You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November Test Matches©®

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Are there Test Matches in Football? Though they were friendly matches?
Rugby have test matches. Football has Nations League. Both PR spins on non-tournament matches. 
Sponsored Links

KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Are there Test Matches in Football? Though they were friendly matches?
Rugby have test matches. Football has Nations League. Both PR spins on non-tournament matches. 

Test series are much older than the RWC. Not sure it was a PR spin for a tournament that wouldn't exist for about 100 years apart the first test match.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 9:20pm
Genuinely open to correction here, but isnt the idea of "test" matches born from the fact that there is very little competition relative to soccer. Especially if you go back 30 years ago before more professionalism entered rugby.

So you play a six Nations every year and a world cup every 4 years (that you dont even have to qualify for)? I do get the reason that test matches have been seen as competitive, but let's be honest, it's a collective state of mind to make them competitive.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Genuinely open to correction here, but isnt the idea of "test" matches born from the fact that there is very little competition relative to soccer. Especially if you go back 30 years ago before more professionalism entered rugby.

So you play a six Nations every year and a world cup every 4 years (that you dont even have to qualify for)? I do get the reason that test matches have been seen as competitive, but let's be honest, it's a collective state of mind to make them competitive.

A bit like the Nations League.

Micky mouse "tournament designed purley " to give friendlies more of a competitive edge while making sure theres a safety net for the big Nations to not miss out qualifying for the Euros and World Cup.

The rugby team winning this test series would be equivalent to us winning that Carling Nations Cup if England had been included. Something we'd obviously take a bit of joy from but the Brits wouldnt give a sh*te about.

Edited by Bandwagon - 17 Jul 2022 at 9:38pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 10:07pm
Given that there's a bit of a meltdown taking place among the NZ sporting public after the series and the coach is on the verge of the sack I'm not sure that's the best comparison.

I don't think you can directly compare football and rugby or the competition systems they operate - they're just too different. Better to just enjoy either or both for what they are, or ignore one if you don't enjoy following it.

For what it's worth rugby has a major issue relating to concussion and early onset dementia bubbling just under the surface and I wouldn't be surprised if the game is almost unrecognisable in 10 or 20 years time compared to what we watch today. That's much less of an issue in football thankfully.

Edited by You Tell Me - 17 Jul 2022 at 10:09pm
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

A bit like the Nations League.

Micky mouse "tournament designed purley " to give friendlies more of a competitive edge while making sure theres a safety net for the big Nations to not miss out qualifying for the Euros and World Cup.

The rugby team winning this test series would be equivalent to us winning that Carling Nations Cup if England had been included. Something we'd obviously take a bit of joy from but the Brits wouldnt give a sh*te about.

But only if the Carling Nations Cup was a regular tournament they we didn't conpete in every time, that England dominated and we were one of a miniscule few who managed to beat them. 

And if "wouldn't give a sh*te about" meant widespread anger from their fans and possibly sacking their manager.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Any news on who we will be playing in the November test matches?

Hopefully Brazil, so if we beat them it would be the biggest moment in Irish sports since...well, Romania 1990 (or yesterday, if you were to believe the hype).

LOL
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Given that there's a bit of a meltdown taking place among the NZ sporting public after the series and the coach is on the verge of the sack I'm not sure that's the best comparison.

I don't think you can directly compare football and rugby or the competition systems they operate - they're just too different. Better to just enjoy either or both for what they are, or ignore one if you don't enjoy following it.

For what it's worth rugby has a major issue relating to concussion and early onset dementia bubbling just under the surface and I wouldn't be surprised if the game is almost unrecognisable in 10 or 20 years time compared to what we watch today. That's much less of an issue in football thankfully.

New book out the other week called The Beautiful Game and the Ugly Truth looking at the growing evidence of a link between playing professional football and dementia.  

Edited by BrenC - 17 Jul 2022 at 11:05pm
Team Emmet
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:41am
So..... do we have a game in November or what?
The dark side.. And the light
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:00am
I don't think there will be November games as most leagues finish up on 12/13th November and the World Cup starts on 21st so unless teams play 1 friendly during the midweek I doubt there will be 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:14am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I don't think there will be November games as most leagues finish up on 12/13th November and the World Cup starts on 21st so unless teams play 1 friendly during the midweek I doubt there will be 

So is September (end of NL) the only International window left this year?

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:27am
Well there's a November home game on the season ticket anyway and from what I've heard there will be an away fixture as well. Sure all the qualified teams will want a warm up game or two.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:36am
There might be games for non qualified teams , so yeah perhaps Italy might fancy a game. But as I said there is 1 week between majority of the leagues finishing up and the World Cup starting so unless they play midweek games there isn't much room
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:47am
don't brazil charge a fairly hefty appearance fee? can't see the fai with the means to stump up for a home game against brazil. perhaps some promoter may arrange it for london but i doubt it'll happen.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:48am
There is a home and away friendly, sorry test match in November.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

There might be games for non qualified teams , so yeah perhaps Italy might fancy a game. But as I said there is 1 week between majority of the leagues finishing up and the World Cup starting so unless they play midweek games there isn't much room

Can't see the qualified teams wanting to play friendlies with that short turn around. They'd surely wanna get over to Qatar asap and get settled in.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:30pm
Only 13 European teams have qualified for the World Cup so presumably there will be plenty of options for friendlies among the other 40 or so that haven't qualified. The likes of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Czechs, Slovakia and Austria could all be options that don't involve too much travel.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Only 13 European teams have qualified for the World Cup so presumably there will be plenty of options for friendlies among the other 40 or so that haven't qualified. The likes of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Czechs, Slovakia and Austria could all be options that don't involve too much travel.

Sick and tired of Slovakia. Norway would be an interesting test for our young defenders up against two beasts in Haaland and Sorloth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic