You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September
    Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:32am
Scotland have named their squad this morning. Usual story with them, very strong in central midfield and at left wing back, even without the injured Robertson. But weak looking in goal and at centre back, and Che Adams has yet to impress for them up front, though he's clearly a capable player.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Jon McLaughlin

Defenders: Grant Hanley, Jack Hendry, Aaron Hickey, Scott McKenna, Nathan Patterson, Ryan Porteous, Anthony Ralston, Kieran Tierney, Greg Taylor

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Scott McTominay, David Turnbull

Forwards: Che Adams, Jacob Brown, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser

Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:51am
Our squad to be announced on Thursday and can't see many changes from June bar the obvious:

Brady and O'Dowda in, and leave out Hamilton, Ebosele, Christie and maybe Stevens if not fit (last squad was 27, expect this to be smaller).  Lenihan could see himself left out too if Omobamidele is recalled, which seems likely.
Hourihane to retain his place due to lack of alternatives (just struck me - Sykes maybe?), but stuck in L1, his days should be numbered.
Nobody called up from the 21's.

Anyone else?

Edited by Fozz - 13 Sep 2022 at 10:53am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:03am
Sykes is playing in the Championships now.

He might be an outside bet.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Our squad to be announced on Thursday and can't see many changes from June bar the obvious:

Brady and O'Dowda in, and leave out Hamilton, Ebosele, Christie and maybe Stevens if not fit (last squad was 27, expect this to be smaller).  Lenihan could see himself left out too if Omobamidele is recalled, which seems likely.
Hourihane to retain his place due to lack of alternatives (just struck me - Sykes maybe?), but stuck in L1, his days should be numbered.

Anyone else?

Lenihan is injured anyway so won't be in contention, likewise with Stevens I think.

O'Dowda is a major doubt trough injury also.

Brady should be back in, wouldn't be surprised to see him get game time over the 2 games, deserves it on form
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:09am
Maybe something like:

Bazunu Travers O'Leary
Egan Duffy Collins Omobamidele O'Shea
Doherty Coleman McClean Brady Manning
Cullen Molumby Hendrick Browne Hourihane Knight Sykes
Parrott Obafemi Ogbene Robinson O'Dowda Keane/Hogan

I don't see any surprise additions, I don't think anyone in the Under 21s has done enough to get a senior call up this time around.

In terms of the starting team it will be Bazunu for the injured Kelleher presumably and Doherty for Browne at right back. And then a decision to be made on the third centre back alongside Collins and Egan (one of Duffy, O'Shea or Omobamidele). 

Other than that just keep the team the same, I'd go with the same three in centre mid as the home game and try and win the physical battle again there. I'd fancy any of Parrott, Obafemi or Ogbene against their centre backs and Gordon so maybe start the same two as last time and if it's not working bring on Ogbene.

Edited by You Tell Me - 13 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
Only two games I doubt there will be 27 players called up.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Anyone else?

Lenihan is injured anyway so won't be in contention, likewise with Stevens I think.

Brady should be back in, wouldn't be surprised to see him get game time over the 2 games, deserves it on form

Starting tonight LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:23pm
Given that it's O'Dowda I'd still rate him as a major doubt to make it to the Scotland game without getting injured again.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Anyone else?

Starting tonight LOL
Surprising because Cardiff themselves said he was a major doubt for tonight & the weekend.

Scores early on too

Edited by wanderer - 13 Sep 2022 at 7:51pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:34pm
If him and Brady are both fit I only see one of them getting called up and that would be Brady.

Forget that as he scores tonight after four minutes with the assist from Callum Robinson. Not sure if Robinson is playing LW or CF.

Edited by J89 - 13 Sep 2022 at 7:58pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:59pm
Under 21 management will get first preference regarding the eligible players

Outside of that group any new caps for the seniors? Anyone we need 'capped ASAP ? 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:14pm
Mark Sykes could get a call up but not sure if he'd see any minutes though CJ Hamilton was capped in June so never know.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

If him and Brady are both fit I only see one of them getting called up and that would be Brady.

Forget that as he scores tonight after four minutes with the assist from Callum Robinson. Not sure if Robinson is playing LW or CF.

Kenny loves the pair of them, was only name checking them last week. Can see both being called up if fit and available. I know they currently play the same position at their clubs but early on when we played 4-3-3 he had them both playing the left and right of the front 3.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:47pm
Can't say many of our players are going into these games with any sort of form..

Collins, omobamidele and oshea maybe the exceptions.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Can't say many of our players are going into these games with any sort of form..

In all honesty, it's the same with us. Patterson, McGregor, Taylor and Hickey are our only players currently on form.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:56am

I think the goalkeeper and defence will be fine anyway. Bazunu has been mostly good and now playing at a much higher level, all the centre back options other than Duffy have been playing well, Duffy just hasn't been playing and maybe won't play for us as a result. McClean looks in good form so it's just Doherty on the right that's the concern, would be good to see him get minutes this weekend.

Cullen sitting in front of them has been good also and I wouldn't have any major concerns about Knight or Molumby.

The big issue looks to be up front, the two lads that won it for us in June just aren't playing well and the Obafemi situation in particular is a big concern. Maybe need to look at starting Ogbene now if Obafemi isn't going to play for Swansea this side of the international window. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:05am
While the Parrott Obafemi partnership looked good, I dont think he can leave Ogbene out given current form (and previous for Ireland). In fact if Robinson starts and plays well in the next couple of games and Parrott and Obafemi's form/situation dont improve, there's a fair argument to be made that it should be a CR7/Dozie partnership up front.

As for the rest

GK - Baz
CB - Egan, Collins plus any one from 3 (Omobamidele/O'Shea/Duffy), likely O'Shea based on form/seniority, but Duffy is always a goal threat especially against a dodgy enough Scottish defence. Big call for Kenny here - I'd personally lean towards Duffy.
WING BACKS - Has to be Doherty despite a lack of game time and McClean who is in good form - Brady is an outside bet at LWB, but dont think he'll throw him in to this one.
MIDFIELD - Likely to be Cullen. Molumby, Knight due to their previous good showing vs the Scots, although there's a fair argument that Hendrick now playing regularly should start ahead of either L1 RB Knight or Molumby.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:32am

I wouldnt be quite as concerned on that front.

Doherty's lack of minutes is a concern, but at least he's fit. Baz is doing fine after his big move. Plenty of Cbs in form - Duffy the concern there. McClean/Brady/O'Dowda all options at LWB, all playing well and in form.

Cullen doing grand - Molumby and Hendrick in much better positions than they were 12 months ago and starting regularly. Knight playing as a L1 RB is the main concern there.

Up front Obafemi's strop and Parrott's form is a concern, but on the upside Ogbene has taken to the Championship like a duck to water and CR7 is back starting and got 2 assists last night. Idah's ongoing injury issue is unfortunate as he could have offered something different.

I think that for the most part, the squad is in much better shape than it was last season. Doherty/Coleman/Duffy/Knight/Idah, the self induced Obafemi and Parrott are all concerns to varying degrees, but we are not in bad shape overall imo.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
  Share Topic