You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rocco Vata

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 9:45pm
Came on in the 84th minute.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 9:54pm
A few nice touches but not much chance to impress. Forrest probably should have passed to him right at the end, he would have had a free shot from 7 or 8 yards.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 11:33pm
good to see him get on, hopefully he gets a few more games over the course of the year
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 10:44am
Not to rain on this lads parade but is it not a bit suspect that they have just thrown him on like this as he’s attracting a lot of interest here and further afield in Europe from top clubs and is a potential contract renewal issue for Celtic!! 

Not questioning his talent but I’m just seriously cynical with Celtic atm! 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 11:07am
Very possible.

But Celtic have always played young players if they are good enough.  Karamoko Dembélé was 16 when he made his debut played 8 games before a leg break and more injuries followed.

Irish players who sign and are nowhere near good enough is another matter.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 11:53am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Very possible.

But Celtic have always played young players if they are good enough.  Karamoko Dembélé was 16 when he made his debut played 8 games before a leg break and more injuries followed.

Dembele was given a few token appearances and then never heard from again. He's now with Ligue 1 Brest and has made more appearances in 4 months with them than he did in 3 years with Celtic. He's yet another example of a highly talented youngster that Celtic failed to do anything to develop.
We're decent enough..
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Not to rain on this lads parade but is it not a bit suspect that they have just thrown him on like this as he’s attracting a lot of interest here and further afield in Europe from top clubs and is a potential contract renewal issue for Celtic!! 

Tried the same with Doak when they got wind of Liverpool's interest, massive blunder by them there, will the same happen with Rocco, only thing with him is that he comes form a massive Celtic family, not so sure Doak did, whether that made any difference
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Very possible.

Dembele was given a few token appearances and then never heard from again. He's now with Ligue 1 Brest and has made more appearances in 4 months with them than he did in 3 years with Celtic. He's yet another example of a highly talented youngster that Celtic failed to do anything to develop.

This is it! I have noticed a number of Scottish players have gone beyond England into the French and Italian Leagues looking for top flight football this summer! Doig,Dembele,Ferguson,Hendry! It’s gone okay for them in general so far all lads tipping away getting minutes! 

Back to Vata it’s just hard not to be cynical about Celtic atm! 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Dec 2022 at 12:36pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Tried the same with Doak when they got wind of Liverpool's interest, massive blunder by them there, will the same happen with Rocco, only thing with him is that he comes form a massive Celtic family, not so sure Doak did, whether that made any difference

I genuinely hope it does! I just can’t be optimistic about them at Celtic! I do agree Lawal and Vata are better prospects then the Irish  boys gone before them. Looking at Connell for example who would have certainly been ready for bottom half SPL loans! Set him back 3 years and he’s already showing for Barnsley how good he is arguably too good for League 1! 

As for Doak I’m a 100% convinced he wouldn’t have broke through if he stayed at Celtic either! Not that he won’t find it tough at Liverpool! 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:41pm
It's hard to play when you've a broken ankle or on an operating table.

Then again, are your expectations that a 16yo is playing every game every week?

What happened with Callum McGregor and James Forrest? they seem to be young players who were given a chance and played and are still playing.

It comes down to if your good enough you will play.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:52pm

It's hard to play when you've a broken ankle or on an operating table.

Then again, are your expectations that a 16yo is playing every game every week?

What happened with Callum McGregor and James Forrest? they seem to be young players who were given a chance and played and are still playing.

It comes down to if your good enough you will play.

10 and 7 years ago these boys would have broke through! As discussed above even players like Doak and Dembele talented boys who would have had the “homegrown quota” going for them and all saw it best fit to go to Liverpool and Brest English and French top flight teams for football! 

It speaks volumes!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:59pm
Tony Ralston, Stephen Welsh another 2 players who have come through the system in the last couple of years.

Dembele is no loss and he was right to leave as he was not going to play for Celtic as he was not good enough. it will be interesting to see how his career develops.

How many 16/17 year olds are playing for other clubs?

It simply comes down to being good enough. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 1:15pm
this guy clearly has something if he has impressed postecoglou enough to give him a few minutes of league action. hopefully he can stick around the first team in coming months and see more game time. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 1:17pm

Tony Ralston, Stephen Welsh another 2 players who have come through the system in the last couple of years.

Dembele is no loss and he was right to leave as he was not going to play for Celtic as he was not good enough. it will be interesting to see how his career develops.

Ralston has lost his place despite having an excellent season last year (as is the Celtic way, just keep signing more players which pushes the academy players down). Welsh is another who is likely on his way out of the club, did alright when he got a chance but was quickly thrown on the scrapheap when the shiny new signings were made. 

Celtic's current gameplan is to sign in quantity and hope a couple come good, they've no interest whatsoever in development.
We're decent enough..
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 1:41pm
in hope he is set on Ireland and I would hate to see him revert to the jocks 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

in hope he is set on Ireland and I would hate to see him revert to the jocks 

Surely if he had any interest in Scotland, the country he was born and raised in then he'd have chosen them rather than Ireland to play with.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:08pm

Ralston has lost his place despite having an excellent season last year (as is the Celtic way, just keep signing more players which pushes the academy players down). Welsh is another who is likely on his way out of the club, did alright when he got a chance but was quickly thrown on the scrapheap when the shiny new signings were made. 

Celtic's current gameplan is to sign in quantity and hope a couple come good, they've no interest whatsoever in development.

And the goal posts move, again and again.

Celtic are no different from any other club, if they can produce players who can play in the first team they will save millions of pounds. 
In some cases good players come through and make it and in most cases some don't. It really is that simple.

How many league games will Doak play for Liverpool?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:32pm

And the goal posts move, again and again.

Celtic are no different from any other club, if they can produce players who can play in the first team they will save millions of pounds. 
In some cases good players come through and make it and in most cases some don't. It really is that simple.

How many league games will Doak play for Liverpool?

Who's moving anything? The reality is that Celtic's record in actually nurturing young talent rather than just churning through it is appaling.

Every Irish player who has went there has been worse the move - the ones who were clearly never good enough in the first place (ie Afolabi and Coffey) have proven that point subsequent to moving on in their career trajectories. The ones who actually had talent and could have been far better managed by Celtic (ie Okoflex, Connell, and O'Connor) have also proved as much after leaving. O'Connor is a linchpin for Tranmere and has consistently looked like a player with the ability to play at a higher level; Connell has had a very good start to his Barnsley career; and Okoflex almost immediately broke into West Ham's first team squad and is now making regular appearances off the bench for Swansea. Celtic did absolutely nothing to maximise the potential of these players, they basically left them to p*ss around in the reserves and just hope that they would magically become first teamers.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic