Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 69>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Why can’t we play like Costa Rica did today?

Indeed, one shot on target across two games (assisted by a goalkeeping howler) seems to be the template favoured by many.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Indeed, one shot on target across two games (assisted by a goalkeeping howler) seems to be the template favoured by many.
A howler is how we beat Malta, so that is our current template.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

A howler got us the Norway goal too, did it? The overreaction to two friendly results (narrowly losing to a better side than us, and defeating an inferior side) has been nigh on hilarious. They were boring, uninspiring performances, but the apocalyptic commentary is ridiculous.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 5:31pm

A howler got us the Norway goal too, did it? The overreaction to two friendly results (narrowly losing to a better side than us, and defeating an inferior side) has been nigh on hilarious. They were boring, uninspiring performances, but the apocalyptic commentary is ridiculous.
Uninspiring performances are the norm not the exception. Ahh...its only the Nations League...ahh only a friendly ad infinitum. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:03pm

Uninspiring performances are the norm not the exception. Ahh...its only the Nations League...ahh only a friendly ad infinitum. 

Are they yeah? Boring, uninspiring performances against Slovakia, Scotland, Portugal, Belgium, and Serbia, were they? 

The reality is this, we've had struggles breaking down lower ranked sides for as long as anyone can remember. The difference is that nowadays, rather than disgracing ourselves with 30-40% possession and 50% pass completion against inferior sides, we're at least controlling games even if we are playing at too slow a pace at times.

Like in many friendlies, the pace of play against Norway lacked urgency, but against a better side we still had more possession, more passes, a higher pass accuracy, more attempts, more attempts on target, more corners won, etc. We lost the game purely because of 2 individual errors at set pieces. That can be worked on.

So in summary, they were two boring friendlies, but so what? The overreactionary doom and gloom in the wake of it has been pitiful. It's nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to some of the absolute muck we've served up in the past when we quite literally could not pass or control the ball against atrocious sides.

Edited by The O'Shea - 27 Nov 2022 at 6:04pm
We're decent enough..
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:06pm
I'm not sure anyone on this forum ever said "aah sure it's only the nations league" 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:17pm

Are they yeah? Boring, uninspiring performances against Slovakia, Scotland, Portugal, Belgium, and Serbia, were they? 

The reality is this, we've had struggles breaking down lower ranked sides for as long as anyone can remember. The difference is that nowadays, rather than disgracing ourselves with 30-40% possession and 50% pass completion against inferior sides, we're at least controlling games even if we are playing at too slow a pace at times.

Like in many friendlies, the pace of play against Norway lacked urgency, but against a better side we still had more possession, more passes, a higher pass accuracy, more attempts, more attempts on target, more corners won, etc. We lost the game purely because of 2 individual errors at set pieces. That can be worked on.

So in summary, they were two boring friendlies, but so what? The overreactionary doom and gloom in the wake of it has been pitiful. It's nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to some of the absolute muck we've served up in the past when we quite literally could not pass or control the ball against atrocious sides.
Passing the ball sideways and backwards, in our own half is not controlling a game. You have cherry picked 5 out of about 30 matches to I assume suggest that is representative of how we perform under Kenny. But its not, is it? And we won one of them, 20% win rate. Although, as planning has helpfully pointed out, our current win rate is 66%. So, you know, we are in transition! 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:33pm

Passing the ball sideways and backwards, in our own half is not controlling a game. You have cherry picked 5 out of about 30 matches to I assume suggest that is representative of how we perform under Kenny. But its not, is it? And we won one of them, 20% win rate. Although, as planning has helpfully pointed out, our current win rate is 66%. So, you know, we are in transition! 

Yes actually, it is. If you have more possession, more passes, more attempts, and more shots on target, you have control of the game. It might not always be exciting, but it very definitely is "control". It's also a whole lot less horrifying than launching long balls up to a 5'10 striker for 90 minutes against sides ranked 50/60 places lower than us in the world. That's where we are coming from, literally disgracing ourselves with our backwardness. Neither is ideal, but I know what embarrasses me less.
We're decent enough..
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:41pm

Yes actually, it is. If you have more possession, more passes, more attempts, and more shots on target, you have control of the game. It might not always be exciting, but it very definitely is "control". It's also a whole lot less horrifying than launching long balls up to a 5'10 striker for 90 minutes against sides ranked 50/60 places lower than us in the world. That's where we are coming from, literally disgracing ourselves with our backwardness. Neither is ideal, but I know what embarrasses me less.

And yet we qualified for Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 whilst being one home win away from World Cup qualification in 2018 and one home win from Euro 2020 qualification. All whilst apparantly embarrassing ourselves. And you are less embarrassed being out of contention after 2 games in all our competitions under Kenny so far. Strange.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:59pm
People must be very easily embarrassed if they're that embarrassed by possession stats.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

[QUOTE=BrendanD88]Why can’t we play like Costa Rica did today?

