You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Do people think that even if we did change manager we would suddenly be winning these games?? Kenny cannot make Parrott score that chance or any of the countless chances we have missed since he took over. We look a real danger on the counter attack now. Just need someone to finish the chances. Easier said  than done.

We usually lose or draw the games where we play poorly and we often lose or draw games that we have done enough to win.

The combination of those two things is really not good.

There are improvements in our patterns of play. But over nearly 30 games the results have not been good enough and they arent getting much better. That's why it's a very difficult situation. At some point he has to start getting consistent results. Otherwise what the f*ck are we doing?
The core issue is who replaces him. I’m not a huge Kenny fan but there’s nobody suitable for the job at the moment. We are progressing and yes results will need to be better in the Euros qualifiers, but we’re seeing quality from Irish teams that we haven’t seen in a long time.
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

We played reasonably well for decent periods but to be a bit harsh and critical, we should not be losing to a Scottish team that looked out of sorts and below par.

Ah come on, thats a sh*t take tbh, a scots team that just spanked Ukraine with 2 PL midfielders and the Scots poty vs our 2 Ch'ship lads and a L1 fella. They were blessed. Parrott not squaring the ball to Knight, the Doherty chance, he f**king Parrott miss! I'd love to see the xg for the game!

But even Scottish fans on social media thought their team were flat and below par and were very lucky to get the win.

Overall, I'd be 'glass half full' but we should have come away from there with a 1-1 or a 2-2.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:39pm

Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

He has 6 wins from 27 games.

The only embarrassing comment is yours claiming he has done a great job. It's a results business. At some point he has to get them. This moral victory sh*te cannot go on indefinitely.

We've the worst squad of players probably ever, he's doing a good job given the circumstances. 
If you're old enough to remember AERTEL in the 90s and early 2000s, there'd be Green scorers every weekend in the Premier League. Now we're hoping someone who can't score in the Championship gets us our goals. 

The results even in the circumstances cannot be considered good. We've lost and drawn to some terrible teams.

Tonight's performance was decent. Not many denying that. But we've lost again. We've made our task for the euros much harder with our poor nations league results. Qualification for the euros was supposed to be the target. 

At some point we have to start winning games. It isnt going to be like turning on a lightbulb, the Euro quals start in a few months and we are all of a sudden going to have to be consistent and getting results to be there or thereabouts.

Any time there is a hint of progress we go out and lose. It's so deflating.

Just what do you think Chris Hughton would to improve that? Wise up and get behind the young lads. Results are the goal, but we are bloodied young lads and with that comes inconsistency. We have just put together 3 very good performances on the bounce against teams whose level we are aspiring to. Baz, Nat, Dara, Jason, Jayson, Troy, Michael all 23 or under, 7 of the starting 11. Dozie and Josh are 25ish. Have some patience ffs!

Firstly, I didnt mention Hughton on this occasion. I'm just defending a good Irish manager from some utter bull spouted by some on here.

Secondly, youd literally be calling for patience after the World Cup 2030 qualifiers if Kenny was still in charge, we still hadn't qualified for anything and these players were over 30.

It's been nearly 30 games. He has gotten far more of a go and far more leeway than the majority of Irish managers in the last 50 years. Hes going to get the Euros but he is very lucky to be getting them based on results and I fail to see how anyone could have any confidence that he will get the results to get us there.

And I'm not aspiring to be on Scotlands level ffs. They are sh*te.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:41pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Do people think that even if we did change manager we would suddenly be winning these games?? Kenny cannot make Parrott score that chance or any of the countless chances we have missed since he took over. We look a real danger on the counter attack now. Just need someone to finish the chances. Easier said  than done.

We usually lose or draw the games where we play poorly and we often lose or draw games that we have done enough to win.

The combination of those two things is really not good.

There are improvements in our patterns of play. But over nearly 30 games the results have not been good enough and they arent getting much better. That's why it's a very difficult situation. At some point he has to start getting consistent results. Otherwise what the f*ck are we doing?

Again to get consistent results you need maybe better players than we have. Are we going to be consistent in the near future? Probably not. What we have got is the makings of a really good squad and we are playing some good football creating chances but we lack a goalscorer. And without one of them its hard to win games. Im not convinced replacing Kenny with someone else will improve that situation. Its all very frustrating. I think if Parrott scores tonight we win that game. I really do. 

I love beer gardens
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:43pm
Very frantic, intense and generally enjoyable game. Thought we looked very solid first half. Thought we were very very good for spells in the second half. Pretty sh*te way to lose a game. 

Parrott absolutely has to score. His first touch was the killer. He scores, we win in my opinion 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:44pm
people seem think it’s possible to put a manager in place who will guarantee us qualifying for euro 2024. That is not possible. Managers improve teams at international level in general by small margins.  The biggest differences is our playing squad improving by getting better players and existing players improving.  Our squad is not of the ability to qualify. That’s not to say it’s impossible but it would be out performing the current abilities 
AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:46pm

We played reasonably well for decent periods but to be a bit harsh and critical, we should not be losing to a Scottish team that looked out of sorts and below par.

Ah come on, thats a sh*t take tbh, a scots team that just spanked Ukraine with 2 PL midfielders and the Scots poty vs our 2 Ch'ship lads and a L1 fella. They were blessed. Parrott not squaring the ball to Knight, the Doherty chance, he f**king Parrott miss! I'd love to see the xg for the game!

But even Scottish fans on social media thought their team were flat and below par and were very lucky to get the win.

Overall, I'd be 'glass half full' but we should have come away from there with a 1-1 or a 2-2.
They were very lucky, that's the point! At least Scottish fans understand football, some on here haven't a scooby tbh! We didn't let them play, they couldn't deal with our tenacity on the night, but somehow they walked off with the 3 pts, that's football!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

people seem think it’s possible to put a manager in place who will guarantee us qualifying for euro 2024. That is not possible. Managers improve teams at international level in general by small margins.  The biggest differences is our playing squad improving by getting better players and existing players improving.  Our squad is not of the ability to qualify. That’s not to say it’s impossible but it would be out performing the current abilities 

I disagree entirely, I think granted a reasonable draw, we will qualify. Outside the traditional Big 5 or 6 European teams, we have one of the best crop of players aged 23 and under. Whether they improve sufficiently to get to Euro 24 is an unknown, but most are on the right track. We will be a very good team in 2 or 3 seasons time. Why on earth we should change manager now, given his track record with young lads and the camaraderie in the squad is just beyond me!
Idah Dream!
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:00am

We just got to hope all the strong league c teams don’t turn up. I want Kenny to do well but my worry is the result’s against so called Lowe sides
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:02am

Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

He has 6 wins from 27 games.

The only embarrassing comment is yours claiming he has done a great job. It's a results business. At some point he has to get them. This moral victory sh*te cannot go on indefinitely.

We've the worst squad of players probably ever, he's doing a good job given the circumstances. 
If you're old enough to remember AERTEL in the 90s and early 2000s, there'd be Green scorers every weekend in the Premier League. Now we're hoping someone who can't score in the Championship gets us our goals. 

The results even in the circumstances cannot be considered good. We've lost and drawn to some terrible teams.

Tonight's performance was decent. Not many denying that. But we've lost again. We've made our task for the euros much harder with our poor nations league results. Qualification for the euros was supposed to be the target. 

At some point we have to start winning games. It isnt going to be like turning on a lightbulb, the Euro quals start in a few months and we are all of a sudden going to have to be consistent and getting results to be there or thereabouts.

Any time there is a hint of progress we go out and lose. It's so deflating.

Just what do you think Chris Hughton would to improve that? Wise up and get behind the young lads. Results are the goal, but we are bloodied young lads and with that comes inconsistency. We have just put together 3 very good performances on the bounce against teams whose level we are aspiring to. Baz, Nat, Dara, Jason, Jayson, Troy, Michael all 23 or under, 7 of the starting 11. Dozie and Josh are 25ish. Have some patience ffs!

Firstly, I didnt mention Hughton on this occasion. I'm just defending a good Irish manager from some utter bull spouted by some on here.

Secondly, youd literally be calling for patience after the World Cup 2030 qualifiers if Kenny was still in charge, we still hadn't qualified for anything and these players were over 30.

