You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 32>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Browne did well at RWB and honestly feel he could be worth another shift there after his performances in June.

I like Browne and think he's a real option instead of Knight, but I'd always advocate playing your best players in their best positions, so I'd stick with Matt as the RWB. The idea with Dara at LWB is that it also gets Duffy on the pitch and I think gives us a solid look (and a huge set piece threat). In any case it's going to be an interesting selection given the disparity of views on here.

BAZ
COLLINS  DUFFY EGAN
O'SHEA
DOHERTY CULLEN
KNIGHT MOLUMBY

ROBINSON
OGBENE

Robinson over Parrott or Obafemi seems a bizarre one to me, otherwise I like that team. Can't see him not selecting McClean at lwb but Kenny has been known to throw a few curve balls.

Interestingly, I haven't seen one person go for an Ogbene Obafemi partnership. They could cause any defence absolute mayhem

I think Ogbene Obafemi might just be too similar with both looking to run in behind. I think it's one of the two with one of Robinson or Parrott. I have plumped for Robinson purely down to his experience and the fact that he like to drop in on the LHS, pick ball up deep and run at defenders. I still dont really know what Parrott does and he aint scoring or assisting atm.

Parrott's been really bright for us and already has 4 international goals. He was brilliant linking up with Obafemi in June and deserves to start on merit
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Bazunu
       Collins Egan O'Shea
Doherty.                  McClean 
          Molumby Cullen
                  Knight
         Ogbene Parrott

Is what I think he should go for. Ogbene over Obafemi as Scotland I presume will try and hunt for possession and play high up. Pace could be key in that situation which Ogbene has. A busy midfield is paramount too Molumby and Knight will keep it busy.

Defence and keeper are solid as a rock. Doherty a must start if fit.

I would siding with this line up too.

We don't get to see these players training during the week so we are just judging on form and playing regularly for their clubs as well as judging the performances in the last matches in June. But the team above makes sense to me on those points.

The calls for Duffy and Coleman starting, this is my way of looking at it. All three of Doherty, Duffy and Coleman have played very little from preseason to competitive matches until now. I think we can only get away with starting one of those three due to their lack of match sharpness. Starting 2 or 3 of those players together is a big risk for me. Also I think the first two matches in June showed that starting too many players who are not match fit/sharp can cost us. I think Doherty is the best player we have in his position and has shown before he can perform for Ireland even when he is not playing regularly for the club. Duffy has shown in the past that if he is not playing regularly he doesn't perform that well for Ireland. I just don't know about starting Coleman at RWB again especially not match fit/sharp, if he was going to start I think it would be as the RCB but there are fully fit centre back players who are playing well ahead of him there. So I think Doherty wins out out of the three to start.
I understand the leadership and experience qualities both Duffy and Coleman bring to the Irish team, especially a young team like ours. But you would hope Egan and McClean would take those leadership roles on the pitch. 

Edited by darman28 - 22 Sep 2022 at 5:20pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:19pm

Browne did well at RWB and honestly feel he could be worth another shift there after his performances in June.

I think so too, I really liked his midfield involvement from that position, that he wasnt hugging the touchline just getting up and down for the 90 the way someone like Doherty would as a natural RWB. He stepped into midfield and got stuck in at times, winning back balls when out of possession and getting the attack started again. Once back in possession and on the counter he was back picking up the the high wide area ready to receive the ball again where you'd expect your RWB to be. He was really sound in defense too, had no issues getting back and defending when needed too. Good awareness and judgement of where and when to be.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

West Brom have been playing with a back four all season and he's been ever present at CB bar one game I believe where he started RB and was back in at CB during the first half.

I was sure that he was moved to LB in place of Townsend in the game that he scored. If not, my bad, is it fair to say that he has played as a full back for his club more often than Brady and O'Dowda have. Did he not initially break through in to the first team as a full back?

Dara as per transfermkt.co.uk has played 110 times for West Brom, 27, almost a quarter of those games have been played as a full back (24 @ RB, 3 at LB). He has long been regarded as a versatile defender and has lined out at RB for Ireland on one occasion. 

And not once had he played LWB or RWB in a back 5! There’s a difference between playing full back in a back 4 than playing one in a back 5, are you not aware of this?

I'm fully aware thanks. Given that West Brom have played 5 at the back in previous seasons, I would be surprised if the versatile O'Shea hasnt ever played as a wing back, but I'm not going to investiagte further. Coleman is another who has very limited experience as a wing back. My point is that I dont trust McClean, Brady or O'Dowda defensively and I dont see why O'Shea couldnt play there. I have gone to some lengths to explain my thinking on this but seeing as you have simply declared he cant play there and others can, I'll just leave it at that.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I think so too, I really liked his midfield involvement from that position, that he wasnt hugging the touchline just getting up and down for the 90 the way someone like Doherty would as a natural RWB. He stepped into midfield and got stuck in at times, winning back balls when out of possession and getting the attack started again. Once back in possession and on the counter he was back picking up the the high wide area ready to receive the ball again where you'd expect your RWB to be. He was really sound in defense too, had no issues getting back and defending when needed too. Good awareness and judgement of where and when to be.

See I think that's where Doherty was missed and Browne offered some similarities to him in that position. At Wolves he was used to coming inside off the wing given they played 3-4-3. Christie was spending too much time hugging the touchline and Hendrick was wrecked during the second game so that RHS of midfield wasn't offering much.

RWB might not be his best position but if he fits the system better than others then he should be considered an option.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Bazunu
       Collins Egan O'Shea
Doherty.                  McClean 
          Molumby Cullen
                  Knight
         Ogbene Parrott

This, but with Obafemi instead of Ogbebe 👌🏼
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:51pm

West Brom have been playing with a back four all season and he's been ever present at CB bar one game I believe where he started RB and was back in at CB during the first half.

I was sure that he was moved to LB in place of Townsend in the game that he scored. If not, my bad, is it fair to say that he has played as a full back for his club more often than Brady and O'Dowda have. Did he not initially break through in to the first team as a full back?

Dara as per transfermkt.co.uk has played 110 times for West Brom, 27, almost a quarter of those games have been played as a full back (24 @ RB, 3 at LB). He has long been regarded as a versatile defender and has lined out at RB for Ireland on one occasion. 

And not once had he played LWB or RWB in a back 5! There’s a difference between playing full back in a back 4 than playing one in a back 5, are you not aware of this?

I'm fully aware thanks. Given that West Brom have played 5 at the back in previous seasons, I would be surprised if the versatile O'Shea hasnt ever played as a wing back, but I'm not going to investiagte further. Coleman is another who has very limited experience as a wing back. My point is that I dont trust McClean, Brady or O'Dowda defensively and I dont see why O'Shea couldnt play there. I have gone to some lengths to explain my thinking on this but seeing as you have simply declared he cant play there and others can, I'll just leave it at that.

I'll leave this discussion around O'Shea noting that Robertson and Tierney, both predominantly full backs in a 4 at their clubs, certainly Robertson, have played CB and WB for their countries, Doherty has played as a RWB/LWB and CB for Ireland, probably as a full back also, as has Coleman. Azpilicueta etc. etc. 

O'Dowda has barely played 10 games as a wing back and is a converted winger as are Brady and Mc Clean. In a game where we are likely to be on the back foot and up against a clever but not particularly pacey wide player like Stuart Armstrong, O'Shea's versatility has to at the very least merit consideration. Your condescension is cloying tbh!
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:57pm

I'll leave this discussion around O'Shea noting that Robertson and Tierney, both predominantly full backs in a 4 at their clubs, certainly Robertson, have played CB and WB for their countries, Doherty has played as a RWB/LWB and CB for Ireland, probably as a full back also, as has Coleman. Azpilicueta etc. etc. 

O'Dowda has barely played 10 games as a wing back and is a converted winger as are Brady and Mc Clean. In a game where we are likely to be on the back foot and up against a clever but not particularly pacey wide player like Stuart Armstrong, O'Shea's versatility has to at the very least merit consideration. Your condescension is cloying tbh!

I don't think the shout is terrible at all. I would keep Browne at RWB and play Doherty at LWB before I would chance O'Shea there. It's down the pecking order of things I would do tbh!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:30pm

I like Browne and think he's a real option instead of Knight, but I'd always advocate playing your best players in their best positions, so I'd stick with Matt as the RWB. The idea with Dara at LWB is that it also gets Duffy on the pitch and I think gives us a solid look (and a huge set piece threat). In any case it's going to be an interesting selection given the disparity of views on here.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg

Edited by Greenie50 - 22 Sep 2022 at 6:30pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg

Explained ad nauseam. We dont have a decent defensive LWB in the squad.

"best players" in their "best positions" - Our best players are Matt, Gav, Nathan and Josh - I am not advocating playing them out of position!
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 7:05pm
I'd be happy if we get out of there with a 1-1 draw. The performance is just as important as the result.

With Scotland winning last night, any glimmer of 2nd place looks bleak. A 0-0 draw is what we needed.

Scottish heads will be up now. A confidence building goal for McGinn who has been out of form at Villa.
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:26pm
O Shea over Brady or McClean at LWB? 
What are you smoking? £
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm

That's a good shout. And not just the 2 games in June but he's generally played well for Ireland and has developed a knack for scoring in big games (Serbia, Belgium, Scotland), & he's a leader too (Captain at Preston). Oddly he's probably one of our biggest aerial threats after Duffy. He's earned a spot in the starting XI if one can be found either in AM or RWB. And he's match fit right now too.

It would create another problem though. Who replaces Knight & Molumby after they've run themselves into the ground by 70mins? All that's left on the bench is Hendrick & Hourihane. Hendrick is good to go, but Hourihane can't run & can't tackle.
O'Dowda?? Big risk with how injury prone he is.

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

The calls for Duffy and Coleman starting, this is my way of looking at it. All three of Doherty, Duffy and Coleman have played very little from preseason to competitive matches until now. I think we can only get away with starting one of those three due to their lack of match sharpness. Starting 2 or 3 of those players together is a big risk for me. Also I think the first two matches in June showed that starting too many players who are not match fit/sharp can cost us. I think Doherty is the best player we have in his position and has shown before he can perform for Ireland even when he is not playing regularly for the club. Duffy has shown in the past that if he is not playing regularly he doesn't perform that well for Ireland. I just don't know about starting Coleman at RWB again especially not match fit/sharp, if he was going to start I think it would be as the RCB but there are fully fit centre back players who are playing well ahead of him there. So I think Doherty wins out out of the three to start.
I understand the leadership and experience qualities both Duffy and Coleman bring to the Irish team, especially a young team like ours. But you would hope Egan and McClean would take those leadership roles on the pitch.

Spot on. Starting a load of unfit players is asking for a drubbing. Those players gas out early and the rest of the players have to pick up the slack, which in turn drains them faster. Errors start happening and then it's free-fall.
Add Robinson to the list too, he's played very little football this season, missed pre-season and the first 2 games of the season with injury.

As you say, Doherty gets away with it because he has no real competition & because he's proved before he can play well for us while not playing at all at club level.

Duffy, Coleman & Robinson shouldn't be in the starting XI.

Because he's never played LWB before and now is not the time to find out if he can.

I think Ogbene Obafemi might just be too similar with both looking to run in behind. I think it's one of the two with one of Robinson or Parrott. I have plumped for Robinson purely down to his experience and the fact that he like to drop in on the LHS, pick ball up deep and run at defenders. I still dont really know what Parrott does and he aint scoring or assisting atm.

Ah come on. He was our best performing striker across the June window by a distance. Robinson & Ogbene had a poor window, Obafemi was magic in his 50mins vs Scotland but didn't effect the previous 2 games off the bench. Hogan was bright against Scotland but anonymous vs Ukraine.
Parrott put in very solid performances back to back vs Scotland & Ukraine, even vs Armenia he was sharper/fitter than the others. The only real mark against him was the header he should have buried vs Ukraine.

His all round game is very good. Hold up/link up play, work rate out of possession, good attitude, super fit. He's got 4 goals & 2 assists in 603 minutes (6.7 games) for us. He showed in June he's good enough to start most games for us. If he stays fit & playing at club level then he's well on his way to being one of our all time top goal scorers.

Edited by Greenie50 - 22 Sep 2022 at 9:08pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Browne did well at RWB and honestly feel he could be
worth another shift there after his performances in June.

That's
a good shout. And not just the 2 games in June but he's generally
played well for Ireland and has developed a knack for scoring in big
games (Serbia, Belgium, Scotland), & he's a leader too (Captain at Preston). Oddly he's probably one of our
biggest aerial threats after Duffy. He's earned a spot in the starting
XI if one can be found either in AM or RWB. And he's match fit right now
too.

It would create another problem
though. Who replaces Knight & Molumby after they've run themselves
into the ground by 70mins? All that's left on the bench is Hendrick
& Hourihane. Hendrick is good to go, but Hourihane can't run &
can't tackle.
O'Dowda?? Big risk with how injury prone he is.

That was my first thought too and it was an issue back in June too. Brady I wouldn't be surprised if he was used as an option in a midfield three. Depth in midfield is something that needs to be addressed.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

O Shea over Brady or McClean at LWB? 
What are you smoking? �£
If Mc Clean starts at LWB, he'll cost us a goal, bookmark it!

Edited by John Nice - 23 Sep 2022 at 9:07am
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:24am
Pathetic.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:37am
Bazunu Collins Egan O'Shea Cullen Ogbene Moloumby are all defo starters IMO. Ogbene has to start and will. The rest may be up for debate as to how we line up. 
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Pathetic.

What's pathetic? I have serious concerns about Mc Clean at LWB. I think the Scots will target him as a weak link and he was caught out a number of times in the reverse fixture. I'm a fan of Mc Clean's, always have been and I have stood up for him here on more than one occasion. I hope he goes on to get to the 100 cap mark because he deserves it. I just dont think this is the right game for him in a packed Hampden where he will no doubt be the target of sectarian abuse also. With Doherty fit and likely to push on from his RWB berth, I just think we should be looking at a more defensive minded player for the LWB role.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 32>
  Share Topic