You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The cork gaa stadium would be close no? I know part of it is currently standing but maybe they could upgrade to safe standing or something. 

I know the stadium has some other logistical issues though

Would need huge work to meet UEFA standards. 

Yeah but I wonder the cost and realistic of it being completed on time versus building casement? 

Would be great to keep more games on the island versus shifting to Briton..it would also add more weight to us getting the automatic place.

Borussia is quite correect aboiut the huge expenditure needed for Cork, and with Cork GAA already heavily in debt, would the government really shell out millions to have a 3rd venue in ROI for an additional 4 or 5 games, for a stadium which would then be far more than Cork GAA needed?

(Don't know the answer to that myself).

As for Casement, if it could physically be built in time (completely up-in-the-air at this stage), then I've no doubt that all the interested parties (IFA, GAA, Stormont, Belfast City Council, even Westminster) would push for it to be used.

But in truth, I'd say you'd need to see clear progress on the grounf by 2026; which would mean starting the work by 2024/25; which iwould also mean Stormont finally getting its head from out its arse by next year (latest).

And I wouldn't be at all confident about that last happening.

P.S. With Cork, UEFA would also demand complete control of the stadium for the duration of games being played there (3 weeks in total?). Would the GAA permit that? And even if they were willing (for the money), could they do so in the middle of the GAA season? Is there an alternative stadium in Munster which they could use?

For Cork GAA and the GAA cash is king.
Alternative venues for 3 weekends is no issue. They have already set the wheels in montion for events like this in Paric 
Ui chaoimh with Munster Vs South Africa taking place there in November 

Edited by Fruice - 11 Oct 2022 at 1:55pm
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 2:15pm

I would feel a little guilty getting automatic qualification for having two stadiums and e.g. 10 games where non-England UK countries have 1 stadium and e.g. 4 games each. 
It would be great, don't get me wrong and definitely 5 countries should not automatically qualify but still, if i was from Scotland, Wales or even other European countries I would be a little cheesed off. 

I wonder if Casement is not ready could we use another ROI stadium? At least then we have 3 stadiums and 14 games or something

Can count themselves lucky to even have football teams.

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I would feel a little guilty getting automatic qualification for having two stadiums and e.g. 10 games where non-England UK countries have 1 stadium and e.g. 4 games each. 
It would be great, don't get me wrong and definitely 5 countries should not automatically qualify but still, if i was from Scotland, Wales or even other European countries I would be a little cheesed off. 

I wonder if Casement is not ready could we use another ROI stadium? At least then we have 3 stadiums and 14 games or something

Careful now..you will have Terri onto you!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The cork gaa stadium would be close no? I know part of it is currently standing but maybe they could upgrade to safe standing or something. 

I know the stadium has some other logistical issues though

Would need huge work to meet UEFA standards. 

Yeah but I wonder the cost and realistic of it being completed on time versus building casement? 

Would be great to keep more games on the island versus shifting to Briton..it would also add more weight to us getting the automatic place.

Borussia is quite correect aboiut the huge expenditure needed for Cork, and with Cork GAA already heavily in debt, would the government really shell out millions to have a 3rd venue in ROI for an additional 4 or 5 games, for a stadium which would then be far more than Cork GAA needed?

(Don't know the answer to that myself).

As for Casement, if it could physically be built in time (completely up-in-the-air at this stage), then I've no doubt that all the interested parties (IFA, GAA, Stormont, Belfast City Council, even Westminster) would push for it to be used.

But in truth, I'd say you'd need to see clear progress on the grounf by 2026; which would mean starting the work by 2024/25; which iwould also mean Stormont finally getting its head from out its arse by next year (latest).

And I wouldn't be at all confident about that last happening.

P.S. With Cork, UEFA would also demand complete control of the stadium for the duration of games being played there (3 weeks in total?). Would the GAA permit that? And even if they were willing (for the money), could they do so in the middle of the GAA season? Is there an alternative stadium in Munster which they could use?

