You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 69>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diavol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 3:20am
I'd say Greece is very tricky. We did beat Sweden last qualification and took a point of Spain, yet didn't manage to beat Kosovo both times. 

Btw if you took Gibraltar out this group looks like a group from the final phase of the tournament and not a qualifying one. It's even tougher than half of the WC groups seriously.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Diavol Diavol wrote:

Btw if you took Gibraltar out this group looks like a group from the final phase of the tournament and not a qualifying one. It's even tougher than half of the WC groups seriously.

Well not really because, you know, we're in it. I suppose if you took us out it might look like one of those three team groups they're proposing for 2026.

How people think we have any prospect at all of finishing in the top two in this group is beyond me.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Dec 2022 at 2:39pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 7:51pm

I'd say Greece is very tricky. We did beat Sweden last qualification and took a point of Spain, yet didn't manage to beat Kosovo both times. 

Is it true that Greece are in a good position for a playoff? I would think Ireland - Greece are around the same level these days but I would think Greece are more likely to win one of the two matches, particularly the away match in summer. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 8:02pm
Greece won their NL group so already have a playoff guaranteed to them.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Is it true that Greece are in a good position for a playoff? I would think Ireland - Greece are around the same level these days but I would think Greece are more likely to win one of the two matches, particularly the away match in summer. 
If we're being honest, on current form we are one of the worst teams in Europe, no doubt about it. Greece are far more likely to win a game, to the point that we could consider a draw in Athens quite a positive result.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 8:36pm
To save me reading back through this, what do we need to happen for us to get a playoff?

Could we finish 4th and still end up in a playoff?

Edited by Roberto_Carlow - 21 Dec 2022 at 8:36pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

To save me reading back through this, what do we need to happen for us to get a playoff?

Yes. The playoff spots are handed out via the Nations League. Doesnt matter where you finish in your regular qualifying group.

As for what we need to happen? We need as many teams as posible that have already earned a playoff spot in the Nations League to qualify automatically in these qualifiers and thus, their playoff spot gets handed down to us.
CantonasCat View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CantonasCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Yes. The playoff spots are handed out via the Nations League. Doesnt matter where you finish in your regular qualifying group.

As for what we need to happen? We need as many teams as posible that have already earned a playoff spot in the Nations League to qualify automatically in these qualifiers and thus, their playoff spot gets handed down to us.

Thanks for this - i’d been wondering the same myself! Thought it was that way. Great to have it clarified
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 1:16pm

We could finish bottom and still get a playoff. Or come third and not get one. Basically nothing we do in 2023 actually matters once it's accepted that we're not finishing in the top 2 in this group.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 2:09pm
Cheers. Realistically finishing 3rd would be our aim and hope of a playoff. Although finishing bottom and qualifying via a playoff would be glorious.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 4:34pm
Holland must only improve now freed from the shackles of van Gaal
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 10:32am
Deschamps extends his contract 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 12:13pm
thought zidane was lined up 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

PSA- was looking for tickets for non hardcore fans like ourselves and the good people in the FAI ticket office told me tickets for the dirty public will be on sale w/b 23rd Jan. So keep a lookout. 
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:23pm
For France (H)
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 7:36pm
Lloris has retired.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Lloris has retired.
Bad news.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

PSA- was looking for tickets for non hardcore fans like ourselves and the good people in the FAI ticket office told me tickets for the dirty public will be on sale w/b 23rd Jan. So keep a lookout. 

That definite ? general sale w/c 23 Jan for France at home 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 69>
  Share Topic