You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andrew Moran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:03am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Apparently had offers from Holland and Germany too but Brighton chose Blackburn due to their possession based style.

Will be fighting it out with Szmodics for a starting spot but can also cover out wide. Likely pushes Gensilen down the pecking order. Think Blackburn see him as a winger rather than a CAM, though he could cover that role if needed.

If they're seeing him as a winger instead of a CAM, I'd be worried. That's the aul chestnut when it comes to number 10 type players. Can't accommodate you in the middle, so let's put you on the wing. I remember Jack Byrne got that a lot when teams would revert to more direct style. You stick them on the wing, and then everyone wonders why they're a bit sh!te Confused 

Apologies if it was unclear but was talking about Gilsenan that they see more as a wide player than someone who plays centrally. Not Moran, though do think he could get minutes out wide but more so as a wide player that cuts back inside to link up with players.

Himself and Szmodics have different styles so will be interesting to see how he gets on at Blackburn. Do wonder if Szmodics could play deeper making room for both players in the midfield trio.

Really cant see Szmodics playing deeper, he needs space to run in to. I'd imagine Moran would/could be more effective deeper than Szmodics, although again, it's not really his game. Szmodics can certainly play wide off either flank though.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:05am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Apparently had offers from Holland and Germany too but Brighton chose Blackburn due to their possession based style.

Will be fighting it out with Szmodics for a starting spot but can also cover out wide. Likely pushes Gensilen down the pecking order. Think Blackburn see him as a winger rather than a CAM, though he could cover that role if needed.

If they're seeing him as a winger instead of a CAM, I'd be worried. That's the aul chestnut when it comes to number 10 type players. Can't accommodate you in the middle, so let's put you on the wing. I remember Jack Byrne got that a lot when teams would revert to more direct style. You stick them on the wing, and then everyone wonders why they're a bit sh!te Confused 

Apologies if it was unclear but was talking about Gilsenan that they see more as a wide player than someone who plays centrally. Not Moran, though do think he could get minutes out wide but more so as a wide player that cuts back inside to link up with players.

Himself and Szmodics have different styles so will be interesting to see how he gets on at Blackburn. Do wonder if Szmodics could play deeper making room for both players in the midfield trio.

Szmodics has played a fair amount of football as a 2nd striker/no.9 as well, so I wouldn't expect he'll lose out in any case.

Yeah, I think they can both be accommodated in the same XI. Szmodics can play as a false 9, a 10 or off either flank. In any case I'm not sure Szmodics is getting capped any time soon having been seemingly overlooked for that training camp in May.
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:12am
I dont see Szmodics getting picked for our squad again. I would much rather see Moran forcing his way into the Blackburn team.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:16am
The news seems to be a mixed bag amongst Blackburn fans as they're crying out for a genuine winger(which Moran may or not be able to play), a CB and a striker. 

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I dont see Szmodics getting picked for our squad again. I would much rather see Moran forcing his way into the Blackburn team.

Why? He's playing well 

Moreso than the likes of Jamie McGrath and Jeff Hendrick anyway, who will no doubt be in future squads
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:31am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

You'd much rather have a player who will be trying to break into a squad rather than a player who is already performing well in that squad?
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:36am
Szmodics has had rotten luck when it comes to Ireland. Injuries at the wrong time and a passport issue.

Finn Azaz has more potential in the long term. Both should be getting called up really.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:37am
Can't rule out Szmodics, Kenny's unlikely to pick him but we could have a different manager by the end of the year who might bring him straight in, you just don't know.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:39am
Blackburn would seem like a good move. Always had a soft spot for them since the 90's. He would have a decent chance of gametime also.
I love beer gardens
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Can't rule out Szmodics, Kenny's unlikely to pick him but we could have a different manager by the end of the year who might bring him straight in, you just don't know.

Why would he be "unlikely to pick him" if he's the only Irish manager to ever f*cking pick him in the first place? Completely illogical thinking.
We're decent enough..
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 12:15pm
Let me clarify, it's not that I dont myself see Szmodics as a good player, I think he's down the list of players in Kenny's eyes and I dont see KENNY picking him for our squads for the upcoming games.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 6:41pm

Why would he be "unlikely to pick him" if he's the only Irish manager to ever f*cking pick him in the first place? Completely illogical thinking.

He wasn't even eligible under any previous manager.

Kenny didn't even have him at that training camp a few months ago. Or else Szmodics turned it down. But either way it would be a surprise if he got a call for any of Kenny's few remaining games.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 6:45pm

Kenny didn't even have him at that training camp a few months ago. Or else Szmodics turned it down. But either way it would be a surprise if he got a call for any of Kenny's few remaining games.

I agree, I'd be surprised if he's selected, then again I dont particularly rate him, dashes around the place with no composure plus he's pushing 28 now.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 6:52pm

He's been eligible since the day he was born, but no manager went after him until Kenny. If people don't like Kenny then fair enough, but there's some amount of simply counterfactual sh*te that gets thrown at him as well.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 7:20pm

He's been eligible since the day he was born, but no manager went after him until Kenny. If people don't like Kenny then fair enough, but there's some amount of simply counterfactual sh*te that gets thrown at him as well.

Weird take to suggest that this is somehow a dig at Kenny. I mean there's plenty to be critical of with the man, but "didn't pick Sammie Szmodics" would be a long long way down that list.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 11:17am
Moran on the bench for Blackburn today.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 11:42am

Alongside Tom Bloxham who has played u17 for us. Moran, Bloxham, Gilsenan and Szmodics all play a pretty similar position
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 11:44am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Alongside Tom Bloxham who has played u17 for us. Moran, Bloxham, Gilsenan and Szmodics all play a pretty similar position

Bloxham a striker, no?
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>
  Share Topic