You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 69>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

thought zidane was lined up 

PSA- was looking for tickets for non hardcore fans like ourselves and the good people in the FAI ticket office told me tickets for the dirty public will be on sale w/b 23rd Jan. So keep a lookout. 

That definite ? general sale w/c 23 Jan for France at home 

Isn't there normally a pre-sale for exiting season ticket holders first? Doesn't leave much time for this. 
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 8:30pm
Right so as of today this is the team i would go 

Bazunu
          Collins    Egan    O'Shea
Doherty                                       O'Dowda

Browne Cullen Molumby

Ogbene       Ferguson

Depending on gametime you could replace Doherty for Coleman. I went with O'Dowda instead of James as i think hes probably a better passer and offers a bit more going forward. Im not a hige fan of Browne but he does pop up with goals and we might need some physicality against France so hes in there instead of Knight. Ogbene up top for me. Has goals in him and is an all round good player. We will have to see how Obafemi gets on in the transfer window. Is that enough to beat France? Almost certainly not. Even scraping a draw would be a monumental achievement i think. We may be able to get at Holland and Greece and get points from them and see where we go.
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:20pm
I'd have the same team other than I'd have Knight over Browne because he's just a far better player in my view. If Obafemi showed some form by March he could come in for Ogbene, otherwise no change up front. LWB has loads of options but none are particularly great, I'd agree with the O'Dowda shout there.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Jan 2023 at 10:21pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:19pm
Indo reporting we'll be in Antalaya for a week ahead of the Greece game for a camp to acclimatise to the heat

Edited by Denis Irwin - 23 Jan 2023 at 12:25am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Indo reporting we'll be in Anatlaya for a week ahead of the Greece game for a camp to acclimatise to the heat
Probably a good idea. Pretty sure you mean Antalya right? 
Thinking back to the Cyprus games and Turkey game in the past where we looked dead on our feet. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 12:49am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Right so as of today this is the team i would go 

Bazunu
          Collins    Egan    O'Shea
Doherty                                       O'Dowda

Browne Cullen Molumby

Ogbene       Ferguson

Depending on gametime you could replace Doherty for Coleman. I went with O'Dowda instead of James as i think hes probably a better passer and offers a bit more going forward. Im not a hige fan of Browne but he does pop up with goals and we might need some physicality against France so hes in there instead of Knight. Ogbene up top for me. Has goals in him and is an all round good player. We will have to see how Obafemi gets on in the transfer window. Is that enough to beat France? Almost certainly not. Even scraping a draw would be a monumental achievement i think. We may be able to get at Holland and Greece and get points from them and see where we go.

EF or AI
    McGrath Cullen Molumby Ogbene                                 
 Doherty O'Shea Egan Collins Coleman
                       Bazunu  

541/3421 but it can easily switch to 352 just by pushing Ogbene up along side the other striker.
Ferguson or Idah up top.
I'd go with Ogbene over Obafemi as Ogbene gives more versatility (winger/striker) & more physicality (Obafemi won't get into duels or challenge for headers, etc). Obafemi could pull a goal out of nothing or he could be marked out of a game like this and be anonymous.

McGrath (more technical) over Browne or Knight , based on both his performances vs Portugal. Browne would be first off the bench.
I don't think Knight is ready for this level, at least while playing in League 1, was poor in the 2 games in September, needs to get out of Derby.

Doherty & Coleman as wingbacks, best 2 we have by a wide margin. McClean shouldn't be anywhere near this game.
Consideration could be given to Festy if he starts playing regularly between now and then.

Edited by Greenie50 - 23 Jan 2023 at 12:51am
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:05pm
See UEFA have announced that after these qualifiers the ones for 2028 will be 12 groups of 4 and 5.

