibly become an attacking midfielder.
He reputedly has a great engine, but is not explosively fast, so I could see it.

Fingers crossed that Idah's knee heals fully, and Connolly continues with his new-found maturity, humility and born-again passion.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 4:16am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

And I'm not aspiring to be on Scotlands level ffs. They are sh*te.

I am. Qualification for the Euros and a World Cup play off 

Hello Roy. Take Triggs for a walk 

Something they've managed despite being completely sh*te. 

Many on here would claim we were rubbish when we got a WC playoff a few years ago under MON, for example.

They manage to get results by being very similar to how we used to be between 2014-2018. A battling, hard working side that has become hard to beat. Yet the same fellas that deride what we were now hold Scotland up as some sort of aspirational target. Completely bizarre.

Ah here. If you are trying to say that Scotland under Clarke are a version of Trapattoni or O'Neill then you weren't sitting in the stands watching us. 

As the Scottish are nothing like that. Results wise yes, but performance wise that's a ridiculous statement. Martin O'Neill's tactics away to Denmark in a play off was to hoof the ball, and if they were further up the pitch hit it off a Danish player for a throw. It was Soccer Rugby. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:53am
The Scots are the weirdest bunch ever.

Had a quick read of their forum this morning and they're accusing Ireland fans of singing IRA songs and think we made no chances and played long ball.

They are so deluded it's unbelievable. Hopefully the Ukranians batter them.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Had a quick read of their forum this morning and they're accusing Ireland fans of singing IRA songs and think we made no chances and played long ball.

Some fans broke out inCeltic Symphony and it was boo'd.

We crrated a few good chamces played nice stuff but definitely.mixed in some long balls/passes

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:12am

The IRA songs aren’t an accusation, we did sing them. But it was very brief.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:13am
Just saw the goals on youtube.  Was it O'Shea who gave the penalty away?

What the fook was he doing?  On youtube it looks like he is running twards the ball with both arms in the air.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:14am

LOL

Do they think the Fields of Athenry is an IRA song? 

In fairness, if they are looking at our forum they are probably reading plenty of deluded content. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

That is disappointing if correct, what clowns we have as supporters. 

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 25 Sep 2022 at 9:18am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

That is disappointing what clowns we have as supporters. 

Not as big as clowns as the Scottish boo boys.

At least we self police.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:19am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

That is disappointing what clowns we have as supporters. 
It was only Celtic Symphony which isn’t a bad one as far as RA songs go but yeah, not a huge fan of it either 
jamie2905 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie2905 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:53am
A lot of people were very clearly singing "Ohh Ohh up the ra" .. everyone says we have the best fans but we have plenty of the worst.
The demographic of fans attending has changed for the worse in the last few years in my opinion

limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:04am

Their arrogance is what annoys me the best. They genuinely think they are a far superior team to what they are. They have some very good players but I spoke to a lot of them at both games who were fully expecting to steamroll us. I hope Ukraine sort them Tuesday night 

Edited by limerick lad - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:05am
just hit the fecking thing
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What the fook was he doing?  On youtube it looks like he is running twards the ball with both arms in the air.  

Alan Browne.  Clear as day. 
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by limerick lad limerick lad wrote:

Their arrogance is what annoys me the best. They genuinely think they are a far superior team to what they are. They have some very good players but I spoke to a lot of them at both games who were fully expecting to steamroll us. I hope Ukraine sort them Tuesday night 

I wouldn't worry too much, with that goalkeeper and central defence they'll be back down to earth with a bang before long regardless of what happens Tuesday. Wouldn't at all mind getting them as the second seed in our qualifying group actually.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Browne. Moment of madness/panic. He's not good enough but we're short in midfield so he's still there along with one or two others. We have no depth in centre mid at all.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by limerick lad limerick lad wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much, with that goalkeeper and central defence they'll be back down to earth with a bang before long regardless of what happens Tuesday. Wouldn't at all mind getting them as the second seed in our qualifying group actually.

Would take them as second seeds all day long.

For a team as 'limited as Ireland' we cut them in two on the break on about five occasions.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:19am
The bitterness towards Scotland is comical on here from some.  They are no different to us in that they overestimate how good and bad they are at times.  Like all football fans.  
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
  Share Topic