You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 69>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Just had a look at all the other groups, some average top and second seeds and we manage to get both France and Netherlands LOL 

Ourselves and Ukraine can feel hard done by.

A as no Greece as a 4th seed was rough too.

Whatever tiny chance we have of getting out of the group was helped by us getting Greece. We needed a 4th seed that could conceivably take 2 or even 3 points off one of the big two. Of course we'd need to take 6 points from Greece to get the benefit of that. I realise it's Fantasy Island stuff but I need at least 1% hope at the start of the group.

Cant agree with that Paulie, Greece are exactly the sort of team we will exchange two 1-1s or 0-0s with and then call it a hard earned point and so on. I don't see the Greeks taking points off anyone else bar ourselves and the rock. I also can see them doing us away from home possibly. We are no great shakes, neither are they, but they are in a far more relaxed position in regards to having a playoff than we are, and that will likely play out over the group. We're two very similar sides actually, but I wouldn't be expecting them to give up 3 points like Scotland did last summer

So how would it benefit us in terms of boosting any tiny chance we have of qualifying if we had a weaker 4th seed that we can absolutely guarantee France and Holland would beat home and away? We will not be able to get enough points to qualify just on the basis of our own results. Even if either France or Holland won every fixture in the group the other team of those two would still be able to get enough points to finish 2nd if there was a handy 4th seed. I understand that the chances of us taking 6 points from Greece is very slim but my point is that if we are to have any chance of qualifying we need the 4th seed team to take points from one of the top 2, basically whichever of those 2 is weakest. I do not see how a weaker 4th seed helps us to qualify (however unlikely that scenario might be regardless).

I'd argue neither option benefits it. Look at the 2002 campaign as the template for the only way we are going to succeed here. We need to win at least one match against the big two, avoid losing the other games against them and match or better their results against the rest while having a decent goal difference. If we are relying on Greece to take points of the big two we are already out for the count. 

The only way we're going to be successful here is by having the best campaign since 02 and pulling off numerous shock results that involve other managers losing their jobs over. Kenny needs to go for the jugular now. 
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:05am
Taking maximum points against the lower ranked teams is generally imperative to qualification. If you dont you then set yourself the task of offsetting that by beating/drawing with higher seeds. Sometimes that works. In qualifying for Euro 2016 our poor return against Scotland was offset by our 4 points against Germany. But in order for us to be in contention we cant lose 3 matches in this qualification campaign. Even if we got 4 against Greece, and six against Gibraltar, we will need something off the Top Seeds to ensure we're in contention for qualification.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:07am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The statistics company, Gracenote, have done some analysis on the playoff picture - which as we know is based on the Nations League placings, not the qualification groups. Based on our performance and final position in the Nations League they are now giving us only an 18% chance of making the playoffs. So less than a 1 in 5 chance now of even getting into the playoffs, never mind qualifying from them.

So it's looking like it's all going to be down to our performance in Group B, we've already blown the playoffs most likely.

That’s fairly sobering news if we have a poor start should Kenny get the road or should he be allowed see the campaign out?

These conversations must be going on within the FAI.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:11am
The Dutch have been hit with some sort of virus going through their squad. Players dropping like flies seemly.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The statistics company, Gracenote, have done some analysis on the playoff picture - which as we know is based on the Nations League placings, not the qualification groups. Based on our performance and final position in the Nations League they are now giving us only an 18% chance of making the playoffs. So less than a 1 in 5 chance now of even getting into the playoffs, never mind qualifying from them.

So it's looking like it's all going to be down to our performance in Group B, we've already blown the playoffs most likely.

That’s fairly sobering news if we have a poor start should Kenny get the road or should he be allowed see the campaign out?

These conversations must be going on within the FAI.

I'd imagine they'll leave him in place til the contract runs out but hopefully start looking at potential candidates after we lose the second match, whenever that is doesn't really matter. But changing horses say in June would be a disaster, new manager would be rushed in, unable to qualify and even unable to show a turn around as he will be up against France and the Dutch LOL

The real question is: what are the circumstances where Kenny can keep his job if we don't qualify? Presumably finishing ahead of Greece is a red line for the FAI to show progress, then maybe taking at least one/two/three points from the games against the top 2?

Edited by dangere_here - 23 Mar 2023 at 10:27am
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:57pm

Just had a look at all the other groups, some average top and second seeds and we manage to get both France and Netherlands LOL 

Whatever tiny chance we have of getting out of the group was helped by us getting Greece. We needed a 4th seed that could conceivably take 2 or even 3 points off one of the big two. Of course we'd need to take 6 points from Greece to get the benefit of that. I realise it's Fantasy Island stuff but I need at least 1% hope at the start of the group.

Cant agree with that Paulie, Greece are exactly the sort of team we will exchange two 1-1s or 0-0s with and then call it a hard earned point and so on. I don't see the Greeks taking points off anyone else bar ourselves and the rock. I also can see them doing us away from home possibly. We are no great shakes, neither are they, but they are in a far more relaxed position in regards to having a playoff than we are, and that will likely play out over the group. We're two very similar sides actually, but I wouldn't be expecting them to give up 3 points like Scotland did last summer

The commentator had said that Greece have only lost 1 home qualifier to Spain in the past 3 or 4 years. So you can park that assumption that the Greeks will be giving up 3 points easily to France and Holland. 

Here are their results 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 5:51pm
The Dutch down to bare bones for tomorrow night's game.