It's been nearly 30 games. He has gotten far more of a go and far more leeway than the majority of Irish managers in the last 50 years. Hes going to get the Euros but he is very lucky to be getting them based on results and I fail to see how anyone could have any confidence that he will get the results to get us there.

Unless you acknowledge the absolute sh*te shape of the squad he took over by comparison with previous managers, I really couldn't be arsed arguing with you tbh.

As for the Scotland comment, that kind of sums up your viewpoint really. We should be better than them,cos we should, so we should! It's nonsense, nobody can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Trap got us results ( with a better set of players) but set us back years developmentally and I'd honestly prefer not to get to a major finals if I had to watch us play that turgid sh*te again!
Idah Dream!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:04am

I disagree entirely, I think granted a reasonable draw, we will qualify. Outside the traditional Big 5 or 6 European teams, we have one of the best crop of players aged 23 and under. Whether they improve sufficiently to get to Euro 24 is an unknown, but most are on the right track. We will be a very good team in 2 or 3 seasons time. Why on earth we should change manager now, given his track record with young lads and the camaraderie in the squad is just beyond me!

That’s potential. Truth is most our players are not playing champions league or top division football and are in 2nd tier league or even 3rd tier.  

Huge potential to be much better than we have been but still young naive and not game smart with killer instinct.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:08am

Just to add also, this is a young team that is going to improve, ffs we had 7 starters under 23 tonight and people are banging on about consistency. Kenny has assembled a really good young group of lads, results will fluctuate as they settle into international football

That might be fair enough but it still doesn’t excuse poor game management from Kenny.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:12am

I am. Qualification for the Euros and a World Cup play off 

Hello Roy. Take Triggs for a walk 
It would damage this forums' reputation
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:13am

That’s potential. Truth is most our players are not playing champions league or top division football and are in 2nd tier league or even 3rd tier.  

Huge potential to be much better than we have been but still young naive and not game smart with killer instinct.  

Of course, that's my point, we are callow, but there is a lot of talented players in the squad and coming through and there has been big improvement in the course of the last year, we barely have a L1 player now and how Knight is still there beggars belief! Give these kids another season and we will start to see more and more at PL teams. We have seen Baz and Nat make the leap this season! I strongly feel we are on the right track and while Kenny struggles to speak on camera, the young lads seem to like him and he seems well able to blood them. Keep the faith, we are going places!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Just to add also, this is a young team that is going to improve, ffs we had 7 starters under 23 tonight and people are banging on about consistency. Kenny has assembled a really good young group of lads, results will fluctuate as they settle into international football

That might be fair enough but it still doesn’t excuse poor game management from Kenny.

No might about it, as for game mgmt, would I have made the changes, no, but I don't know the condition of players etc. I'd have subbed Troy off earlier and I'd have Jeff all day ahead of Browne, but what do I know. I think we were just unlucky tonight and a very young striker fluffed his lines, it happens!
Idah Dream!
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:26am
It does happen, you’re correct, but how many more times are we going to fail to close out games where we’re winning and/or are the better team: Scotland away; Ukraine away; Portugal Away (and maybe at home, too)? Also, we could’ve avoided some of the problems we face by not losing away to Armenia. 
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:30am
Just finished watching the game, and I'm guessing it's all been said on this forum.
So - Parrott off, Ogbene on. Hendricks instead of Browne.

Armenia - we should have most of the ball, but how do we break them down? There won't be the space behind for Obafemi to run into.

Forget who is was, but someone on here kept insisting Molumby would mature into a good player for us back when most of us were saying it looks like he won't be that player, and happily it looks like that poster was right. Him and Cullen are the central mid now and for the future.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

It does happen, you’re correct, but how many more times are we going to fail to close out games where we’re winning and/or are the better team: Scotland away; Ukraine away; Portugal Away (and maybe at home, too)? Also, we could’ve avoided some of the problems we face by not losing away to Armenia. 

I think the very fact you acknowledge we were the better team vs teams of that calibre should give you some comfort. It's a young team on a steep learning curve, we are improving all the time. When we start to look like we are going backwards, that will be the time to worry! For now, we look like a team getting better game by game, enjoy it, life's too short!
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
  Share Topic