You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Cost of Living Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Reminds me of this classic from Shaq. Still not sure if he's serious or not...

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 9:24am
LOL 1/2 of 80=20. Fact!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

With mortgage rates going down, anyone think they're in a better off position than 5 years ago?

I don't drive much so petrol doesn't impact me, Electricity is up €100/month or so but the mortgage probably cancels that increase.

Tesco has definitely gone up, routinely over €150 for a family shop, where it used to be about €100.

Fuel and food defo where the worst pain is felt. We have prepay gas and electricity and whereas you would get the whole month for 90 not so long ago on the electricy, it's about 140 (although I need to switch somewhere else to get back onto q better rate). Gas similar, going through about 6 quid a day. 
Don't have to fill the car as much with us both at home. It prob about 15 euro more to fill the car but only have to fill it once a month so not feeling it too bad.

Andy, those prepay plans are a scam. Ridiculous prices and fees. Get yourself off it ASAP and sign up to a 12 month level pay/equaliser plan. I recently switched to Electric Ireland, got €200 cash back and paying a lot less per unit. Youll pay a set amount a month for gas and leccy with an annual adjustment but you can also just ring up and stick a few quid on your account from time to time. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

With mortgage rates going down, anyone think they're in a better off position than 5 years ago?

I don't drive much so petrol doesn't impact me, Electricity is up €100/month or so but the mortgage probably cancels that increase.

Tesco has definitely gone up, routinely over €150 for a family shop, where it used to be about €100.

Fuel and food defo where the worst pain is felt. We have prepay gas and electricity and whereas you would get the whole month for 90 not so long ago on the electricy, it's about 140 (although I need to switch somewhere else to get back onto q better rate). Gas similar, going through about 6 quid a day. 
Don't have to fill the car as much with us both at home. It prob about 15 euro more to fill the car but only have to fill it once a month so not feeling it too bad.

Andy, those prepay plans are a scam. Ridiculous prices and fees. Get yourself off it ASAP and sign up to a 12 month level pay/equaliser plan. I recently switched to Electric Ireland, got €200 cash back and paying a lot less per unit. Youll pay a set amount a month for gas and leccy with an annual adjustment but you can also just ring up and stick a few quid on your account from time to time. 

Yeah I know. We had prepaid gas with bord gais since we got.the house as that was the meter that came with the house. Switched over to prepay last year sold it was a better deal but has turned out to be a nightmare (f**ker who installed the electricity box even dropped a tool and damaged me architrave, basically trouble from the get go). 
I'm through the contract so just need to get me finger out me hole.
Would need to pay to get a non prepare meter installed for the gas though. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:20pm
You sure you’d have to pay? Its Gas Networks Ireland that install the meters I thought, not the company you pay the bill to.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:08pm
CM mentioned his mrs upgrading in another thread and it got me wondering….when I say she upgraded, I mean her phone. 

Anyhow, I haven't bought a phone as part of a plan in almost 10 years Id guess. Had my last phone for over 4 years bought direct from the manufacturer for €400 and then had sim only plans ranging from €10-€15 during that time. 

My current phone I again bought for €400 pre covid and have had a sim only plan of €9.99. Roughly speaking, it works out at €18pm yet loads of people are happy to fork out an upfront fee to a network and then pay anything up to €50pm. I know youd need the money there and then to buy upfront but even so, there are plenty of bargains to be had on the likes of adverts and little phone repair shops on great phones without being tied to vodafone or whoever for 12/24 months.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:12pm

CM mentioned his mrs upgrading in another thread and it got me wondering….when I say she upgraded, I mean her phone. 

Anyhow, I haven't bought a phone as part of a plan in almost 10 years Id guess. Had my last phone for over 4 years bought direct from the manufacturer for €400 and then had sim only plans ranging from €10-€15 during that time. 

My current phone I again bought for €400 pre covid and have had a sim only plan of €9.99. Roughly speaking, it works out at €18pm yet loads of people are happy to fork out an upfront fee to a network and then pay anything up to €50pm. I know youd need the money there and then to buy upfront but even so, there are plenty of bargains to be had on the likes of adverts and little phone repair shops on great phones without being tied to vodafone or whoever for 12/24 months.
My missus does the same, buys a new iPhone for €600 or whatever it is, then goes for the sim-free plan. I've always gone for the €45/month for 24 months option. I know the maths works out better in the long run but I'd feel a once-off €600 more 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:28am

My missus does the same, buys a new iPhone for €600 or whatever it is, then goes for the sim-free plan. I've always gone for the €45/month for 24 months option. I know the maths works out better in the long run but I'd feel a once-off €600 more 

A second hand phone for much less and sim only is your only man.  Spending a grand or 600 on a phone either through a bill or upfront is madness.  Wouldn’t spend more than 200 to be honest. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

A second hand phone for much less and sim only is your only man.  Spending a grand or 600 on a phone either through a bill or upfront is madness.  Wouldn’t spend more than 200 to be honest. 
What would ya get for that?

Phone plays a fairly big part of my life at this stage so I'm happy to spend the fiver a week or whatever it works out at
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:41am

swappie is your only man.

2nd hand phone which looks brand new for a fraction of the price

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

swappie is your only man.

2nd hand phone which looks brand new for a fraction of the price

+1

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 10:20am
Used refurbed.ie at Christmas for the daughters phone. Phone was like brand new so yeah any time I need a new phone I'll just go down that route and sim only
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:13am
exactly lads.  We buy second hand cars why wouldn’t we buy second hand phones.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:23am

Used refurbed.ie at Christmas for the daughters phone. Phone was like brand new so yeah any time I need a new phone I'll just go down that route and sim only

I’m on the lookout for a new phone and came across this site. I’ve never bought a refurbished phone in the past so I’m a bit reluctant. I’m looking for an IPhone 11 and refurbed seems to have good deals. No issues with them?
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

I’m on the lookout for a new phone and came across this site. I’ve never bought a refurbished phone in the past so I’m a bit reluctant. I’m looking for an IPhone 11 and refurbed seems to have good deals. No issues with them?

I got 3 second hand phones from swappie and they all looked brand new. You'd never think they were second hand.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 1:49pm

Warranty is a big thing for me! Have a phone that I bought with 3 contract 16 months ago which stopped working, it was costing over £300 to fix but I was covered with warranty so didn’t cost me anything and got a complete new phone out of it. 
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Warranty is a big thing for me! Have a phone that I bought with 3 contract 16 months ago which stopped working, it was costing over £300 to fix but I was covered with warranty so didn’t cost me anything and got a complete new phone out of it. 

12 month warranty with Swappie too, same as you'd get with a brand new iphone. I'm a convert too, ordered one and it arrived in 3 days.

As an aside, steer clear of the fonefix/eir-store.ie/eir.ie refurbs. The swappie order was to replace one I got from eir, supposedly like new and wouldn't charge. 3 months later still waiting for them to refund me.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

12 month warranty with Swappie too, same as you'd get with a brand new iphone. I'm a convert too, ordered one and it arrived in 3 days.

As an aside, steer clear of the fonefix/eir-store.ie/eir.ie refurbs. The swappie order was to replace one I got from eir, supposedly like new and wouldn't charge. 3 months later still waiting for them to refund me.

12 month warranty wouldn’t have covered me, my network provider cover the second year which certainly came in handy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 39>
  Share Topic