Details from AP below:

Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo, Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt and three other Netherlands players have a virus and will miss the Euro 2024 qualifier against France, the Dutch federation said Thursday. 

The Netherlands were already without Barcelona playmaker Frenkie de Jong and winger Steven Bergwijn due to injuries for the match against the World Cup finalists at the Stade de France on Friday. 

They will now also have to do without 23-year-old Gakpo, who has netted four Premier League goals since joining Liverpool in January from PSV Eindhoven after he shone at the World Cup for the Dutch. Gakpo, De Ligt, Newcastle United's Sven Botman, Anderlecht goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen and Joey Veerman from PSV Eindhoven all had to leave the Dutch training camp.

Edited by Maccatacca - 23 Mar 2023 at 5:52pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

The commentator had said that Greece have only lost 1 home qualifier to Spain in the past 3 or 4 years. So you can park that assumption that the Greeks will be giving up 3 points easily to France and Holland. 

Here are their results 

Spain were the only decent team they played since then, they got a good win against Sweden but then drew with Georgia and Kosovo. Plus they dropped points to Liechtenstein, Malta and a few others recently. 

Lets take a look at all their home matches: 

Word Cup qualifiers:

Nations League since 2020

Edited by dangere_here - 23 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Details from AP below:

Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo, Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt and three other Netherlands players have a virus and will miss the Euro 2024 qualifier against France, the Dutch federation said Thursday. 

The Netherlands were already without Barcelona playmaker Frenkie de Jong and winger Steven Bergwijn due to injuries for the match against the World Cup finalists at the Stade de France on Friday. 

They will now also have to do without 23-year-old Gakpo, who has netted four Premier League goals since joining Liverpool in January from PSV Eindhoven after he shone at the World Cup for the Dutch. Gakpo, De Ligt, Newcastle United's Sven Botman, Anderlecht goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen and Joey Veerman from PSV Eindhoven all had to leave the Dutch training camp.

Shame we didn’t start with them at home 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Details from AP below:

Tbf they've been able to bring in Inter Milan and Bayern Munich players as replacements so hardly scrapping the barrel 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Details from AP below:

Tbf they've been able to bring in Inter Milan and Bayern Munich players as replacements so hardly scrapping the barrel 

Yeah but you would have to say that Gakpo, De Ligt and De Jong are probably 3 of their most important players.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:26pm
I have given proper criticism to the team after last nights effort so this isn’t a lowering of standards etc. 

One thing I will say about Latvia is they were in WC Qualification against Holland,Norway and Turkey in the last campaign and got draws away to both Norway and Turkey and didn’t lose by more then 2 goals in any game. 

They are obviously poor but like a lot of minnows are definitely better coached in the modern day and not as bad as one might presume. 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Mar 2023 at 8:28pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I have given proper criticism to the team after last nights effort so this isn’t a lowering of standards etc. 

One thing I will say about Latvia is they were in WC Qualification against Holland,Norway and Turkey in the last campaign and got draws away to both Norway and Turkey and didn’t lose by more then 2 goals in any game. 

They are obviously poor but like a lot of minnows are definitely better coached in the modern day and not as bad as one might presume. 

Touching on our group I hope France get the win tomorrow night. If there is a semblance of a possibility for ourselves and Greece having a cut off the 2nd qualifying spot it definitely lies with the Dutch falling over themselves. 

Norway had things in there hands completely in the WC campaign and made a hash of it in the last 2 games. 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Mar 2023 at 8:31pm
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:00pm
I hope the dutch and the french have a mass brawl tomorrow, 5 red cards, 6 yellows, a french anelka style mutiny against deshamp and some match fixing allegations to follow. Would set us up nicely to scutter a draw.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

I hope the dutch and the french have a mass brawl tomorrow, 5 red cards, 6 yellows, a french anelka style mutiny against deshamp and some match fixing allegations to follow. Would set us up nicely to scutter a draw.

Throw in some player on player blackmail and yer cooking.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:54am

Here are their results 

Spain were the only decent team they played since then, they got a good win against Sweden but then drew with Georgia and Kosovo. Plus they dropped points to Liechtenstein, Malta and a few others recently. 

While it's nothing amazing it's a decent home record. The Greeks will likely get a draw or a win against one of the top three, and we will probably too. I don't see either France or Holland winning all their games against us or Greece. And I don't see either us or Greece getting anywhere near them for the top 2 places. 

But we've a few day yet before that crushing reality begins. So for now I'll enjoy my sliver of yah never know this time it could be different Big smile

It would damage this forums' reputation
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 1:19pm

Here are their results 

While it's nothing amazing it's a decent home record. The Greeks will likely get a draw or a win against one of the top three, and we will probably too. I don't see either France or Holland winning all their games against us or Greece. And I don't see either us or Greece getting anywhere near them for the top 2 places. 

But we've a few day yet before that crushing reality begins. So for now I'll enjoy my sliver of yah never know this time it could be different Big smile

If we avoid defeat in Greece, and lose on Monday, then we'll probably still feel in with a chance come September. It's the two September matches that most likely will have us in tears and Kenny out of a job soon after.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:05pm
Interesting game tonight between the Big Two in the group. Not sure what I'd like to see here, bar a red card or two for the French.

The other interesting one from a play off pov is Sweden home to Belgium, a Belgian win here would be good as Sweden are one of the more likely sides ranked below us to challenge for automatic qualification.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 69>
  Share Topic