You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 69>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:22pm
A lot going on tonight but Sweden are 1-0 down at home to Slovenia unfortunately. Not great news in terms of our playoff hopes.
Sponsored Links

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A lot going on tonight but Sweden are 1-0 down at home to Slovenia unfortunately. Not great news in terms of our playoff hopes.
1-1 now
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:39pm
what does the playoff position look like now?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:40pm
No favour from Sweden tonight. We are ranked 26th in the Nations League. Potentially right on the edge in terms of a playoff place - could go either way.

To get a playoff place we need no more than two of the following teams to qualify automatically:

Sweden
Romania 
Greece
Turkey
Slovakia
Iceland 
North Macedonia
Montenegro
Georgia
Bulgaria
Kazakhstan
+ all the minnows that likely have no chance.

If three or more of these teams qualify automatically then we don't get a playoff.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Sep 2022 at 9:43pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:04pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying

Pots here shall throw up properly later, or if someone not travelling home from match can do it

Poland, Israel, faroes, Malta san marino the dream 

Group of death Spain France, Turkey, Slovakia

Of course there be the possibility of Denmark, Wales, Georgia, North Ireland
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Pots here shall throw up properly later, or if someone not travelling home from match can do it

Someone just walked over my grave 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:15pm

would prefer the group of death than the last one.

But there may not be any group of deaths. We’ll end up in a group with a glimmer of hope and end up in the playoffs lamenting  drawing away to someone like Bulgaria. The 3/4 teams above and below us in the ranking are who we’re likely to be playing in the playoffs and there all about the same as us. Some strengths but too many weaknesses to be good enough to qualify directly. Look at where Slovakia are now. Pot 5 with OWC. 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:34pm
I don't agree with this excessive travel restriction, particularly for Kazakhstan - they knew what they were  signing up for!

The following restrictions will be applied with computer assistance:[7]

• Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Armenia / AzerbaijanBelarus / UkraineGibraltar / SpainKosovo / Bosnia and HerzegovinaKosovo / Serbia.
  • Winter venues: A maximum of two teams whose venues were identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway.
  • Excessive travel: A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
    • Azerbaijan: with Gibraltar, Iceland, Portugal.
    • Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.
    • Kazakhstan: with Andorra, England, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.
TheBigFella32 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBigFella32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:03pm
Kazakhstan have half the confederation with excessive travel so! Pity Sweden drew tonight, we’d be a lot more comfortable with 25th for a playoff I think. 
TheBigFella32 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBigFella32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:04pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:13pm
It dosent matter who we draw, its not about results or qualification is it, its about building for the future.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:36am
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

I don't agree with this excessive travel restriction, particularly for Kazakhstan - they knew what they were  signing up for!

• Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Armenia / AzerbaijanBelarus / UkraineGibraltar / SpainKosovo / Bosnia and HerzegovinaKosovo / Serbia.
  • Winter venues: A maximum of two teams whose venues were identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway.
  • Excessive travel: A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
    • Kazakhstan: with Andorra, England, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

From a footballing point of view, I think we have to hope to draw Kazakhstan as (1) they are weaker than Georgia, Turkey and Greece in pot 4, and (2) it would avoid drawing any of Spain and Portugal from pot 1 and more importantly avoid drawing France or England from pot 2. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:30am
So in full glory
Pot 1 : 
Netherlands, Croatia, Spain, Italy,Denmark,Portugal,Belgium,Hungary,Switzerland,Poland
Pot 2:
France,Austria,Czech Rep,England,Wales,Israel,Bosnia,Serbia,Scotland,Finland
Pot 3:
Ukraine,Iceland,Norway,Slovenia,EIRE,Albania,Montenegro,Romania,Sweden,Armenia
Pot 4:
Georgia,Greece,Turkey,Kazakhstan,Luxembourg,Azerbaijan,Kosovo,Bulgaria,Faroe Islands,N.Macedonia
Pot 5:
Slovakia,N. Ireland,Cyprus,Belarus,Lithuania,Gibraltar,Estonia,Latvia,Moldova,Malta
Pot 6 :
Andorra,San Marino, Lichtenstein

The following restrictions will be applied with computer assistance:

Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Armenia / Azerbaijan, Belarus / Ukraine, Gibraltar / Spain, Kosovo / Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo / Serbia.

Winter venues: A maximum of two teams whose venues were identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway.

