You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Technology - Bah humbug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:15pm
Newark airport was practically cashless 8 years ago - ordered and paid for for your drink via touchpads at each bar seat location 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Getting a bit fed up with modern trends.  For example using QR codes for menus in restaurants etc.  Was in Manchester Airport recently.  Had some English cash I wanted to spend before coming back to  the EIRE.  Was hungry. So decided to have a meal and a pint at the airport. and get rid of cash,. Perfect.

Sat down.  Called waitress over . Can I have a menu please?  Was informed I have to use the qr code to see the menu.  Then when I decided what I wanted told her.  ''Oh no I can't take your order you have to download an app and order on that''. I told her I want to pay cash.  ''We dont accept cash''. f**k sake.  So download said app and the thing wouldnt work to take my payment for some reason.

So then had to tell the waitress the app isnt taking payment she informs me she doesnt know what to do.  So calls the manager over. 

f**k that sh*te.  Just take my order FFS and let me pay however the f**k I want.Angry

90s take me back.

These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!

So they will get rid now then I take it?
Nah these systems in long before covid.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Getting a bit fed up with modern trends.  For example using QR codes for menus in restaurants etc.  Was in Manchester Airport recently.  Had some English cash I wanted to spend before coming back to  the EIRE.  Was hungry. So decided to have a meal and a pint at the airport. and get rid of cash,. Perfect.

Sat down.  Called waitress over . Can I have a menu please?  Was informed I have to use the qr code to see the menu.  Then when I decided what I wanted told her.  ''Oh no I can't take your order you have to download an app and order on that''. I told her I want to pay cash.  ''We dont accept cash''. f**k sake.  So download said app and the thing wouldnt work to take my payment for some reason.

So then had to tell the waitress the app isnt taking payment she informs me she doesnt know what to do.  So calls the manager over. 

f**k that sh*te.  Just take my order FFS and let me pay however the f**k I want.Angry

90s take me back.

These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!

So they will get rid now then I take it?
Nah these systems in long before covid.

Which they were - But the onset of Covid made them a lot more widespread.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:43pm
TJ in technology meltdown Shocked
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:39pm
II dont like the newish McDonalds system.   In the past you waited and paid at the counter and got food put on your tray instantly and off you went.

Now they encourage you to use the screens to order and pay with card and then then you get a raffle umber and it seems to take ages for your food to come as yes the payment might be quicker but the lads making the burgers cant make tgem quick enough to keep up so there is always a  backlog.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:47pm
Agree
I go to the drive through instead now 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:59am

II dont like the newish McDonalds system.   In the past you waited and paid at the counter and got food put on your tray instantly and off you went.

Now they encourage you to use the screens to order and pay with card and then then you get a raffle umber and it seems to take ages for your food to come as yes the payment might be quicker but the lads making the burgers cant make tgem quick enough to keep up so there is always a  backlog.

It's a much better system for McDonald's IMO. McDonald's used to be a disaster when you tried to order a plain burger or a burger without certain things on it when you ordered at the counter. Now, you can select exactly what you want on it. Great system.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:00am
Pros and cons to many of the things. 
The menu things are handy at times you know what's on the full drinks menu for example and you also don't have to wait on a waiter. But then if you are ordering for multiple people at a time then your spending a lot of your time on the phone. 

The McDonald's waiting around for 10 minutes after ordering for a happy meal trying not to get in the way can also be annoying but then the ability to custom the burger to your choosing and that you don't have to deal with a queue generally are positives. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Newark airport was practically cashless 8 years ago - ordered and paid for for your drink via touchpads at each bar seat location 

that was probably an outlier as back then it commonplace in america for you to have to sign receipts after swiping your card. i couldn't get over the fact when i went to the states 5 years ago they didn't have chip and pin or contactless. i believe that has changed or is about to change.

agree with posters though re scanning QR codes for menus. a right pain in the hole it is. came across one place a few months back that had paper menus behind the till for customers who were unable to scan the QR codes.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:44am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It's a much better system for McDonald's IMO. McDonald's used to be a disaster when you tried to order a plain burger or a burger without certain things on it when you ordered at the counter. Now, you can select exactly what you want on it. Great system.
+1

to add i hate queueing, no time for it. went into a mcdonalds in scotland recently where you could pre-order your meal on an app and it'd be ready when you arrived. 

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:21am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

You also don't get fat shamed ordering off a screen LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

that was probably an outlier as back then it commonplace in america for you to have to sign receipts after swiping your card. i couldn't get over the fact when i went to the states 5 years ago they didn't have chip and pin or contactless. i believe that has changed or is about to change.

agree with posters though re scanning QR codes for menus. a right pain in the hole it is. came across one place a few months back that had paper menus behind the till for customers who were unable to scan the QR codes.

Was over there recently. Still have to sign paper receipts and majoritynof the time tapping didnt work. Had to use chip and pin.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:38am
In Tescos you can scan as you go. Then go to the designated till. Scan the scanner and pay by card. Really speeds up the shop. Save time by only putting stuff into trolley once. And no queues for then tills. 

Edited by theheff1989 - 13 May 2022 at 11:38am
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:08pm
Question for tech heads. 

I’m on my holidays. I tried to watch the Pats game on RTE news app but got a message saying “not available to watch in your location”. I switched off the wifi on my phone and it worked on 4G. Turned the wifi back on and it still worked. 

I noticed before that Paddy Power won’t work with wifi but will work with 4G. 

What is the reason for this? Seems ridiculous.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:14pm

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Was over there recently. Still have to sign paper receipts and majoritynof the time tapping didnt work. Had to use chip and pin.

The reason for that is so the bartender or server can get a tip. 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Question for tech heads. 

I’m on my holidays. I tried to watch the Pats game on RTE news app but got a message saying “not available to watch in your location”. I switched off the wifi on my phone and it worked on 4G. Turned the wifi back on and it still worked. 

They are using GEO location.

Your wifi will have a local IP in whatever place your in but your 4G will be connecting from an IP in Ireland.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:57pm
I have a vpn but still can't watch RTE on the laptop? Any tips around that?
It would damage this forums' reputation
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Question for tech heads. 

They are using GEO location.

Your wifi will have a local IP in whatever place your in but your 4G will be connecting from an IP in Ireland.

Cheers Horse
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic