You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick Lynch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think if politicians in general started trying it it might stick. To the discerning centrist it will look ridiculous, but the rest will just applaud to the extent it suits their tribalism.
You seem to have a problem with him/his style 

I’m not sure how I feel about a “love in” for this sort of approach to discourse. I acknowledge that it has been effective.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:13pm

I think if politicians in general started trying it it might stick. To the discerning centrist it will look ridiculous, but the rest will just applaud to the extent it suits their tribalism.

I’m not sure how I feel about a “love in” for this sort of approach to discourse. I acknowledge that it has been effective.
So remaining calm, avoiding hyperbole & sticking to facts during debates should be frowned upon? 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:14pm
Or is it what he is saying and what he represents that “centrists” have a problem with 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:17pm

So remaining calm, avoiding hyperbole & sticking to facts during debates should be frowned upon? 

I never said that at all. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:21pm

I never said that at all. 
“To the discerning centrist it will look ridiculous” 

So explain to me, why relying on facts, remaining calm in the face of ridiculousness would look ridiculous 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:24pm
My point was clearly about politicians employing the same techniques going forward by passing on questions by suggesting they are ridiculous. Like I said, it’s an effective strategy. I know the term centrist upsets people in these parts, but not specifically in this case, if politicians try a similar approach (and I’m not talking about Lynch’s sensible habit of keeping a very firm line on basic facts. 

Edited by Het-field - 23 Jun 2022 at 1:25pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:36pm

My point was clearly about politicians employing the same techniques going forward by passing on questions by suggesting they are ridiculous. Like I said, it’s an effective strategy. I know the term centrist upsets people in these parts, but not specifically in this case, if politicians try a similar approach (and I’m not talking about Lynch’s sensible habit of keeping a very firm line on basic facts. 
But if a question is ridiculous, should it not be pointed out as such?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:39pm
Maybe. But it opens a Pandora’s box about what is a ‘ridiculous question.’ I’m certainly not suggesting that Mick Lynch should indulge the usual “line of enquiry” that has been thrown at him, at all. And he has every right to bite back. But my point is more how that approach will be used by politicians. Not a reason not to use it, but still something to consider.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:44pm

Maybe. But it opens a Pandora’s box about what is a ‘ridiculous question.’ I’m certainly not suggesting that Mick Lynch should indulge the usual “line of enquiry” that has been thrown at him, at all. And he has every right to bite back. But my point is more how that approach will be used by politicians. Not a reason not to use it, but still something to consider.

I’m struggling to follow you here, maybe it’s just me but “biting back” with facts is a problem in politics when faced with a ridiculous line of questioning, even if those watching agree with you, it should be avoided. Because of centrists. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:46pm
Fundamentally my point is not about Mick Lynch.
More Anne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote More Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:51pm
Lynch's style is not feigned in any way. It comes from his confidence in being completely on top of his brief. He knows what he's talking about and is able to bat away any nonsense he is faced with by rebuttal with facts and context.

Politicians cannot do this because they are generalists, and when you see a politician being interviewed, they are usually spouting a bunch of pre-rehearsed soundbytes. 

Multiply that x 100 when it's a Tory, because Tory government is inherently based in bullsh*t. They have no other strategy. They just aren't quite as shameless at it as the Republicans in the US, who have constructed an entire world of make believe where they just shout flat earth theories.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:52pm
I'm with 9 fingers here, I really can't grasp what you are trying to say Hetfield, makes no sense at all.
Chips don't bounce
More Anne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote More Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:02pm
Another reason Lynch has become a sensation is because for years everybody who wants to see some form of even mild social democratic progress has been ground down into despair because our representatives and the very idea of even mild social democratic progress in society are constantly on the back foot because of horrible bad faith attacks by horrible right-wing media and politicians who represent awful policy and awful values - greed, corruption, shamelessness, lies.

Lynch has gone on the attack against them. And he has done it with facts, while remaining polite. He has exposed how utterly ridiculous they are.

And yes, it is exhilarating in a tribal sense to see this in action. You can't help but want Lynch to nail these bastards, to humiliate them in public, to make them squirm like rats in a trap.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:03pm
Judging from some of Het-field's previous posts he has an issue with him due to his politics. Anything left or left of centre seem to be a no, no for him. 

Shame really. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Judging from some of Het-field's previous posts he has an issue with him due to his politics. Anything left or left of centre seem to be a no, no for him. 

Shame really. 

That’s not true.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:23pm
the truth is that people like Mick Lynch make you afraid and you don’t like the style he uses for that very reason.  

What’s great about him is that he not a rebel rouser and is seen as a centrist within the union itself.  He believes in old school labour values and is able to articulate the points politely and effectively.  The reason he has become so
Popular is more the cause of the interviewers who have asked some crazy questions as they have been brainwashed to think unions are dangerous and should be attacked and ridiculed at every opportunity.  He has responded brilliantly to it but it can’t just be learned off by a politician who thinks it’s a good strategy. 

AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:24pm

Shame really. 

That’s not true.

That's like something Mick Lynch would say
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Shame really. 

That’s not true.

That's like something Mick Lynch would say

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic