You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 69>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:26pm
Only put out by the World Champions too! 

As for the “Dutch League dross” comment again an Irish fan is in no position to be piping up about the standard of the Dutch League when most our players are 2nd tier Championship players. 

People really want to tempt fate. 
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

As for the “Dutch League dross” comment again an Irish fan is in no position to be piping up about the standard of the Dutch League when most our players are 2nd tier Championship players. 

And what? The Dutch league is a poor standard. No one is arguing that any of our Championship players are genuine quality footballers! They are honest and hard working no point trying to portray them as something they’re not.

Gakpo won’t be in the Liverpool side once Diaz and Jota come back from injury, it was a panic buy.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

And what? The Dutch league is a poor standard. No one is arguing that any of our Championship players are genuine quality footballers! They are honest and hard working no point trying to portray them as something they’re not.

Gakpo won’t be in the Liverpool side once Diaz and Jota come back from injury, it was a panic buy.

It’s not a poor standard it’s not in the Top 5 Leagues but it’s probably 6th in Europe. Some signings work out such as Lisandro Martinez or Frankie De Jong others don’t such as Vincent Jannsen and Davy Klassen. That’s the nature of every League. 

As for Gapko he’s come into a team that’s a complete mess. Way too early to judge him yet.

Edited by kevin100 - 03 Feb 2023 at 7:38pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:41pm
The Dutch league isnt poor. For what its worth im not convinced by Gakpo either. Anyone that thinks Depay is a flop is nutters. They are a class above us but we can trouble them at home i think. Still may not be enough to get any points tho.
I love beer gardens
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:41pm

It’s not a poor standard it’s not in the Top 5 Leagues but it’s probably 6th in Europe. Some signings work out such as Lisandro Martinez or Frankie De Jong others don’t such as Vincent Jannsen and Davy Klassen. That’s the nature of every League. 

As for Gapko he’s come into a team that’s a complete mess. Way too early to judge him yet.

Again I’m pointing out the ridiculous statement that he was one of the most in form players in World Football! The Dutch league is behind the Spanish, English, Italian, German, French and Portuguese League in standards.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Few fellas on this forum obviously know more than the likes of Klopp and top European scouts. Yous are wasted.

I was pointing out the statement that he was one of the most in form players in World Football was truly laughable.

Would agree with you there.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Where do you all think all the dutch international players come from ? the Romanian leagues? LOL
You say that like the dutch international team is good.. they're obviously a level above us but they're not a serious international force anymore and haven't been for a long time - mainly because their domestic league has been left behind the big 5. 

Klaassen, Janssen, Bergwijn, Depay. We'll be adding Gakpo to that list of recent flops soon enough 

They're ranked 6 in the world! LOL

Oh come off it, everybody knows the rankings are worth toffee.

Going off the far more realistic ELO ranking formula, they are 4th and us 47th, which I'd say is about right. France 3, Greece 44, Gibraltar 181

https://www.eloratings.net

Edited by dangere_here - 03 Feb 2023 at 8:01pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:18pm

Few fellas on this forum obviously know more than the likes of Klopp and top European scouts. Yous are wasted.

By that logic how could a top club ever have a flop?

Poor Naby Keita? Was it those scouts and Klopp that picked him out or did they throw darts at a board. 

Gakpo is sh*te. It's alright lads, I'm sure you'll all survive the revelation.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

The Dutch league isnt poor. For what its worth im not convinced by Gakpo either. Anyone that thinks Depay is a flop is nutters. They are a class above us but we can trouble them at home i think. Still may not be enough to get any points tho.

Yeah, I would put them a little ahead of Portugal and we gave them a fright away and got a good draw at home (almost nicked a win too).

Most likely outcome is 2 losses, but it's not outlandish to think we could get a result or two if we're properly at it and have everyone fit and firing.

Our squad is better now than it was in 2021, more depth in the forward line. Part of what killed us vs Portugal away (aside from the Ref) was the lack of depth on the bench.

Connolly-Idah-McGrath did very well, but when they got tired towards the end we had no outlet and the pressure just grew.
McClean-J.Collins-Molumby were their subs on the night, & they just don't pose any threat on the counter.