There's plenty of alternative stadiums down that part of the country for GAA - Fitzgerald, Semple, Gaelic Grounds. But none of that will change the reality that PuC is absolutely miles off the standard needed to host the Euros. It's not just the terraces, the extent of media provision, hospitality etc that UEFA would demand isn't there either. They'd nearly need to rebuild the two new stands as well as fix the terraces, which themselves are huge and wrap right around the four corners of the ground. It's a complete nonstarter.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:23pm
Cork was just an example based on capacity. There could be a more suitable option.

Casement would obviously be best option for the GAA but seems like NI politics getting in the way.
Maybe as part of the border poll campaign we can take inspiration from the Trump campaign and promise to "build the stadium"

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:31pm
I'd love to see games in Cork, but it's not a suitable stadium at all.

You could get the capacity up with temporary seating over the terrace like they had in Russia, but even then, there's a lot of hoops to get it up to the UEFA standard
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:32pm
UEFA/FIFA have been flexible with temporary seating, stands and media facilities for tournaments in the past. 

Most grounds used for Internationals around Europe that are built for standing lash in temporary bucket seating like we used to on the terraces in Lansdowne before it was pulled down.

Media facilities for some stadiums used in tournaments have literally been a car park full of shipping containers!

Pairc Ui Chaoimh certainly wouldn't be out of the question if it came down to it.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

You could say the same about....    

... England Wink
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There's plenty of alternative stadiums down that part of the country for GAA - Fitzgerald, Semple, Gaelic Grounds. But none of that will change the reality that PuC is absolutely miles off the standard needed to host the Euros. It's not just the terraces, the extent of media provision, hospitality etc that UEFA would demand isn't there either. They'd nearly need to rebuild the two new stands as well as fix the terraces, which themselves are huge and wrap right around the four corners of the ground. It's a complete nonstarter.

Which leaves the question of whether the Irish government would be prepared to stump up the extra (many) millions needed. Because I can't see any way the GAA could, whether locally or from HQ.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:39pm

Cork was just an example based on capacity. There could be a more suitable option.

Casement would obviously be best option for the GAA but seems like NI politics getting in the way.
Maybe as part of the border poll campaign we can take inspiration from the Trump campaign and promise to "build the stadium"

Er, wasn't Trump's pledge to build a wall?

Along a border? LOL
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:51pm
Semple Stadium won't be up to UEFAs standards
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

UEFA/FIFA have been flexible with temporary seating, stands and media facilities for tournaments in the past. 

Most grounds used for Internationals around Europe that are built for standing lash in temporary bucket seating like we used to on the terraces in Lansdowne before it was pulled down.

Media facilities for some stadiums used in tournaments have literally been a car park full of shipping containers!

Pairc Ui Chaoimh certainly wouldn't be out of the question if it came down to it.
FIFA allowed Putin to add a massive temporary stand for one stadium amongst 12, eased no doubt by an extra few dollars in the old brown envelope.

I can't see UEFA doing the same for the FAI, especially when there are a dozen other suitable stadia already available in England alone.

While more generally, in return for awarding tournament finals to governments, who benefit from the prestige and tourism etc, FIFA/UEFA expect that those governments will invest in new or modernised stadia which will leave a legacy for football for years to come - see eg the fine stadia they have in Poland and Ukraine..

Conversely, UEFA don't give a stuff about helping other sports like GAA.

While in the same vein, even disregarding that temporary stand for WC2018, the overall development still left Ekaterinberg  with a 23k stadium which was bigger - and better - than they actually needed, post-Finals:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5782369/Temporary-stand-Ekaterinburg-Arena-completed-World-Cup.html

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:10pm

Not so, if only for the requirment that host cities be served by a major international airport, meaning that in ROI, only Dublin and Cork qualify. (I'm dsicounting Shannon. And Knock. And Farranfore)

Indeed for major games, they actually require two airports per city, so that visiting supporters can be segregated. (I seem to recall that the Millennium Stadium in Wales was disqualified - from a CL final? - because they weren't allowed tto use Bristol Airport along with Cardiff, despite it only being 25 miles up the road.)

While after London, Belfast is the only other city in the UK with two international airports, one of them named after a footballer, to boot!

Politics with a big "P" (ie. Stormont) certainly.

But for politics with a small "p" (Football/Sport), there is a rare and pleasing concensus behind it.

Along a border? LOL

Edited by Territorial - 11 Oct 2022 at 4:13pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Turkey prop up Northern Cyprus, which is an illegal entity, so hopefully UEFA continue to ignore them.

Britain do that for Northern Ireland so hopefully UEFA will tell this bid to shove it too Thumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:21pm

Not so, if only for the requirment that host cities be served by a major international airport, meaning that in ROI, only Dublin and Cork qualify. (I'm dsicounting Shannon. And Knock. And Farranfore)

Indeed for major games, they actually require two airports per city, so that visiting supporters can be segregated. (I seem to recall that the Millennium Stadium in Wales was disqualified - from a CL final? - because they weren't allowed tto use Bristol Airport along with Cardiff, despite it only being 25 miles up the road.)

While after London, Belfast is the only other city in the UK with two international airports, one of them named after a footballer, to boot!

Politics with a big "P" (ie. Stormont) certainly.

But for politics with a small "p" (Football/Sport), there is a rare and pleasing concensus behind it.

Along a border? LOL

Belfast international is hardky an international airport nevermind the city LOLLOL
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm

FIFA allowed Putin to add a massive temporary stand for one stadium amongst 12, eased no doubt by an extra few dollars in the old brown envelope.

I can't see UEFA doing the same for the FAI, especially when there are a dozen other suitable stadia already available in England alone.

While more generally, in return for awarding tournament finals to governments, who benefit from the prestige and tourism etc, FIFA/UEFA expect that those governments will invest in new or modernised stadia which will leave a legacy for football for years to come - see eg the fine stadia they have in Poland and Ukraine..

While in the same vein, even disregarding that temporary stand for WC2018, the overall development still left Ekaterinberg  with a 23k stadium which was bigger - and better - than they actually needed, post-Finals:

2 stadiums in Russia 2018 had temporary stands, as did incomplete stadiums in Brazil 2014.

Other stadiums in South Africa 2010 and Qatar 2022 have been built modular to reduce capacities after the tournaments or remove them completely. Thats including one made up entirely of shipping containers and scaffolding!

As for UEFA, they've allowed temporary stands and seating in tournaments already as well some venues being modular constructed expanded.

Poland 2012 was a bit of an exception where they had 4 new stadiums rebuilt.

Austria/Switzerland 2008 had low capacity stadiums temporary expanded, as did Portugal in 2004 and Netherlands/Belgium in 2000.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh doesn't even need a temporary stand or expansion. They'd easily get away installing bucket seating on terraces as I already mentioned they do regularly across Europe for tournaments and Internationals.

..and as I said, media facilities for some tournaments have literally been a car park full of shipping containers and media trucks. Something they could too get away with.

Edited by Bandwagon - 11 Oct 2022 at 4:26pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:37pm

2 stadiums in Russia 2018 had temporary stands, as did incomplete stadiums in Brazil 2014.

Other stadiums in South Africa 2010 and Qatar 2022 have been built modular to reduce capacities after the tournaments or remove them completely. Thats including one made up entirely of shipping containers and scaffolding!

As for UEFA, they've allowed temporary stands and seating in tournaments already as well some venues being modular constructed expanded.

Poland 2012 was a bit of an exception where they had 4 new stadiums rebuilt.

Austria/Switzerland 2008 had low capacity stadiums temporary expanded, as did Portugal in 2004 and Netherlands/Belgium in 2000.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh doesn't even need a temporary stand or expansion. They'd easily get away installing bucket seating on terraces as I already mentioned they do regularly across Europe for tournaments and Internationals.

..and as I said, media facilities for some tournaments have literally been a car park full of shipping containers and media trucks. Something they could too get away with.

Bucket seats haven't been used in tournaments in decades - Not a hope they would be allowed again.
Hospitality would need to be included in the stadium as it currently doesn't have anything suitable.
And the media facilities are not just containers outside.
As mentioned above, for PuC to get up to standard would need a partial rebuild. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:56pm
EIRE would have to build another purpose built stadium in Cork as the only solution. 
Even Croke Park is not really suitable given the size of the pitch.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 28>
  Share Topic