Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK
    Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 6:36pm
If the cost from the original signed off commitments has increased by say 50 % ?  then all stakeholders need to increase their contribution by 50% and that includes the GAA 

Personally it’s a steal for the  GAA  and the money could be better spent but thems the breaks 

It not either governments fault it got bogged down in planning 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Repeats again. This fund was part of the agreement to restore Stormont.

Targeting the spend at projects that benefit the South and Southern interests as much as possible is making best use of that.

Pardon my ignorance, but was it ringfenced for Casement? If so the debate is pointless.

No. But I imagine there was some realpolitik about what it was seen to be used for and A "green" project that delivers the euros and a gaa ground in Belfast, plus a road that will be huge for Donegal are advantageous.

Plus, it pulls the rug from under the DUP by making Casement very likely to happen. They love nothing more than to take every opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Concerts, Euros, overnight stays, VAT, restaurant and pub sales are obviously part of the fenian conspiracy.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Spending £220 million at the most recent estimate on a stadium for Ulster and Antrim GAA is madness. The reason it is costing that much is it is being built to UEFA five star standards. All they need is a 35,000 capacity stadium like Clones. They will get that for well under £100 million.

Are you a DUP voter?
No! This development only has committed funding of £120 million so it can’t be built without Jeremy Hunt coughing up another £100 million. The NI annual infrastructure budget is only £500 million so it is hard to see why a white elephant stadium should get 20% of that if was paid for in one year. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Targeting the spend at projects that benefit the South and Southern interests as much as possible is making best use of that.

Pardon my ignorance, but was it ringfenced for Casement? If so the debate is pointless.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:39pm

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

50 million quid is not nothing. And it's certainly not that beneficial to anyone outside Belfast/Antrim nevermind in the Republic. 

Our health service and housing availability are falling apart. Look at the state of Limerick Hospital, scary stuff I'm sure a chunk of money could surely turn that hospital into a functioning first world country one instead of what is currently happening by all reports. 

In the context of a country with revenues of circa 10 billion a year, committing 50 million to a multi-year project is peanuts. I hate how tribal fans of Irish sport are, anything GAA related is b*tched about by football fans and vice versa. It's a weird situation when you have Irish football people fanboying over Loyalist objections to investment in Irish sport, I'd go as far as to say it's embarrassing.

I think people can ask question about expenditure of that magnitude without being clubbed together with people whose concerns may have less to do with sports. It is taxpayers money funding something that is in essence capable of being built without resorting to public funds. I think the state was always going to have to enter the fray, but 50 million is a considerable sum of money for stadium redevelopment for a shared tournament.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

50 million quid is not nothing. And it's certainly not that beneficial to anyone outside Belfast/Antrim nevermind in the Republic. 

Our health service and housing availability are falling apart. Look at the state of Limerick Hospital, scary stuff I'm sure a chunk of money could surely turn that hospital into a functioning first world country one instead of what is currently happening by all reports. 

In the context of a country with revenues of circa 10 billion a year, committing 50 million to a multi-year project is peanuts. I hate how tribal fans of Irish sport are, anything GAA related is b*tched about by football fans and vice versa. It's a weird situation when you have Irish football people fanboying over Loyalist objections to investment in Irish sport, I'd go as far as to say it's embarrassing.

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Feb 2024 at 1:46pm
We're decent enough..
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:33pm

Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:29pm
It will be a white elephant just look at Pairce Ui Caoimh and the attendances Cork footballers get. 

How many times has PUC even been sold out outside a couple of rugby fixtures? GAA attendances are in decline and certainly not anywhere good enough for these stadiums. And I'm a big GAA supporter. Before throwing hundreds of millions away lets see some evidence this stadium will actually sell anywhere close to the tickets/events needed. 

I actually agree with funding the A5 even though the British/NI governments should be funding that, but it's clearly about saving lives on probably the worst road in Ireland. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:03pm
Sir Jeffrey wasn't best pleased with receiving a load of money from a foreign Government
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:57am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Folks, if we want a united Ireland (and I'd f**king hope most who post on here do) these are the type of projects we need to get behind. 50 mill is steal when stacked up against the children's hospital or the Dublin metro 

Is it worth the trouble/s? 

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 21 Feb 2024 at 11:57am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:56am

Folks, if we want a united Ireland (and I'd f**king hope most who post on here do) these are the type of projects we need to get behind. 50 mill is steal when stacked up against the children's hospital or the Dublin metro 

The North is a massive ball ache for England. I hope it stays that way from a selfish POV.

Apologies to our comrades up North who are hoping for one.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

Resubmit the application and take the North out, save the money, invest it into grassroots of Irish football as Duffer said. this will be another white elephant like PUC 

The money would go to another project in the north instead. That's literally how this fund works. 
Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:35am
Resubmit the application and take the North out, save the money, invest it into grassroots of Irish football as Duffer said. this will be another white elephant like PUC 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:04am
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Spending £220 million at the most recent estimate on a stadium for Ulster and Antrim GAA is madness. The reason it is costing that much is it is being built to UEFA five star standards. All they need is a 35,000 capacity stadium like Clones. They will get that for well under £100 million.

Are you a DUP voter?
We're decent enough..
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:44am
Somebody has to fund the kip ffs. The brits want nothing to do with it. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

It’s not a “steal” when it’s 50 million into 1 GAA stadium that will rarely be full, when you compare it to what’s been put into infrastructure for the most participated sport on the island.

The league of Ireland badly needs investment and we’re p!sing away 50 million on 1 GAA stadium in Belfast. Not right (especially considering all the other millions the GAA gets)

However, I take the point that’s it’s good craic seeing the unionists wound up. But it’s a very expensive joke isn’t it!

I think The Irish government are going to ramp up significantly their funding of infrastructure north of the border over the next 2 decades. This makes sense in the context of most recent poll showing a majority under 45 want unity on the island. That realistically puts a border poll on the table in the next 15-20 years. In that context, £50million for Casement makes sense.

They absolutely should be better funding football infrastructure here as well, that's obvious. But trying to equate the two is wrong. Football isn't get it's correct quota of funding because the government have given £50 million to the GAA on the north, as part of €800 million they had already ringfenced for Northern infrastructure projects 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic