You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 69>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:56pm
Frankfurt on 9 October at 12:00 CET.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

We are 100% due the group of death 

Been a long time coming. Belgium & England or Spain & France Ouch

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 26 Sep 2022 at 12:12am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:28am
Croatia and Bosnia if possible please...8
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Yep and depending on how the fixtures are, we could be out of the running after matchday 3 

Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:09am
We did get the worst group in the history of sport for the euro 2012 tournament, we might be still running on the fumes of that disaster. Im genuinely looking forward to it no matter who we get as I think we are slowly moving in the right direction
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:36am
I'm trying to get my head around this, but are we not still likely to get a play off place barring some very unlikely automatic qualifiers (although there are a few behind us in the rankings that could (Sweden, Turkey, maybe Greece)
Idah Dream!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'm trying to get my head around this, but are we not still likely to get a play off place barring some very unlikely automatic qualifiers (although there are a few behind us in the rankings that could (Sweden, Turkey, maybe Greece)

From Wikipedia (which I'd imagine just pulled straight from UEFA website)

Based on the Nations League rankings, the twelve selected teams will be chosen as follows, starting with League C and working up to League A:

1. All available group winners will be selected.
  2. If a group winner has directly qualified through the UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying group stage, then they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team from the same league that has not also directly qualified.
  3. If fewer than four teams from a given league have failed to qualify, then the remaining slots for that league will be allocated as follows:
  • The best-ranked group winner of League D will be selected, unless this team has directly qualified.
  • Remaining slots will be allocated based on the Nations League overall ranking:If the league has a group winner selected for the play-offs, then the next-best team in the overall ranking from a lower league will be selected.
If the league has no group winner available, then the best team in the overall ranking will be selected.

So from my understanding of the above at this current moment

Croatia, Portugal*,Hungary*,Netherlands From League A are guaranteed a playoff spot the only one there you could probably say might fail to be top 2 would Hungary, if Croatia Portugal, Netherlands qualify their playoff spot goes to the best ranked 2nd placed team in League A not yet qualified at present time that would be Denmark, Belgium and Spain (again all 3 of them more than likely would finish top 2) but for argument sake let's say Denmark didn't they'd take one spot the next spot would go down to one of Poland,Switzerland or France(currently 3rd) , again if they have qualified it would go down to the 4th place teams at moment Austria,England,Czech R and Wales , If the first 3 there qualified Wales would take the 3rd spot the 4th spot would then be taken by the best ranked League D winner currently Estonia

So League A playoffs would look something like this

Hungary v Estonia
Wales v Denmark

My understanding is also that if all teams from League A qualified then the playoffs would be
The winners of League D

Estonia, Latvia and then the next two highest ranked teams not qualified who aren't qualified for League B playoffs already, so for argument sake let's say Serbia and Ukraine.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:59am
Also to point out Turkey and Greece have already secured League C playoff spots
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:24pm

There's a lot of unknowns at this point. We'll know a bit more in the next few days. Barring a disastrous loss against Armenia we will be ranked somewhere between 25th and 28th. But there's a big difference between being 25th and being 28th. 25th still gives a decent playoff chance I think. Whoever finishes 27th will need a miracle. 28th can forget it. So there are a load of games over the next few nights not involving us that will have a huge impact. Starting with the two games in the Finland/Romania group tonight.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There's a lot of unknowns at this point. We'll know a bit more in the next few days. Barring a disastrous loss against Armenia we will be ranked somewhere between 25th and 28th. But there's a big difference between being 25th and being 28th. 25th still gives a decent playoff chance I think. Whoever finishes 27th will need a miracle. 28th can forget it. So there are a load of games over the next few nights not involving us that will have a huge impact. Starting with the two games in the Finland/Romania group tonight.

Aye thats what it looked like to me, 25th/26th should get one, while 27th has a chance imo.
Idah Dream!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Yep and depending on how the fixtures are, we could be out of the running after matchday 3 

We could be playing literally anybody and have this be the case. 

Bulgaria away and Finland hone - out of the running.
Serbia away and Luxembourg home - out of the running.
Armenia away and Ukraine reserves home - out of the running.

Literally any set of fixtures has the capability to take us out of the running after 2 games at the moment.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
There is the potential for some awful draws out there.

Need some more luck.
Please God.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

There is the potential for some awful draws out there.

Need some more luck.
Please God.

By my reckoning, looking at the likely final seedings,

We have a 3 in 10 chance of a decent draw from Pot 1
We have a 7 in 10 chance of a decent draw from Pot 2
We have a 8 in 10 chance of a decent draw from Pot 4

The main thing will be to avoid England/France from Pot 2 - 80% chance of doing so, so let's just hope "the luck of the Irish" holds. Of course if we got England/France from Pot 2 but Hungary/Denmark/Switzerland/Czech Republic from Pot 1, we would still have some sort of chance, while acknowledging that the teams in Pot 1 are generally there for a reason.
Idah Dream!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:39pm
when are the fixtures agreed  - within 24/48 hours of the draw ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

when are the fixtures agreed  - within 24/48 hours of the draw ?

Yep would imagine so, usually done by computers now so unless there is any major issues then yeah last few years they've had fixtures either sorted later in the day or within the next day or so
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:13pm

Couple of games with big implications for our playoff hopes currently taking place, Montenegro v Finland and Romania v Bosnia.

A few different combinations of results that would work for us here, but basically we need Finland out of third place in that group - either up to second past Montenegro or down to fourth behind Romania. 

Currently 0-0 in both games which is no help to us.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Couple of games with big implications for our playoff hopes currently taking place, Montenegro v Finland and Romania v Bosnia.

A few different combinations of results that would work for us here, but basically we need Finland out of third place in that group - either up to second past Montenegro or down to fourth behind Romania. 

Currently 0-0 in both games which is no help to us.

Romania winning 1-0 at half time. If Finland were to lose and remain in third we'd be level on points but we'd have the better goal difference. They're ahead of us atm because we must be level on everything so they're using disciplinary record to separate us.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:46pm
If Romania win Finland can't finish third and then we wouldn't have to worry about it so hopefully they can stay in front against Bosnia, who don't really have a huge amount to play for having already won the group. Draws all round is the nightmare outcome here, or a Finland draw coupled with a Bosnia win.

Edited by You Tell Me - 26 Sep 2022 at 8:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 69>
  Share Topic