You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:59pm
I don't want to see England host another tournament. They, along with Scotland, basically hosted Euro 2020.

They usually end up going close to winning it whenever they host a tournament. My heart can't take that stress again.

It's coming Rome!

In an ideal world, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland could host a tournament together. But the stadium infrastructure just isn't there. It would take renovations of current stadia and the building of some new ones between us. 

The Aviva Stadium, Croke Park, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Casement Park, Murrayfield, Hampden Park, Ibrox, and Celtic Park.

Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Edinburgh and Glasgow as host cities.

The two GAA stadiums would need to be altered to accommodate more seating instead of standing.
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:07pm
Can see Old Trafford getting knocked off the list, concourse is run down a bit 

Croke Park could be considered the same and then you have to add in all the work needed for 'soccer configuration'
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:12pm
Wouldn't be too excited about the prospect of a hosting, seems like the only facilities that would be improved would be the two GAA stadia so not sure what legacy it would leave for Irish football. Would much rather go to Turkey or any other bidders for a couple weeks than play 3 games in Dublin. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:17pm
The second auto qualification place for this will be very interesting. We're obviously going for it with the two stadiums in use and the likelihood that, if we're not there, you'd almost certainly end up with a good number of game played on an island with no direct involvement in the tournament. 

But the last I heard the Welsh were trying to change it to the spot going to the best ranked non-qualifier, to try and increase their own chances of getting to the tournament. 

But there's a big difference between the Welsh not being there and us not being there. If the Welsh aren't playing the English will just pop across the border from Bristol etc and it won't really feel any different. Whereas if we're not there it will really impact of the sizeable part of the tournament to be played in Ireland.
cwh2018 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwh2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:19pm
Was never keen on us hosting a tournament, always seen it as a waste of money.  I always associated tournaments with the host country not us. I don't think croke park should be in- the tournament will be taking place during the gaa season. 

From a legacy point of view the FAI using funds to help build 2 8,500 capacity grounds for boys and pats would be better use of funds
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Wouldn't be too excited about the prospect of a hosting, seems like the only facilities that would be improved would be the two GAA stadia so not sure what legacy it would leave for Irish football. Would much rather go to Turkey or any other bidders for a couple weeks than play 3 games in Dublin. 

There won't be much for the GAA here other than the rental fee for Croke Park. Croker doesn't need much upgrading, anything done there would mostly be temporary stuff to put seats on the Hill if required. Casement won't be involved in this when it comes to it.

Hosting obviously makes a massive difference if we auto qualify. Much better to play at home than not be involved at all in Turkey.

Anyway there's no chance UEFA will give this to Turkey. It's all but a done deal that Ireland and Britain are getting the tournament.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:25pm
The 2020 outcome kinda has downed my spirits on this. Sounds great looking forward to it, buy tickets, then as we get there realise hosting group stage games teams like Poland, Sweden and Slovakia. If Ireland qualify I want an away trip, not another day out at the Aviva.

Would much prefer the money to be spent on upgrading all the LOI grounds with basic facilities.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:26pm
Seeing the success of the Munster game in Parc Ui Chaoimh last week hopefully some logical thinking could prevail and a new multi purpose stadium be built in Galway for all sport with a 40,000 capacity and PUC be upgraded to a 40,000 all seater so we could host 2 groups and some knock out games.  I live in Armagh, but would love to see Ireland games played in different parts of the country to boost the game going forward.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The 2020 outcome kinda has downed my spirits on this. Sounds great looking forward to it, buy tickets, then as we get there realise hosting group stage games teams like Poland, Sweden and Slovakia. If Ireland qualify I want an away trip, not another day out at the Aviva.

Would much prefer the money to be spent on upgrading all the LOI grounds with basic facilities.

There's F all being spent on this on the Irish side. Stadiums are built and ready to go.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:27pm
€135 million of a cost associated with this apparently. I'd much prefer to see that ploughed into grassroots and LOI facilities to be honest
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Seeing the success of the Munster game in Parc Ui Chaoimh last week hopefully some logical thinking could prevail and a new multi purpose stadium be built in Galway for all sport with a 40,000 capacity and PUC be upgraded to a 40,000 all seater so we could host 2 groups and some knock out games.  I live in Armagh, but would love to see Ireland games played in different parts of the country to boost the game going forward.  

That would cost about half a billion quid, there was never any chance of anything like that happening for this.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

€135 million of a cost associated with this apparently. I'd much prefer to see that ploughed into grassroots and LOI facilities to be honest

That's only a fraction of the projected income for the country from hosting - the projection is for a net profit of about €200m from hosting. So it's not a case that this money can be ploughed into grassroots or facilities or whatever, it doesn't work like that.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:36pm
Yes I understand that. But sorry I'm not getting overly excited about the return for the Dublin economy. It will have feck all effect on a countrywide basis would be my guess.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:59pm

Yes I understand that. But sorry I'm not getting overly excited about the return for the Dublin economy. It will have feck all effect on a countrywide basis would be my guess.

They did talk about legacy. You would hope part of that should be into upgrading soccer facilities and not just a an FAI vanity project 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 2:04pm

Agreed. Anyone any idea on how this €135 will be spent?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Probably to upgrade certain things within Croke Park and the Aviva which would be needed to host a major tournament.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

How many votes do you need to win the bid? €135 divided by that amount 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That's only a fraction of the projected income for the country from hosting - the projection is for a net profit of about €200m from hosting. So it's not a case that this money can be ploughed into grassroots or facilities or whatever, it doesn't work like that.
Those projections are a joke. Dublin in June would have full hotels rooms anyway, it's not like it's tourists coming into hotels/pubs that would otherwise be empty. 

Added to that, if Ireland qualify there'll be far less travelling fans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 28>
  Share Topic