You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara Costelloe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:52pm
Very good debut for Costelloe. The goals will come. This looks like a quality team.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Did they ever correct their pronunciation of Conor Hourihane's surname after he explained how to say it in a video the club put together the summer Villa were promoted?

No. The thing is when it's a player from a non-English speaking country they make every effort to get it right. But when it's us they just impose their own pronunciations and don't really give a f**k.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 10:58pm
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:37pm

How are you supposed to pronounce it? I've never been acquainted with a Costello/Costelloe before. I always assumed it was pronounced Cost-ello like Elvis Costello and not Cost-illo.

They do mispronounce Irish surnames as a matter of course. I'm surprised they haven't found creative ways to do it with names like Kelly, Doyle and Lynch.

Just pronounce it as it's spelt .....no need to shout Tello at us
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:49pm

How are you supposed to pronounce it? I've never been acquainted with a Costello/Costelloe before. I always assumed it was pronounced Cost-ello like Elvis Costello and not Cost-illo.

They do mispronounce Irish surnames as a matter of course. I'm surprised they haven't found creative ways to do it with names like Kelly, Doyle and Lynch.

Castella. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I saw your face when the commentator asked me what I thought of Hamlet and I said I preferred Costello

Way too niche ffs LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:18am
Here's an interview with Dara Costelloe, and his accent is very influenced by English accents.
Should we demand to see his birth certificate? DNA test? Too early for that?

"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 8:54am
didnt he also attend an English training camp?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:10am
Sounds Irish to me. Who cares Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

didnt he also attend an English training camp?

England's underage team were training at Burnley and played their underage team.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 11:19am
he’s from Limerick lads. He’s really filled out and will only get better. Josh Cullen praised him after the game . https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0730/1313084-costelloe-earns-cullen-praise-after-burnley-debut/
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Here's an interview with Dara Costelloe, and his accent is very influenced by English accents.

Strange comment. He's definitely Irish going by that interview. 
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:19pm

Good to see you're changing your tune HH!
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 4:43pm

Good to see you're changing your tune HH!

I call it as I see it. Case for case basis, like anything!
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 12:19am

Barely any English influence there at all. That's not out of place at all for a Limerick accent
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:32am
Time to forget about accents. Ireland’s star player at the moment, Josh Cullen, is a granny ruler like his former West Ham colleagues Rice and Noble. Not much trace of a Leitrim accent there but thankfully he stuck with Ireland so who cares. Apart from that fellow Southgate, maybe.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Time to forget about accents. Ireland’s star player at the moment, Josh Cullen, is a granny ruler like his former West Ham colleagues Rice and Noble. Not much trace of a Leitrim accent there but thankfully he stuck with Ireland so who cares. Apart from that fellow Southgate, maybe.

There was no interest from England nor would there be now. There would be about thirty players ahead of him if he had held out for them.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:22am
A castella, a Malibu reef.

Think hard guvnor
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic