You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK
    Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:09am
We're proposing to host it along with NI, Scotland, Wales and England. World Cup 2030 bid officially withdrawn.

Not clear whether that would mean automatic qualification but, as it is likely to be a 32 team tournament by then, automatic qualification might not be that big a benefit anyway compared to previously.

Edited by nvidic - 04 Oct 2023 at 10:42am
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:11am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

We're proposing to host it along with NI, Scotland, Wales and England. World Cup 2030 bid officially withdrawn.

Not clear whether that would mean automatic qualification but, as it is likely to be a 32 team tournament by then, automatic qualification might not be that big a benefit anyway compared to previously.

Kids like Young Doherty should be hitting his peak around then
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:13am
Invest in the league? Invest in youth structures? 
Nah f**k it, we need a glamour event Clap

brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:15am
Where in the north would be hosting a match? The redeveloped Casement?
City Till I Die
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

North would be hosting training bases rather than games according to an article last week

Edited by Denis Irwin - 07 Feb 2022 at 10:16am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:20am
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Would be ironic if the using the GAA facilities was the only way NI could host games. 

GSTQ blaring out at Casement though - surely not going to happen.

I couldn't see them hosting any games.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:02am
What is the obsession with hosting tournaments? Everyone's involvement is to sugar coat the fact that it's really just an English bid. Nice to see some things in the FAI don't change Confused

Put money into grassroots and LOI yiz dopes. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:23am
Looking forward to 2 years of people suggesting Thurlas as a venue
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

What is the obsession with hosting tournaments? Everyone's involvement is to sugar coat the fact that it's really just an English bid. Nice to see some things in the FAI don't change Confused

I would hope that this would be a cash generator and push government investment. It would have its own separate additional budget and would not touch existing human resource availability. Also it might kick start investment into the LOI and the youth structures.

However my nightmare scenario is that this eats into already scarce resources, either cash wise or peoples time, that should be focused on our structures, academies and the LOI.

This could be a great thing in bringing football in this country to a different level or it could be a disaster if it causes any reduction in our current resources. We are a good country at hosting events so I am currently 51-49 in favour of this but .............. lots more detail needed.

It's not me it's you:-)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Invest in the league? Invest in youth structures? 
Nah f**k it, we need a glamour event Clap

If the bid is successful, I hope and pray that there is no measles outbreak or we would be the only host nation instructed to withdraw again from hosting games...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Looking forward to 2 years of people suggesting Thurlas as a venue

Lol.

I wouldn’t for a second rule put us supplying a single venue which will host 5/6 matches. I fully expect it to be England led.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:38am
No one in UEFA wants to give England anything. This is doomed to failure. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:52am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

No one in UEFA wants to give England anything. This is doomed to failure. 

Depends on what it is up against. England can easily do it on their own but the UK government investing in an English only bid, I guess the politicians in Wales, Scotland and the North don't look too kindly on that and why they want to include the others officially. Then if you having it on both islands, might as throw us in as well. That must be the thinking behind it.

If we come up against a Russia or Italy, then maybe we could be screwed as a bid. But if the opposition is a Balkan bid, Romania, Greece, Bulgaria,  Scandinavian or Turkey, then I think the bid would have a good chance to win. 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Probably some serious FOMO after the Dublin's Euro 2020 games were moved to St Petersburg. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:59am
not a fan of this at all either england hosting it , or glasgow or cardiff nor our partiicipation 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:06pm
Competition will come from Turkey and Italy bids you'd imagine.

Turkey have bid for the last 5, i suppose UEFA might consider them this time around.

Italians also expressed interest, would be hilarious if they pipped the English to both the Euros title and hosting rights LOL

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:10pm
put money into the domestic game at all levels .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Competition will come from Turkey and Italy bids you'd imagine.

Turkey have bid for the last 5, i suppose UEFA might consider them this time around.

Italians also expressed interest, would be hilarious if they pipped the English to both the Euros title and hosting rights LOL

Turkey won't get it. Sure they came up with the multi host format just to avoid giving it to them as no other single country was willing to bid at the time. LOL

Edited by Denis Irwin - 07 Feb 2022 at 12:14pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic