You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andy Lyons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

does taking the magic airplane to england now put him in contention to make the squad for the national team?

Can't get a start for the 21s so highly doubtful. Blackpool also play four at the back so will be interesting to see how he does at a much higher level playing in a role where he won't have as much attacking freedom to get forward like at Rovers.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:06pm

does taking the magic airplane to england now put him in contention to make the squad for the national team?

He's behind Doherty, Coleman, Christie, McNamara and probably an out of position Alan Browne at a minimum for the RWB position as things stand and unless he does exceptionally well at Blackpool he's unlikely to overtake enough of them that he'd get into a senior squad any time soon. Would think he'll just be focusing on trying to get game time at Blackpool when he joins after Christmas - he's miles off our senior squad.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Aug 2022 at 12:06pm
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's a shocking low figure if you ask me.

Yeah yeah yeah 
It won't change till most LOI player moves to that level stop failing like 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

All have failed to impact in that division 

O'Connor from Cork was similar profile, similar achievements & sank without trace 

So what's shocking   ?  Exactly  ? 

Who is the other O'Connor.
Funnily I watched Kevin live on TV the other night in the cup LOL
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

O'Connor from Cork was similar profile, similar achievements & sank without trace 

Paudie O'Connor, joined Leeds from Limerick FC.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

I was thinking Darragh O'Connor. Tbh though calling either of them a failure would be idiotic as well anyway (considering Paudie is doing well in L1, and Darragh only went over as an academy player to Leicester).
We're decent enough..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:50pm
Anyone who's watched Rovers even semi regularly will know how good Lyons is. He's gonna have played (baring injury/suspension) 14 odd European games before the winter break. That'll set him up nicely to challenge for a first team place with Blackpool
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He's behind Doherty, Coleman, Christie, McNamara and probably an out of position Alan Browne at a minimum for the RWB position as things stand and unless he does exceptionally well at Blackpool he's unlikely to overtake enough of them that he'd get into a senior squad any time soon. Would think he'll just be focusing on trying to get game time at Blackpool when he joins after Christmas - he's miles off our senior squad.

To be fair if he hits the ground running and starts regularly for Blackpool in the Championship post Christmas, then he shouldnt be miles off making a squad come next summer, that's obviously a big if though - Coleman probably only has a season left in him and I cant see him lasting the Euro campaign and neither Christie who has got plenty of caps (30) without ever convincing or McNamara are world beaters. Tbh he probably has as much competition coming from behind in the shape of Ebosele, Abankwah, Adaramola.
Idah Dream!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

I was thinking Darragh O'Connor. Tbh though calling either of them a failure would be idiotic as well anyway (considering Paudie is doing well in L1, and Darragh only went over as an academy player to Leicester).
Am I right and saying four off that list were capped when they moved over? Not a bad return.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 2:14pm

Can't get a start for the 21s so highly doubtful. Blackpool also play four at the back so will be interesting to see how he does at a much higher level playing in a role where he won't have as much attacking freedom to get forward like at Rovers.

Yeah I noticed that. He's doing business as an attacking wing-back, and getting the move based on those performances. On the face of it it doesn't look like a good footballing move, unless Blackpool are switching to 3 at the back, but surely they would have done that already.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Yeah I noticed that. He's doing business as an attacking wing-back, and getting the move based on those performances. On the face of it it doesn't look like a good footballing move, unless Blackpool are switching to 3 at the back, but surely they would have done that already.

I'm sure they have done their due diligence. Don't think moving back to fullback will be an issue as think think he is capable of playing in the Championship although may take him sometime to settle.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I'm sure they have done their due diligence. Don't think moving back to fullback will be an issue as think think he is capable of playing in the Championship although may take him sometime to settle.

You would certainly hope a Championship club would do their homework, but then you remember Spurs bought Doherty based on his form as an attacking wingback and tried shoehorning him into RB in a 4.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
£275k plus lowish wages is punt territory for a Championship club. If it works out it's a bargain, if not then no harm done (except possibly to the player, but he'll have made a few quid). I'm not sure how much thought the club will have put into something like whether he's a better wing back or a full back, he'll have been scouted, looked good based on recent form and signed on that basis.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:27pm

£275k plus lowish wages is punt territory for a Championship club. If it works out it's a bargain, if not then no harm done (except possibly to the player, but he'll have made a few quid). I'm not sure how much thought the club will have put into something like whether he's a better wing back or a full back, he'll have been scouted, looked good based on recent form and signed on that basis.

They're looking for a Seamus Coleman effectively.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:42pm

Blackpool are just back in the championship & aren't the biggest club so I doubt they would be paying the guts of 300k on a punt. I'm sure they have been aware of him before this season & I'm sure they have a plan for him for when he joins up in Jan.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Blackpool are just back in the championship & aren't the biggest club so I doubt they would be paying the guts of 300k on a punt. I'm sure they have been aware of him before this season & I'm sure they have a plan for him for when he joins up in Jan.
Im pretty sure he had a trial with them previously and they didn’t sign him. 

Edited by 9fingers - 01 Sep 2022 at 2:53pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:54pm
Moving to WB has been the making of him, 8 goals & 6 assists I think this season, brilliant return for a wing back. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:59pm
Yep, doing really well. Should probably be starting for the U21s ahead of LOC who plays his football as a no6 now. And the U21s should be playing a wingback system, suits the squad better.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Moving to WB has been the making of him, 8 goals & 6 assists I think this season, brilliant return for a wing back. 

Yeah having a great season alright but hard to believe they spent that money to bring a LWB to the club when they don't play wing-backs. His ability to play FB/WB on both sides main reason they bought him IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic