Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 69>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Looking at the rankings currently and I know they are subject to huge change in the coming week. There doesnt look to be a lot between the teams currently occupying the 2nd seed spots (with the exception of England) and those in the 3rd seed spots (who we'd avoid if we end up as appears likely 3rd seeds). From our pov, we would like to see France/ENgland/Italy end up as 1st seeds to avoid a possible group of death scenario, but otherwise getting 2nd seed vs 3rd seed status doesnt look to make that big of a difference in terms of potential opposition. There will be some weakish teams in Pot 2 and some strong teams in Pot 3 whom we will avoid.

I agree i'd rather avoid the possibility of a group with say France and England being the Top 2

There's team in Pot 2 currently you'd want to avoid England as previously mentioned and maybe the Swiss (though we did take points from them last campaign we played them.

Let's all be honest of the current Pot 1 teams the only one we could realistically fancy getting points off would be Hungary (though they do seem to be in good form- [queue them getting hammered by Germany tonight LOL ] and Czechia 

Croatia (ageing) and Denmark are 2 other top seeds currently that we might fancy taking points off. We did after all take points off Portugal in the latest campaign and we were absolutely robbed over there. Tbf, our young team seems to be on an upward curve atm. (cue them getting hammered by Scotland tmw Smile)

Yeah I suppose you could make a point for Denmark and Croatia, I'd still want to avoid them though

I'd say terms of who'd you want from the current Pot 1 I'd rank them as follows

1.-Czech Republic - could be a dangerous team would be a nice trip too (they do have to play Switzerland in their last game so we might see these two switch pots)

2.Hungary- as described while in good form of the current 10 teams in Pot 1 you'd want them over most of the others

3.Denmark- Who doesn't fancy another trip to Copenhagen LOL joking aside you'd take them over the other teams

4. Croatia- as you say they do have an ageing team, it will be interesting to see what the likes of  Modric,Perisic do after the WC but we wrote them off when we got them in 2012 and it bite us, still have a great collection of players at their disposal, but I'd take them over others

5. Portugal - As you say we gave them a decent fight and did take points off them during the last campaign- be again interesting to see potential retirements after the WC 

6. Italy- will be current holders and have been struggling a little since winning the Euros, on their day they just know how to win- it we get them the game 100% ROME

7. Netherlands- again on their day they know how to win, Koeman will take over from van Gaal after the WC , they have a good mix of youth and experience so will be tough (I actually think they'll go quite far in WC- potential outsider bet 12/1)

8. Belgium- Their golden generations last real chance this winter perhaps but defence aside a good few are still only early 30's. We gave their B team a decent game back in March but one of the top 3 to avoid

9.Spain- Another who I think could be a potential WC winner, you talk of our great young talents coming through, the likes Pedri, Gavi Ferran Torres,Pino are on a different level.

10. France- Could go onto back to back WC's , while I think they have been flaky at times since, you really wouldn't want them.
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:19pm
England currently heading for League B and pot 2
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:45pm

And sure enough, they're down. And it's 5 games without a win. Yet, come Mid-november, the Brit tabloids will still be tipping England to win the World Cup. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And sure enough, they're down. And it's 5 games without a win. Yet, come Mid-november, the Brit tabloids will still be tipping England to win the World Cup. LOL

Can actually see them being humbled by US and the Welsh come November 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
Guaranteed top seeds for the qualifiers will be Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, and Spain.

Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, France, and Poland are still fighting for the last three spots as top seeds.

England and Bosnia now join Wales as the guaranteed second seeds for the qualifiers and Romania will be third seeds with Sweden.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:39pm
Remember some drab performances against Hungary in the recent past but they seem to be on the upswing in fairness. Probably comfortably their best side in decades.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 7:13pm
Slovenia beating Norway a bit of a spanner in the 3rd place table and the playoff off route :(
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:15am
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:38am
Is there a list anywhere of how the seed pots currently stand (or likely to stand).
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:02am

The overall ranking section of this Wikipedia page basically shows it. 1-11 other than Germany are the first seeds as it stands, 12-21 second seeds 22-31 are third seeds, Russia at 32 are excluded, 33-42 are fourth seeds (Turkey look dangerous there) and then 43 and below are the also rans. 

There are a number of results in games not involving Ireland that could help our ranking in terms of maybe sneaking an unlikely playoff place, starting with group B3 tomorrow - we would want either Montenegro or Romania to finish third instead of Finland in that group.

Edited by You Tell Me - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:02am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:50am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The overall ranking section of this Wikipedia page basically shows it. 1-11 other than Germany are the first seeds as it stands, 12-21 second seeds 22-31 are third seeds, Russia at 32 are excluded, 33-42 are fourth seeds (Turkey look dangerous there) and then 43 and below are the also rans. 

There are a number of results in games not involving Ireland that could help our ranking in terms of maybe sneaking an unlikely playoff place, starting with group B3 tomorrow - we would want either Montenegro or Romania to finish third instead of Finland in that group.
To addd…assuming the 20 direct (21 including Germany) qualifiers are in the top 28, 7 of the top 28 fall into league A and B playoffs. 1 League D team make up the 8th.

I don’t see too many teams from 29 down qualifying directly so confident we’ll be in the playoffs - the League A one being the most likely.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:55am
Edit: answered me own question 

Edited by t_rAndy - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:58am
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Cheers. Looking forward to the draw in a couple.of weeks 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 2:41pm
France likely to remain in Pot 1, England likely to be the only big gun in pot 2. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 3:10pm
Group of Death -Spain, England, Turkey, the North

Best Case - Switzerland, Israel, Bulgaria, Gibralter
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:36pm

France likely to remain in Pot 1, England likely to be the only big gun in pot 2. 
loosing 2-0 so a win by Austria, Czechs or Poland and they are in pot 2 - not that they’ll care an iota.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

loosing 2-0 so a win by Austria, Czechs or Poland and they are in pot 2 - not that they’ll care an iota.

If Czechs win they'll switch with Swiss so France would still be pot 1 but yes either Austria or Poland win and they'll be pot 2
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm
Poland 1 up puts them ahead of France 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 69>
  Share Topic