You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Cost of Living Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:47pm
The airport is a state at the moment so you can't leave the place, can't travel around with the price of fuel. Very hard to find somewhere to rent and if you are lucky and do, it's scarely affordable. Anywhere near Dublin is eyewateringly expensive to buy. Large parts of the country has no public transport and parts of Dublin it is shoddy at best. Hospital waiting lists are the pits and you will be waiting half a day if you have the misfortune of visiting A and E. Many countries have some of the problems above but it does feel like the most depressing time to be living in Ireland in my lifetime and I include the recession times in that!!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:59pm
Saw it at 2.25e for a litre of diesel in some garage in Kildare.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:22pm
Simple thing like bread. €2.70 pre covid, up to €3.00 post lockdown and now €3.25. Almost 20% rise. This will most likely rise even further.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Simple thing like bread. €2.70 pre covid, up to €3.00 post lockdown and now €3.25. Almost 20% rise. This will most likely rise even further.

Bread normally does rise RL , think its the yeast Smile 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:22pm

Wouldnt have a clue about the price of bread,milk etc. How do people know the price of all these things?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Wouldnt have a clue about the price of bread,milk etc. How do people know the price of all these things?
If you do the shopping then you know Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Staples such as the above are fairly well documented of late due to inflation. I certainly don't go around comparing prices on such items from last year etc but i definitely look more closely at what discretionary items im putting in the trolley. Pretty sure we all spot the hikes when it comes to coughing up the cash when paying for the trolley. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:24pm
BSM must be absolutely rolling in it
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:57pm
1 litre bottle of barcardi up from 11 quid to 12.25 in duty free Thumbs Down
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Last time we flew out of Dublin a bottle of Dingle Vodka was €36 Now  a few days before it was in Dunnes for €31 , work that one out . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Last time we flew out of Dublin a bottle of Dingle Vodka was €36 Now  a few days before it was in Dunnes for €31 , work that one out

You need new glasses Smile
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Well up over the €2 for a litre of fuel now Cry

A jump in about 15c the past week by my calculations. 30 quid more to fill the car since 'normal' times
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:46pm
Dominos have put everything up by 50c-to 1 euro
Already robbery there and they added delivery charges a couple years back

Edited by t_rAndy - 09 Jun 2022 at 7:46pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:59pm
Items of food are getting smaller I’ve noticed too

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm
I had a standard Guinness tulip 'pint' glass today and I decided to pour in a bottle of water into it, the bottle was the 500m Comeragh (Aldi plastics bottles) into the glass and it filled it to the top!

So these pints glasses are only 500m and not 568m that I was expecting.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:13pm
It was €7 for a basic McDonalds type burger in Pairc Ui Chaoimh last week. So many places are taking advantage to make some extra profit.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

It was €7 for a basic McDonalds type burger in Pairc Ui Chaoimh last week. So many places are taking advantage to make some extra profit.

what should it cost? almost everything required from the moment the calf was born to the point where it was put into your hand has increased in price significantly.

the truth is its hard to say who's profiteering and who's not. input costs such as the price of oil and fertiliser have increased beyond what anybody could have imagined prior to 2020. some companies will be able to absorb it for awhile but most will eventually have to be pass it on. supermarkets in the uk did this up until recently when it came to milk but eventually gave into pressure from the farming community for fear their suppliers would go bust. you can be sure the same is happening in ireland, the supermarkets are no shrinking violets, if they are forced to signficantly increase what they pay to suppliers then things must be very bad and you will be expected to pay for it.

perhaps its time to go back to tinfoil wrapped hang samwidges and a flask of tea on gaa days Big smile

Edited by colemanY2K - 10 Jun 2022 at 12:11am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 8:05am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I had a standard Guinness tulip 'pint' glass today and I decided to pour in a bottle of water into it, the bottle was the 500m Comeragh (Aldi plastics bottles) into the glass and it filled it to the top!

So these pints glasses are only 500m and not 568m that I was expecting.

Surely that illegal under some weights and measures legislation 

Edited by Newryrep - 10 Jun 2022 at 8:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 39>
  Share Topic