And yet we qualified for Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 whilst being one home win away from World Cup qualification in 2018 and one home win from Euro 2020 qualification. All whilst apparantly embarrassing ourselves. And you are less embarrassed being out of contention after 2 games in all our competitions under 

Edited by TooOldForThis - 27 Nov 2022 at 8:00pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:24pm

And yet we qualified for Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 whilst being one home win away from World Cup qualification in 2018 and one home win from Euro 2020 qualification. All whilst apparantly embarrassing ourselves. And you are less embarrassed being out of contention after 2 games in all our competitions under 

We have qualified for two tournaments in 20 years, and at one of them we gave a record breaking bad account of ourselves. I wouldn't exactly call that a roaring success when you're playing a style of football that is explicitly "only concerned with the end result", would you? 

We were a laughing stock for our style of play, with the cliched "tough, spirited, British-style" of play trotted out by virtually every opposition team. What was worse than that was that they weren't wrong, we had a team of EPL footballers who suddenly became comically inept at performing the most basic football skills when they pulled on a green jersey.

At the moment, we have an inferior group of players who are giving a mix of good performances against big sides, and underwhelming performances against weaker sides that we have always had difficulty with. What has definitely changed is that we're no longer stinking the place out with retrograde, backward football. We play like everyone else does, and although we might not always get it right, we're no longer standing out as the village idiots of European football. That's a start on getting where we need to.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:33pm

[QUOTE=The O'Shea][QUOTE=BrendanD88]Why can’t we play like Costa Rica did today?

We have qualified for two tournaments in 20 years, and at one of them we gave a record breaking bad account of ourselves. I wouldn't exactly call that a roaring success when you're playing a style of football that is explicitly "only concerned with the end result", would you? 

We were a laughing stock for our style of play, with the cliched "tough, spirited, British-style" of play trotted out by virtually every opposition team. What was worse than that was that they weren't wrong, we had a team of EPL footballers who suddenly became comically inept at performing the most basic football skills when they pulled on a green jersey.

At the moment, we have an inferior group of players who are giving a mix of good performances against big sides, and underwhelming performances against weaker sides that we have always had difficulty with. What has definitely changed is that we're no longer stinking the place out with retrograde, backward football. We play like everyone else does, and although we might not always get it right, we're no longer standing out as the village idiots of European football. That's a start on getting where we need to.
[/QUOTE
I don't think there is any degree of confidence, anywhere, that SK has the wherewithal to get us challenging for qualifying for finals. When we play possession based football like everyone else, the problem is everyone else is better at it than us. We have no USP.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:37pm

Thats the whole point that we play like everyone else does...we were most successful when we were the outlier and didn't play like everyone else.We are like a championship team trying to outplay Champions League teams, will never ever be successful.What do you want ? To give us our best chance of qualifying or play pretty possession football in our own half with no threat ? And so what if we stink the place out with a style that doesn't pamper to the purest belief how the game should be played. We have to create a culture where opponents are nervous coming to Dublin knowing they face 90 minutes of pressure and organised chaos.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:41pm

[QUOTE=The O'Shea][QUOTE=BrendanD88]Why can’t we play like Costa Rica did today?

[/QUOTE
I don't think there is any degree of confidence, anywhere, that SK has the wherewithal to get us challenging for qualifying for finals. When we play possession based football like everyone else, the problem is everyone else is better at it than us. We have no USP.

Our previous "USP" was not working, so we had to try something different. We are 20/25 years behind the curve in terms of actually playing possession based football, so obviously this will take time to come good. There have been ample signs that it works for us when playing superior sides, what we need to improve is being more incisive and having more urgency against weak sides who pack the defence.

There simply is no alternative, we have to join the rest of the world in playing possession based football, going back is to how we played in the past is not an option. The only argument is whether Kenny is the right person to implement this change or not, and at the moment I don't believe there is any better option we can afford.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:52pm
This constant nonsensical argument that there are somehow only two kinds of football - Kennyball or Hoofball - is getting pretty tiresome at this stage.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

This constant nonsensical argument that there are somehow only two kinds of football - Kennyball or Hoofball - is getting pretty tiresome at this stage.
I really can't believe that this is a genuine belief, certainly by some of the more thoughtful SK supporters, so there must be some other reason for the incessant pushing of this narrative.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No one said "Kennyball" or "hoofball", it's a choice between possession based football and longball football. There are different forms of possession based football - you can be a quick-passing counter-attacking side, you can be a slow-building "death by a thousand cuts" side, you can be a pass-and-move side, etc. It has to be one of those though. There is only one way to play how Ireland did previously, it's to launch long balls towards the striker/the channels and bypass the midfield. Currently, our best striker is a technical, 5'7 attacker - even if we wanted to, it would be pointless launching long balls up to him. It amazes me that some people just can't let go of something that has been discarded by basically everyone else since the 90's.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 69>
  Share Topic