Which also leads to the changes they've made for the Nations League which now includes quarter finals League A along with promotion/relegation play offs. There'll be no promotion/relegation playoff between League C and D.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/027d-1727b3b1e199-61019185e2c8-1000--new-formats-for-uefa-men-s-national-team-competitions-app/
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:06pm
Raphael Varane announcing his retirement from international football today. Can’t see anything other than an easy win for us now 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:14pm
With Kimpembe also likely to be out injured, that does leave them (relatively) weaker at centre back. Saliba doesn't seem to be fancied for whatever reason, so it will probably be Konate (still a little raw) and Upamecano (an outright liability) in defence for France. With their concurrent issues in the full back positions at the moment, it is a very tiny chink of light at least.
We're decent enough..
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

With Kimpembe also likely to be out injured, that does leave them (relatively) weaker at centre back. Saliba doesn't seem to be fancied for whatever reason, so it will probably be Konate (still a little raw) and Upamecano (an outright liability) in defence for France. With their concurrent issues in the full back positions at the moment, it is a very tiny chink of light at least.

Saliba is a classy defender like Varane. Not the type of defenders who like to get their socks dirty.

Now that Varane has retired, he should fill that void.

They also have Badiashile who just sign for Chelsea. He's a very good left footed CB.

I actually think Upamecano was France's best defender at The WC. He can be too aggressive/eager at times, but he does have a lot of the attributes needed for modern football.

Koundé's best position is CB. He could move inside moving forward.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:08pm
I’d be very surprised if Badiashile is anywhere near the squad, much better and more established centre halves ahead of him I would think? He’s one for the future 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

I’d be very surprised if Badiashile is anywhere near the squad, much better and more established centre halves ahead of him I would think? He’s one for the future 

He already has 2 caps and is about to become a starting CB for Chelsea.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 4:28pm
For no reason at all, I actually think we'll get a result against France at home.

Provided they don't lose to Holland in the first game that is.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 4:38pm
It's definitely possible. Lets be honest, France and Holland know they're going to piss this group over the 8 games, so a draw in Dublin for either will probably be seen as an acceptable result. Win the home games, draws away in Ireland and Greece and they'll qualify handily enough.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:16pm
What are you basing this optimism on?

We struggled to beat Malta away, lost away to Armenia and Lux at home and just about beat Armenia at home.

We're too easy to play against - France will come here and play in 1st gear - if we do by chance go 1 up or something - France will just change gears and get the result they want.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We struggled to beat Malta away, lost away to Armenia and Lux at home and just about beat Armenia at home.

We're too easy to play against - France will come here and play in 1st gear - if we do by chance go 1 up or something - France will just change gears and get the result they want.

agree. Quite bizarre 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Saliba is a classy defender like Varane. Not the type of defenders who like to get their socks dirty.

Now that Varane has retired, he should fill that void.

They also have Badiashile who just sign for Chelsea. He's a very good left footed CB.

I actually think Upamecano was France's best defender at The WC. He can be too aggressive/eager at times, but he does have a lot of the attributes needed for modern football.

Koundé's best position is CB. He could move inside moving forward.

Fair enough on Saliba - Deschamps always did seem to favour Varane + 1 "bruiser" for want of a better word, so perhaps Saliba will take his place. I can't agree on Upamecano though, I think he's really poor. He embodies all of Deschamps worst impulses when it comes to picking defenders just for being big and fast rather than actually being any good. Kounde I think will continue at right-back as Pavards form has not improved (strong defender, but doesn't offer much of an attacking impulse); while they have the opposite poblem with Theo Hernandez on the other side (good going forward, suspect defensively).
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Mainly on the fact that Kenny seems to set us up better against better teams and, being honest, France don't really need to win the game. They had draws with Bosnia and Ukraine (twice) last time out and lost and drew with Turkey in the previous campaign. 

A bit like the Portugal game in 2021, we were delighted with a point but it was fine for them too in terms of how the group was set up. In that context it wasn't near as impressive a result as it was made out to be. I'm not expecting peak World Cup France to turn up in Dublin, they may win by a goal or two but a draw is absolutely possible as well, and much more likely than a 3 goal plus hammering. 

It won't count for anything in the end though, France and Holland will qualify easily from this group unless Greece have massively improved in the last year.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Feb 2023 at 5:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 69>
  Share Topic