You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 69>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ridiculous setup from the Dutch last night. As long as we set up with some sensible tactics it should be a very different game on Monday. We'll have to concede possession and territory and cut out the suicidal Kennyball at the back obviously. And close the space around the edge of the penalty area - Molumby needs to be told to stay deep to help Cullen with this. 

Similar to any major team coming to Dublin we need to be set up to shut them down rather than just trying to play our own game like the Dutch tried. Four midfielders (Cullen/Molumby/Knight/Smallbone) with Ferguson as a lone striker looks the obvious approach. Provided we do that it will be fine.

*France put 4 past the world number 6 side*

World number 48 supporter - "oh yeah we'll have no issues at all so long as we cut out that ridiculous passing the ball business" Big smile

France away are generally very different to France at home. 

That said if we set up like the Dutch did they probably will put a load past us. I'm working on the basis that we will be more sensible than them. Couldn't rule anything out with the current management sadly and if we take a heavy beating I'd be 90% certain it will be because they've ballsed up the team setup yet again. That said, I don't actually think that will happen, judging by the Portugal games in the last group there is at least still some sign of pragmatism against the very top teams.

And by "fine" I'm hardly meaning win the game...

I think France will probably score on the night, perhaps one maybe two, so we'll need to score goals ourselves to get something out of the game. Talk of France winning 0-4 or 0-5 seems way OTT though - they're not 'that' good and we're not 'that' bad. We'd have to put in a dreadful shift to lose by that type of score at home.

I’m not sure, we could play well and still ship 4 or 5. Are be better than that depleted Dutch team? I don’t think so.

It's only comparable if we set up the same way they did. Which you've got to hope we won't, that would be lunacy.
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 2:22pm
“France, they’re not that good”

Lads on here need a serious reality check! Just battered the Dutch 4-0 while barely getting out of second gear.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 2:22pm

I’m not sure, we could play well and still ship 4 or 5. Are be better than that depleted Dutch team? I don’t think so.

We drew with Portugal and Serbia at home - I don't think France are 'that' far ahead of those two that they could come here and win 0-4 or 0-5.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

“France, they’re not that good”

Lads on here need a serious reality check! Just battered the Dutch 4-0 while barely getting out of second gear.

Ya that's the thing, they hardly broke sweat and still strolled home. We will have to see how the game pans out but they have the ability to score anytime. If we get to HT and them scoreless we will have done a mighty good job i reckon.
I love beer gardens
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

We drew with Portugal and Serbia at home - I don't think France are 'that' far ahead of those two that they could come here and win 0-4 or 0-5.

Whatever about Portugal, they certainly are that far ahead of Serbia.
We're decent enough..
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm
Funnily enough Serbia really should have beaten us comfortably they were excellent and were the best team in the group. Then were poor in the WC and Portugal were excellent. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 7:51am
Serbia are the side who probably made us look as inferior as we ever have for the first 75/80 minutes of the home game. Played us off the park and we were blessed to be only 1 goal down going into the late stages of that game.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 2:55pm
Thing about thre French you never know which team will turn up . 

We do have a chance and i am sure the fans will back the boys in green from the off . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Corey100 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Thing about thre French you never know which team will turn up . 

We do have a chance and i am sure the fans will back the boys in green from the off . 

All the rumor's about the disarray within the French camp over the captaincy were quickly quashed when they played Holland and absolutely grilled them on Friday night, we just have to play scruffy and don't give France a chance to settle. They have been beaten with relative ease the past few years with Denmark and Croatia being two examples in the nations league, obviously better teams than us but the Danes threw away a 2-0 lead to Kazakhstan to end up 3-2 this afternoon with their managerial post being questioned just to point out.

We'll have to wait and see but I've said on repeat that a draw would be a magnificent result at home. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm
It looks like a lot of results went our way tonight. Decent night!
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:53pm
Dutch only beat a 10 man Gibraltar for most of the 2nd half 3:0

they have some undoubted individual talent but to me look as flaky as ever as a team, we can get at them
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:12pm
Yeah  I'd have expected that Dutch team to win by a lot more tonight if Friday was a blip. 3-0 a poor return when you consider the amount of poession and shots on and off target
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Dutch only beat a 10 man Gibraltar for most of the 2nd half 3:0

they have some undoubted individual talent but to me look as flaky as ever as a team, we can get at them

Yes indeed : they actually have a minus goal difference even after playing against 10 man Gibraltar for 40 minutes. We shouldn't be giving up on second place in this group.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:26pm
Realistically we will prob need to beat the Dutch once and possibly beat Greece twice and hope other results go for us. Still a huge ask but theres hope.
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:41pm
Looking at the group it's all on Greece in June now. The Gibraltar game is meaningless really, we'll get three points but so will everyone else. Next game after that is France away where we'll get nothing again. So, we really have to beat Greece in June now because if we don't we'll be winless from three games against our rivals and out of contention by the time the next batch of games rolls around in September.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:54pm

Looking at the group it's all on Greece in June now. The Gibraltar game is meaningless really, we'll get three points but so will everyone else. Next game after that is France away where we'll get nothing again. So, we really have to beat Greece in June now because if we don't we'll be winless from three games against our rivals and out of contention by the time the next batch of games rolls around in September.

I'm actually glad we play Greece away first. We tend to play better away from home and would be well capable of going there and getting a result.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:55pm

The same Greece who almost never lose at home?

Also, getting 1pt there and beating Gib would be grand.
Assuming we could beat Greece at home and look to challenge the Dutch head-on.
And hoping Greece take something off Holland.

So what I am saying is, we'll be far from out of it after a draw in Athens.

Sorry to add, if we are saying the four games v France and Gibraltar are meaningless then the whole group depends on the 4 versus Greece and Holland.
So how we can be out of contention after just the first of those four is nonsense.

Edited by Fozz - 27 Mar 2023 at 10:57pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:58pm
Playing Greece in that heat on the 16th of June makes no sense.

The EPL finishes on the 28th of May and the Championship finishes the 8th of May. That's a long time without any football being played.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 69>
  Share Topic