Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 69>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

France in March good god we could be thorn a new one 
Hopefully we can rose to the occasion.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

France in March good god we could be thorn a new one 
Hopefully we can rose to the occasion.

Bloomin' hell

Hopefully we can LEAVE the puns there
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:31pm
France look decent but Australia were poor 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 1:10am
Australia would be our level though. One half decent player and then a bunch of rag tag Championship cast offs
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 7:52am
Australia are considerably weaker than us. They had players on the field last night that wouldn't make our squad, never mind our starting team.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 8:19am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Australia are considerably weaker than us. They had players on the field last night that wouldn't make our squad, never mind our starting team.
Based on what? We scraped over Armenia and Malta. I don’t think any team can be ‘considerably weaker’ than us right now, not to mention a team competing at the World Cup 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Based on what? We scraped over Armenia and Malta. I don’t think any team can be ‘considerably weaker’ than us right now, not to mention a team competing at the World Cup 

Based on the standard of our playing personnel. Just because we are being coached to look like minnows doesn't mean we are actually minnows, it just means we are being badly coached. We have a considerably stronger squad than Australia.

Of what might be considered to be our best starting team, how many of the following wouldn't have got in that Australia team last night?

Bazunu
           Egan Collins O'Shea
Doherty Cullen Molumby McClean 
                      Knight
            Ogbene Obafemi 

You can argue the toss over whether that's our best starting team or not, but at least nine of those would get in the Australia team, maybe more. Probably at least five or six more from the rest of our squad as well - Coleman, Omobamidele etc.

So that's what I'm basing it on.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 8:47am

Based on the standard of our playing personnel. Just because we are being coached to look like minnows doesn't mean we are actually minnows, it just means we are being badly coached. We have a considerably stronger squad than Australia.

Of what might be considered to be our best starting team, how many of the following wouldn't have got in that Australia team last night?

Bazunu
           Egan Collins O'Shea
                      Knight
            Ogbene Obafemi 

You can argue the toss over whether that's our best starting team or not, but at least nine of those would get in the Australia team, maybe more. Probably at least five or six more from the rest of our squad as well - Coleman, Omobamidele etc.

Again, a considerably stronger squad is highly debatable. Of the starting 11 last night: 4 are playing in Scotland, 2 in C’ship, 2 in A league, 1 in Denmark, 1 in Japan and 1 in German second tier

Compared to the 11 you posted: 7 in C’ship, 3 in Prem and 1 in League 1. Do I think we are better than Australia? Absolutely but I do not see how you believe we have a considerably stronger squad at this moment in time 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:04am

Bazunu
           Egan Collins O'Shea
                      Knight
            Ogbene Obafemi 

Again, a considerably stronger squad is highly debatable. Of the starting 11 last night: 4 are playing in Scotland, 2 in C’ship, 2 in A league, 1 in Denmark, 1 in Japan and 1 in German second tier

Compared to the 11 you posted: 7 in C’ship, 3 in Prem and 1 in League 1. Do I think we are better than Australia? Absolutely but I do not see how you believe we have a considerably stronger squad at this moment in time 

There's a huge difference there. They don't have any Premier League level players and only 4 or 5 championship level players even. 

The only part of the field they are competitive with us in would be the centre of midfield, which is obviously our weak spot. And even then it's not clear cut that their centre mids are any better than ours. Maybe GK if you are being very kind to them but Matt Ryan has bombed out of mid rank Premier League and La Liga clubs in recent years and plays in Denmark now. 

Centre backs, wing backs, up front we're well ahead of them. That's not saying that our lads are world beaters or anything of the sort, we're obviously not. It's just that they have a very weak team at the moment and, despite our current woes, we have much better players overall than they do.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:28am
Our hope is that France walk the group and we can pick up something against the Dutch.

My fear is more Greece at the moment can see us dropping points to them 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:58pm
Just looking at the four lower ranked teams (Sweden, Romania, Turkey and Slovakia) who can prevent us getting a playoff if more than two of them qualify automatically.  

How on earth are Sweden below us in the rankings given their qualifying record compared to ours? 

Given our own group is already a write-off, this is a total disaster given how open their groups are where at least two of them will qualify automatically. 

Wales home to Turkey could be huge for us in the last match for that group. 

Austria have improved a lot in the last few years but it's going to be very tight if they prevent Sweden finishing in second place. 

Same with Romania and Israel. Israel may have a better chance of finishing ahead of them given Romania have a harder run-in. 

Bosnia are home to Slovakia in the last round of games in their group so hopefully they'll only need a draw to finish ahead of them. 

Having to shout for Wales and Israel to qualify ahead of those teams. Ermm

Are our chances even 50/50 of even getting a playoff? I wouldn't be too sure about that. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
CantonasCat View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CantonasCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:22am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Just looking at the four lower ranked teams (Sweden, Romania, Turkey and Slovakia) who can prevent us getting a playoff if more than two of them qualify automatically.  

How on earth are Sweden below us in the rankings given their qualifying record compared to ours? 

Given our own group is already a write-off, this is a total disaster given how open their groups are where at least two of them will qualify automatically. 

Wales home to Turkey could be huge for us in the last match for that group. 

Austria have improved a lot in the last few years but it's going to be very tight if they prevent Sweden finishing in second place. 

Same with Romania and Israel. Israel may have a better chance of finishing ahead of them given Romania have a harder run-in. 

Bosnia are home to Slovakia in the last round of games in their group so hopefully they'll only need a draw to finish ahead of them. 

Having to shout for Wales and Israel to qualify ahead of those teams. Ermm

Are our chances even 50/50 of even getting a playoff? I wouldn't be too sure about that. 

Great post! Very fascinating and informative.    We live in hope!   However, I was under the impression that play off places could only be given to teams who rank high in their respective nations league groups?  I thought that we were excluded from the playoffs, with Scotland pipping us to the post .   (If there was no play-off to play for, the qualifying group really would be a feckin write off).  I guess if the highly ranked nations league teams automatically qualify for 2024, then the opportunity for a playoff filters down to the next ranked team?      I think I’m spluttering and talking b@lls here 

Edited by CantonasCat - 25 Nov 2022 at 12:23am
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 6:05pm
wouldn’t be too worried about that Dutch team they’ll drop points in our group no doubt . France look a much stronger side 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

wouldn’t be too worried about that Dutch team they’ll drop points in our group no doubt . France look a much stronger side 

me neither. the dutch are looking bang average so far in this tournament. France on the other hand Sick
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

me neither. the dutch are looking bang average so far in this tournament. France on the other hand Sick

Yeah can see the Dutch dropping points to the lies of Greece and ourselves, let's just hope we don't against Greece.

If we can pick up at the least 1 point from France,2 points from Netherlands and maybe even 4 against Greece I could see us finishing above them
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 6:45pm
Is Van Gaal still going to be in charge? Question marks over Deschamps as well. Zidane holding out for that job apparently.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 7:05pm
No Van Gaal is being replaced by Koeman.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Is Van Gaal still going to be in charge? Question marks over Deschamps as well. Zidane holding out for that job apparently.

I'd say Deschamps will be gone regardless, I believe his contract is up after the World Cup so if they win the World Cup he walks away if they don't it won't be renewed 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 69>
  Share Topic