Excessive travel: A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
Azerbaijan: with Gibraltar, Iceland, Portugal.
Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.
Kazakhstan: with Andorra, England, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

As previously stated I think best case would be
  • Hungary or Poland from Pot 1
  • tbh from Pot 2 anyone but England,France or Wales we'd give a game on our day Israel or Bosnia would probably be my preference
  • Pot 3- We be in
  • Pot 4- definitely a few to avoid there Turkey being the main one (as you never know with them 1) where they'll play the game 2) How they'll actually play), Faroes probably the pick but a potential chance to knock another of the played list in Kosovo (would be a great trip)
  • Pot 5- Avoid the first 4 teams and you'd be happy enough 
  • Pot 6- Don't think it really matters who we get from here we SHOULD be beating all 3 of them.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

From a footballing point of view, I think we have to hope to draw Kazakhstan as (1) they are weaker than Georgia, Turkey and Greece in pot 4, and (2) it would avoid drawing any of Spain and Portugal from pot 1 and more importantly avoid drawing France or England from pot 2. 

Just to point out it starts with Pot 1 and then goes to Pot 2,3,4,5,6 

We'll already be drawn before Kazakhstan come out so no luck there.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:45am

So in full glory
Pot 1 : 
Netherlands, Croatia, Spain, Italy,Denmark,Portugal,Belgium,Hungary,Switzerland,Poland
Pot 2:
Pot 3:
Pot 4:
Georgia,Greece,Turkey,Kazakhstan,Luxembourg,Azerbaijan,Kosovo,Bulgaria,Faroe Islands,N.Macedonia
Pot 5:
Slovakia,N. Ireland,Cyprus,Belarus,Lithuania,Gibraltar,Estonia,Latvia,Moldova,Malta
Pot 6 :

Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Armenia / Azerbaijan, Belarus / Ukraine, Gibraltar / Spain, Kosovo / Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo / Serbia.

Winter venues: A maximum of two teams whose venues were identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway.

Excessive travel: A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
Kazakhstan: with Andorra, England, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

• tbh from Pot 2 anyone but England,France or Wales we'd give a game on our day Israel or Bosnia would probably be my preference
  • Pot 3- We be in
  • Pot 4- definitely a few to avoid there Turkey being the main one (as you never know with them 1) where they'll play the game 2) How they'll actually play), Faroes probably the pick but a potential chance to knock another of the played list in Kosovo (would be a great trip)
  • Pot 6- Don't think it really matters who we get from here we SHOULD be beating all 3 of them.

I watched Kosovo against the North, a game they inexplicably lost, but from a footballing pov, I wouldnt like them at all, they look pretty decent. Agree with pretty much all of the rest. 

There are a couple of other Pot 1 teams that we should be able to give a game also, Swiss, Danes. Even the Portugese werent particularly impressive vs us last time around - still think that ref's display was unforgivable.

Obviously need to avoid Eng/Fra from Pot 2, would like to avoid Serbia also

Pot 4 - Dont want Turkey/Greece and would be particulalry wary of Georgia/Kosovo

Pot 5 - Agree first 3 or 4 listed there are best avoided

Pot 6 - Fodder, woudlnt mind Germany as the non-competing 6th team in our group if things fell that way. Couple of good friendlies and would help bring the younger lads on.
Idah Dream!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

So in full glory
Pot 1 : 
Pot 2:
Pot 3:
Pot 4:
Pot 5:
Pot 6 :

• Pot 3- We be in

I watched Kosovo against the North, a game they inexplicably lost, but from a footballing pov, I wouldnt like them at all, they look pretty decent. Agree with pretty much all of the rest. 

There are a couple of other Pot 1 teams that we should be able to give a game also, Swiss, Danes. Even the Portugese werent particularly impressive vs us last time around - still think that ref's display was unforgivable.

Obviously need to avoid Eng/Fra from Pot 2, would like to avoid Serbia also

Pot 4 - Dont want Turkey/Greece and would be particulalry wary of Georgia/Kosovo

Pot 5 - Agree first 3 or 4 listed there are best avoided

Pot 6 - Fodder, woudlnt mind Germany as the non-competing 6th team in our group if things fell that way. Couple of good friendlies and would help bring the younger lads on.

Yeah I agree they do seem a decent side, I put them there as one a team we've never played and it would be an interesting away trip.

Would be great to be in a group with Germany alright, I'd imagine that is happening though I haven't seen it publicised 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:08pm
Hun/Pol
Anyone except France/England/Wales
Ireland
Faroes
Malta

If in a six team group much of a muchness  any of the 3

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Hun/Pol
Anyone except France/England/Wales
Ireland
Faroes
Malta

If in a six team group much of a muchness  any of the 3

Throw Germany in there as the non-competing 6th team and I'm sold :)
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 69>
  Share Topic