You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Technology - Bah humbug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technology - Bah humbug
    Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:00am
Getting a bit fed up with modern trends.  For example using QR codes for menus in restaurants etc.  Was in Manchester Airport recently.  Had some English cash I wanted to spend before coming back to  the EIRE.  Was hungry. So decided to have a meal and a pint at the airport. and get rid of cash,. Perfect.

Sat down.  Called waitress over . Can I have a menu please?  Was informed I have to use the qr code to see the menu.  Then when I decided what I wanted told her.  ''Oh no I can't take your order you have to download an app and order on that''. I told her I want to pay cash.  ''We dont accept cash''. f**k sake.  So download said app and the thing wouldnt work to take my payment for some reason.

So then had to tell the waitress the app isnt taking payment she informs me she doesnt know what to do.  So calls the manager over. 

f**k that sh*te.  Just take my order FFS and let me pay however the f**k I want.Angry

90s take me back.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Getting a bit fed up with modern trends.  For example using QR codes for menus in restaurants etc.  Was in Manchester Airport recently.  Had some English cash I wanted to spend before coming back to  the EIRE.  Was hungry. So decided to have a meal and a pint at the airport. and get rid of cash,. Perfect.

Sat down.  Called waitress over . Can I have a menu please?  Was informed I have to use the qr code to see the menu.  Then when I decided what I wanted told her.  ''Oh no I can't take your order you have to download an app and order on that''. I told her I want to pay cash.  ''We dont accept cash''. f**k sake.  So download said app and the thing wouldnt work to take my payment for some reason.

So then had to tell the waitress the app isnt taking payment she informs me she doesnt know what to do.  So calls the manager over. 

f**k that sh*te.  Just take my order FFS and let me pay however the f**k I want.Angry

90s take me back.

These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

90s take me back.

These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!

Load of bollox.  Its money saving for businesses.  Less printing costs, less staff costs etc..  Even the season tickets are no more.  A poxy code on your phone and half the stadium have problems getting in with it.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:19am

90s take me back.

Load of bollox.  Its money saving for businesses.  Less printing costs, less staff costs etc..  Even the season tickets are no more.  A poxy code on your phone and half the stadium have problems getting in with it.

Fair enough - I guess you know more than my friends who work in hospitality. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:21am

90s take me back.

So they will get rid now then I take it?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:25am

90s take me back.

Fair enough - I guess you know more than my friends who work in hospitality. 

So its for covid but said establishments have no problem cramming people in with no social distancing?

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:27am
To be fair the QR for menu isn't the end of the world but the craic of having to order and then not accepting cash is OTT. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:35am
Technology is supposed to make things more convenient but some of this sh*te is anything but convenient.  Is it more convenient to pick up a menu and read it or have to open up a QR scanner and download a menu?  Then there can be wifi issues. If you are in America for example and the wifi is dodgy you have to use your roaming data which costs a fortune.

As I said season tickets are all on your phone now.  I prefer a card.  Making day trips from the Riviera here to Lansdowne.  Your battery can run low.  HAlf the stadium couldnt even get them to work at the last game.  Big long queues to get in with the delays.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

90s take me back.

Some will, some won't. Been a mixed bag in places I've been into. 
Some will keep it as they see it as a money save, some will get rid of it as their brand/establishment is based around personal service.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

To be fair the QR for menu isn't the end of the world but the craic of having to order and then not accepting cash is OTT. 

The UK is definitely moving this way in certain areas, rightly or wrongly. Some racecourses are now no longer accepting cash (on course bookies the only place to use cash)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:51am

90s take me back.

Some will keep it as they see it as a money save, some will get rid of it as their brand/establishment is based around personal service.

So you are agreeing with me now after arguing it was for covid safetyConfused

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:54am

90s take me back.

So you are agreeing with me now after arguing it was for covid safetyConfused

No, my original statement was:

"These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!"

That's past tense - I was explaining where there came from/why they were introduced and that they weren't really a "trend"

Edited by Borussia - 12 May 2022 at 11:55am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:08pm
Every week a thread like this LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:12pm
I’ve never felt particularly comfortable with the retort of “just do it on your phone”, or “just use the app”. Or when people express a good idea but it is contingent on having functional and up to specification device.

If smart phones can ultimately become as affordable as more primitive models were, and can endure in the same way, and as technology becomes more and more relevant, it will become much easier to use apps, QR codes etc.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 1:41pm

If you think this is annoying, wait until the AI killer robots are running the show 
El Puto Amo
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 2:10pm
Would have just walked out tbh.

Its not a Covid thing either, been around well before it.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 2:21pm
a load of places in london no longer accept cash. tbh i rarely use it so it doesn't bother me.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

a load of places in london no longer accept cash. tbh i rarely use it so it doesn't bother me.

Cash isn't a problem, most people pay with cards or Android/Apple Pay but faffing about having to scan and download menus through QR codes and/or ordering and paying through an app is a joke.

The few places I've experienced this the waiters spend more time running around explaining to people what they have to do than if they had just had a physical menu at the tables and took orders on their own POS tablets / smartphones. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic