You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:16pm
I'm guessing Croker is a backup if (when) Casement falls through
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:23pm
If a tournament is sustainable and successful there will be wider benefits. I will admit to being a little underwhelmed at the single stadium contribution by the FAI. Not only is Wembley the biggest, Spurs’ ground, and the Principality are the two best stadiums on the slate. So unless Ireland is carved out under some agreement, or Croke Park steps in at some stage, it’s unlikely we’ll have much more than games up to the QF.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:41pm
50k would be small for a SF really
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:54pm
How come London have 2 stadiums? I thought there was some rule about only being able to have one per city?
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

How come London have 2 stadiums? I thought there was some rule about only being able to have one per city?
was the same for euro2016 but the french used Paris and Saint Denis. both are Paris though
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:17pm
I honestly couldn't care less if this bid fails. Looks like it is sewn up even before the bid goes in though
The process is complete biased towards big nations. England just held a tournament and they are basically hosting this too. The one city "rule" applies to Dublin but not London... yet we have never held a tournament. I mean make it make sense how they come up with that nonsense. It is not contradiction it is just hierarchy

We should not put our name behind a tournament we don't auto qualify for. No doubt our English CEO thinks this is brilliant. 

giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:33pm
I'm not a fan of the bid either but think the one city rule not applying to the final venue is relatively common (Euro 2016, World Cup 2010/2018 and maybe others).

We will likely only host 4 games (out of 51). All of the non-English venues combined will host around 35% of games. It's tokenism, just like the US including Mexico and Canada in their 2026 bid.

The question for me really is whether this is better than not being involved at all, and that boils down to the legacy of the tournament. If its just hosting 4 games in our best stadium and nothing else happens around it, then its a failure in my opinion. If some of the funds are used to develop other stadiums, facilities etc then it will be a worthwhile exercise (Dalymount redevelopment was linked to Euro 2020 hosting at one point).
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:53pm
What is the point of the FAI being involved in this bid? All it does is highlight the infrastructural neglect football has endured for decades in this country at the hands of the authorities.

And why England wants this also strange. They could easily host this tournament by themselves. Why the hell would anybody actively seek the aid of the FAI in anything?!

The Turks never seem to be able to win these things, but maybe they can muster a sympathy vote this time around.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:57pm
Did I read we would have gained automatic qualification with 2 stadiums? I guess we will have to qualify for the tournament we are partially hosting now haha.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 4:21pm
Do they just tag on other nations as it'll make it easier to get votes to secure the hosting? 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 5:22pm
It’s about reducing risk and increasing votes for the English.  
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 6:38pm
What would be the call if casement doesn't make it I wonder? Is croker (another GAA stadium) the back up?

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

Think the city size comes into it. No problem for London but Dublin would be stretched.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 7:57pm
I wonder will Ireland bottling out of hosting games at Euro 2020 in 2021 influence the bid ? 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I wonder will Ireland bottling out of hosting games at Euro 2020 in 2021 influence the bid ? 

Probably if Gemma O Doherty or Sports Gemma get on the UEFA board. 
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 8:04pm
It is a little dispointing if we had 2 stadia then we could have likely pushed for the 2nd automatic spot.

Croker being only 3 quarters built looking probably didn't help
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Probably if Gemma O Doherty or Sports Gemma get on the UEFA board. 
Would be a funny way to scupper the Brirs bid al the same..

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It is a little dispointing if we had 2 stadia then we could have likely pushed for the 2nd automatic spot.

Croker being only 3 quarters built looking probably didn't help

Or they wanted each country besides England to contribute one stadium each. Likely one group based in Ireland and if Casement fails to be built they use Croke Park as back up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 28>
  Share Topic