If we'd had the options we do now, it could have been:
Ogbene for Connolly (instead of McClean)
Obafemi or Ferguson for Idah (instead of J.Collins)
Knight or Browne for McGrath (instead of Molumby. Then you could have Molumby in for Hendrick)

That^ could have seen us hold out for the win.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Going off the far more realistic ELO ranking formula, they are 4th and us 47th, which I'd say is about right. France 3, Greece 44, Gibraltar 181

https://www.eloratings.net
I'm not really massively sold on any international ranking system, to be honest. I don't believe Venezuela and Canada are better sides than us. Iran in 27th.. maybe, they're a weird one. I personally think they're a bit sh*te and beneficiaries of playing in a shocking region. I know its weighted and you get points based on other teams rankings but yeah.. just doesn't seem right to me.

Edited by SeaSharp - 03 Feb 2023 at 8:25pm
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 5:17am

Again I’m pointing out the ridiculous statement that he was one of the most in form players in World Football! The Dutch league is behind the Spanish, English, Italian, German, French and Portuguese League in standards.

By form he was one of them... 25-30 goal contributions before the world cup even started is outrageously good in any of the mentioned leagues. It makes him a de facto in form player. Then scoring 3 goals at a world cup (as many as Robbie ever managed).

Is he Haaland or Mbappe? no
But you really have to act like that is what I was saying to think what I said was hyperbole. I didn't say he was one of the best players in the world. And world football means outside premier league and the super clubs too. I was clearly casting a wide net and not being hyperbolic.

I can easily have said the same for Darwin or even Alvarez before he signed for city from Argentina. To call that ridiculous and hyperbolic is way OTT. Anyway Gakpo is a bloody good player with a very unusual profile. 35 mill is a snip for him, I stand by it.

Edited by Nialler - 04 Feb 2023 at 6:12am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Poor Naby Keita? Was it those scouts and Klopp that picked him out or did they throw darts at a board. 

Settle down pet, I actually have no interest in Gakpo. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:23am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Keita is a quality player.

His issue is staying fit.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:25am
Gakpo is far from sh*te. Struggling to settle in to a fractured Liverpool team right now, but most definitely not sh*te
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:26am
Are you a United fan by any chance E2016? LOL
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:29am
Gakpo, Keita etc all sh*te but if you said that Ogbene's pass completion in the final 3rd against Huddersfield wasn't up to scratch, there would lads on here having a full blown meltdown.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 6:30pm
So what approach should we be taking for the Latvia game? Gavin Cooney said when it was announced that we should "Expect two very different starting Irish line-ups" between Latvia & France.

Given the proximity to the France game, surely first team players should be kept away from the Latvia game. So it should be an opportunity to get a look a few extra players (& given there's still holes in the squad that need addressing (backup DM, creative CM, new RWB)).

Does Ferguson start vs Latvia? Get his first start, & maybe first goal, out of the way before France? Or wrap him in cotton wool and keep him away from this one?

I'd like to see something like:

Ferguson Parrott
                  Smallbone     
 Manning Coventry Hodge   Sykes
     Lenihan Duffy Omobamidele
                     CK/MT

45' for Ferguson, then bring on Idah for the second half.
Ronan an option, Kenny is a fan & you get the impression that if he's playing regularly he'll get his chance.

EDIT: Also, Ebosele off the bench.

Will be interesting to see if Azaz gets a call up. Would think they'd at least want a look at him in training.

Edited by Greenie50 - 05 Feb 2023 at 7:45pm
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

By form he was one of them... 25-30 goal contributions before the world cup even started is outrageously good in any of the mentioned leagues. It makes him a de facto in form player. Then scoring 3 goals at a world cup (as many as Robbie ever managed).

Is he Haaland or Mbappe? no
But you really have to act like that is what I was saying to think what I said was hyperbole. I didn't say he was one of the best players in the world. And world football means outside premier league and the super clubs too. I was clearly casting a wide net and not being hyperbolic.

I can easily have said the same for Darwin or even Alvarez before he signed for city from Argentina. To call that ridiculous and hyperbolic is way OTT. Anyway Gakpo is a bloody good player with a very unusual profile. 35 mill is a snip for him, I stand by it.

I take it back. Absolutely dreadful player
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 69>
  Share Topic