You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Cost of Living Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 4:33pm
I have had a GoMo monthly account for around 2 years, it's €11 a month. I bought a new Samsung phone for €270. I just pick a model that's a year old. I've had that phone 2.5 years. 

So my bills and phone have cost a total of €600 over 30 months which is about €20 a month. I doubt you will get a much better deal than that. 

I'll probably get a phone soon, I'll check out that Swappie option 
It would damage this forums' reputation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:46pm
We will be standing around a barrel fire soon enough

Bord Gáis Energy is increasing its rates for both electricity and gas customers.

According to a statement from the company, the average electricity bill will go up by 27% and the average gas bill will go up by 39%.

The company is ending its 'winter price pledge' and the changes will take effect from 15 April.

The company said it was working with the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) and is also establishing an energy support fund to help customers who ‘experience difficulties in managing their bills.’

Bord Gáis Energy blamed the price rises on "...the persistence of high demand on gas worldwide, reduced supplies, low storage volumes, geo-political issues and late winter conditions."

"As part of Centrica plc, and with decades of local experience, we will navigate through these unprecedented times with our customers," Dave Kirwan, Managing Director with Bord Gáis Energy said in a statement.

"However, there have been continued increases in wholesale energy costs over the past two years, particularly in the past 12 months.

"This, together with the expectation that costs will remain both high and volatile for some time, means we are forced to increase our prices," he said.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 12:09pm
Cost of diesel far higher than petrol. Used always be the other way around. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:52pm
Some hike in the aul average weekly shopping bill.

Basics like bread, milk etc. have shot up. This was all to be expected but still.
AS YOU WERE McGx

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Some hike in the aul average weekly shopping bill.

Basics like bread, milk etc. have shot up. This was all to be expected but still.
Inflation 9/10% me hole. 25 more like.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:36pm
How much has milk gone up in Ireland? In London a 2.2 litre drum of milk has gone up from £1.10 to £1.40 in the past 6 months. that's a significant increase, most other staples increasing sharply as well.

Am procrastinating when it comes to updating my online energy supplier with meter readings. That's going to be a painful bill.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:08pm
You are gonna see the cost of everything that comes from China rise, especially many will see when it come to Christmas. I'd advise buy your presents now if you know what the wee wans want. Container from China in the past was around 3k, now its 18k.
Chips don't bounce
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:14pm
Definitely going to try to eat cheaper, better, fresher food. Shopping bill has been ****ish lately 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

You are gonna see the cost of everything that comes from China rise, especially many will see when it come to Christmas. I'd advise buy your presents now if you know what the wee wans want. Container from China in the past was around 3k, now its 18k.

why?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

why?

There is a few things at play but the great bunch of lads have us by the bollix and know it.
last year it was due to the lack of containers in China and the Chinese were charging a fortune for the ones that they had. I heard of one company digging up old containers burried in the middle of nowhere, got their goods on a barge down to the port on the sly and paid some lad off to take them. This year it hasn't changed and the cost of fuel along with increase in paper/cardboard and manufacturing isn't gonna bring the prices down. Take your basic plastic toy, takes petroleum to make this product, add the cardboard/paper, increased labour costs, cost of the container (if its a big box you will get f**k all in a container) and shipping  costs(fuel for air/sea&road) and it fairly adds up. You will see prices increase up to 30% if not more. I do think we are over reliant on China for most of non food goods but there aren't many other options as other countries like India, Vietnam etc aren't up to scratch when it comes to quality.
Chips don't bounce
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:05pm
It's never a good idea to be relying on one source for most of your goods especially one where democracy is unheard of but another reason is the changing demographics in China where the population is forecasted to half by 2050. There's going to be a serious labour shortage in their factories in the not too distant future.

Edited by colemanY2K - 24 May 2022 at 9:06pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:07pm
airport parking up by about 30% since before the pandemic.
Everywhere you turn it’s just gone through the roof. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's never a good idea to be relying on one source for most of your goods especially one where democracy is unheard of but another reason is the changing demographics in China where the population is forecasted to half by 2050. There's going to be a serious labour shortage in their factories in the not too distant future.

By that stage I think many importers will have sourced elsewhere and alot closer to home to keep shipping costs down. Company I work with are investing heavily into their own factory to produce the goods that have doubled in price from China since last year.
Chips don't bounce
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

airport parking up by about 30% since before the pandemic.
Everywhere you turn it’s just gone through the roof. 

And unlikely to ever come back down. That’s it.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:54pm
Everyone is using covid as an excuse to hike up their prices.

Customer: 'A pint 6.50??'
Barman:  ''Covid caused a shortage in wheat.''

Or some such bollox
f**k right off
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Everyone is using covid as an excuse to hike up their prices.

Customer: 'A pint 6.50??'
Barman:  ''Covid caused a shortage in wheat.''

Or some such bollox
f**k right off
And if its not that, it'll be the war in Ukraine. Disapprove
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:15pm
You'd want about 100,000 euro up front to buy a house these days.

Edited by Jackal - 24 May 2022 at 10:31pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:17pm
Certainly seems to be some business people taking the piss, the old "never waste a crisis" mantra coming to the fore.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>
  Share Topic