You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Seeing the success of the Munster game in Parc Ui Chaoimh last week hopefully some logical thinking could prevail and a new multi purpose stadium be built in Galway for all sport with a 40,000 capacity and PUC be upgraded to a 40,000 all seater so we could host 2 groups and some knock out games.  I live in Armagh, but would love to see Ireland games played in different parts of the country to boost the game going forward.  

The idea sounds nice but it would never work sadly.

There's 3 Stadiums based in Galway City right now

Pearse Stadium (26,197) - has rarely ever been filled for a Gaelic Football or Hurling encounter. Absolutely plagued by traffic problems on match day that brings the entire city to a standstill.

Sportsground (8'129) - would sell out fairly regularly, but if the capacity was doubled for arguments sake, then Connacht Rugby would struggle to fill it. Also owned by Irish Greyhound Racing 

Eamonn Deacy Park (5'000) - the best playing surface in the county by a mile, but I can only recall one fixture that came close to the 5'000 capacity (2015 League Cup Final) - Owned by the Galway FA, who are threatening to turn the surface into Astro.

If you got rid of all three and put one 40k stadium in the city with each key stakeholder involved, there'd be no hope of filling it on a regular basis. 

One of the reasons I thoroughly enjoyed the failed Irish bid to host next years Rugby World Cup was because it's "bullet-proof" plan never really addressed the problems we have as a country. It simply just assumed we'll convert GAA stadiums into Rugby stadiums and we'll be grand.

It failed to acknowledge that we have no proper public transport, lack of accommodation outside of Dublin (could only imagine trying to book a hotel in Galway on the weekend of a Group stage encounter), not to mention we arguably rip off tourists to a large degree.

The idea of hosting a tournament sounds a lot better without looking into it in greater detail. MayoMark is 100% right that 135 million would be far better spent in the next 6 years on grasroots football. Even if we invested that much into developing multi-sport all weather facilities across the country, we'd reap the benefits of this much more than 3 weeks of football in 2028 that 1 quarter of which would involve our island.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Sponsored Links

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 3:03pm

That would cost about half a billion quid, there was never any chance of anything like that happening for this.
[/QUOTE]

A decent stadium will have to be built eventually and the price will always go up, so do it now as opposed to when it will cost 1bn!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 3:47pm
I dread to think what hotel prices woukd be 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 3:48pm

Seeing the success of the Munster game in Parc Ui Chaoimh last week hopefully some logical thinking could prevail and a new multi purpose stadium be built in Galway for all sport with a 40,000 capacity and PUC be upgraded to a 40,000 all seater so we could host 2 groups and some knock out games.  I live in Armagh, but would love to see Ireland games played in different parts of the country to boost the game going forward.  

I agree but not for this competition.

Honestly i cant see any Mens seniors games ever being played outside of Dublin unless its to celebrate a new stadium opening.  I know Ireland played in turners cross but i cant see that ever happening again.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 3:54pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That would cost about half a billion quid, there was never any chance of anything like that happening for this.

A decent stadium will have to be built eventually and the price will always go up, so do it now as opposed to when it will cost 1bn!  

There are no professional sports teams outside of Dublin who have the pull to fill a stadium of that size on a regular basis. Even Munster Rugby, who would probably be the biggest, don't get anywhere near to capacity at Thomond outside of a few big games a year. Same with the GAA, the crowds are only there for a small handful of games from May to July each year. So a 40k seated UEFA standard stadium will never be built outside of Dublin.

What is actually needed is a number of properly built 10k to 20k stadiums, dotted around the country, that cater for multiple sports, including football. For instance a good quality 12k stadium in Sligo would be perfect for Sligo Rovers and Sligo GAA to share, as well as hosting the odd Connacht rugby game. But that's irrelevant to the Euros because those stadiums would be too small to host a major tournament.

Long story short, the cities and towns around Ireland just aren't big enough to host this kind of thing.

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Nov 2022 at 3:56pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 4:08pm
I'm very confused - Why are we spending €135 mill on the Euros when this forum told me that all you'd need to do was fire in a few portable seats into Pearse Park in Longford??
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 5:19pm
Spending 135m and getting nothing back would be a bag thing. But if they are talking about a 200m net profit you would hope that most of that money should be used around the country to improve the facilities. 

The government know they need to help if we are ever going to upgrade the LOI facilities up to a decent standard, we have seen how much Rovers havd progressed largely helped by the stadium built by south dublin county council. 
There should be a plan in place if we get awarded the competition that they money is invested in a fund that can be used for improving LOI grounds and academies
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 5:40pm
Where is the 200m profit coming from though? Don't UEFA keep all sponsorship and ticketing money? Maybe that was FIFA though could be wrong. Is it not more of a 200m bonus to the local economy kind of thing. Not sure I'm too delighted for the Dublin hoteliers. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Where is the 200m profit coming from though? Don't UEFA keep all sponsorship and ticketing money? Maybe that was FIFA though could be wrong. Is it not more of a 200m bonus to the local economy kind of thing. Not sure I'm too delighted for the Dublin hoteliers. 

Net profit to the economy / exchequer so therefore a fund of similar side should b put aside for improving the game in ireland as a legacy ticket 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Net profit to the economy / exchequer so therefore a fund of similar side should b put aside for improving the game in ireland as a legacy ticket 

Yeah there's more chance of us winning the bloody thing than that happening. The legacy ticket will be the knees up that those in charge will have celebrating having games from a major tournament played here.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Yeah there's more chance of us winning the bloody thing than that happening. The legacy ticket will be the knees up that those in charge will have celebrating having games from a major tournament played here.

Well I would put that on media and TDs to put pressure to make sure there is a legacy created from the tournament. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 3:59am
Us hosting the odd game will have no knock-on for our league or grassroots. 

It's a popularity contest, no matter what Jack Chambers says the benefits are.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:13am

Well I would put that on media and TDs to put pressure to make sure there is a legacy created from the tournament. 

Yeah the Euro 2020 bid was supposed to include a new Dalymount which never happened
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:24am

Sure TDs will be the ones front and centre of the knees up, and it's not like they give a f**k about the game here. To those in government and many others it's just a hobby sport.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:46am
Out out of the projected spend, how much will be going towards refurb of Croke Park? 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:48am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Out out of the projected spend, how much will be going towards refurb of Croke Park? 

Most of it likely. That was in in one article rte had up.

"Minor works would be required at the Aviva Stadium, but more extensive works would be carried out at Croke Park"

Edited by J89 - 17 Nov 2022 at 9:49am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:54am
So the legacy for hosting games in the Euros would be the GAA getting a free facelift for their main ground. Lovely
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:59am

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Is there a chance we get in automatically as host if we are successful

Talk was they were gonna try and ask for two spots which one would go to England and talk the other to us because we've provided the second most stadiums if both were used.

Thought I heard mentioned that they would do Qualifying as Normal and anyone who didn't qualify automatically would have spots saved for them as a sort of back up, obviously if all teams didn't qualify they would go to the highest ranked or whatever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>
  Share Topic