You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland Away 24th Sep 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Neilly71 Neilly71 wrote:

"Scumland" LOL Jesus. 52% of Scots are not in favour of the monarchy.  Support for independence now at over 50%. As regards the vote in 2014, over 50% of "Scots" voted Yes. We had the majority of English people here (not all but a majority) and the same with EU citizens, voting in favour of No.
I'd never boo anyones National anthem, and it was booed so sorry about that, James McClean beeing booed, dont get that either but then we also have a variety of dickheads in our support, add alcohol, instant arsehole.
Thanks Neilly for confirming my points above re Monarchy and Brexit. 

There are idiots in every support base. 

The Scott's treated us very well over the weekend, would feel safe going back. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:48am
You'd swear we were playing in Beirut the way some people are going on.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:14am
Never even half felt there would be any issue at all over the weekend and I was wearing colours Friday night and all day Saturday.
And the "What's it like to have a king" is just a bit of craic. 
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

"Scumland" LOL Jesus. 52% of Scots are not in favour of the monarchy.  Support for independence now at over 50%. As regards the vote in 2014, over 50% of "Scots" voted Yes. We had the majority of English people here (not all but a majority) and the same with EU citizens, voting in favour of No.
I'd never boo anyones National anthem, and it was booed so sorry about that, James McClean beeing booed, dont get that either but then we also have a variety of dickheads in our support, add alcohol, instant arsehole.

No point in quoting polls now, the polls before the referendum predicted a yes vote. You had the chance of Independence and blew it. Results:
The "No" side won with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour. 
Neilly71 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neilly71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:26am
?? I know, i was there and fairly caught up in it all Confused The point in quoting polls is because someone else made statements that werent right.  You're right though, we did blow it. Hopefully next time we wont but feck knows.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:34am

A great trip. My first time in Scotland (excluding a flight through Edinburgh). 

Edinburgh city centre is a fantastic spot. Packed with tourists as a result.
Glasgow is a massive city. 

Glasgow a massive city? Jesus you must not have travelled much if you think a city of well under 2 million is a massive city. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:35am

Police your own fans.

If I booed your anthem I'd be booted out of Lansddowne by other Irish fans.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Police your own fans.

No you wouldn’t 
AKA pedantic kunt
Simba View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You'd swear we were playing in Beirut the way some people are going on.
Correct.

Don't get me wrong, Glasgow isn't exactly easy on the eye for those looking for a trip to a beautiful city, but it was grand, pubs were grand, drink was grand, people were sound. Yes a few booed the anthem but there's arseholes in every support, including our own. The atmosphere for the 90 minutes was great from both sides I thought, full of tension but nothing out of hand. Dealing with the Scots before and after the game was 100% fine in my experience. Don't get some of the hysteria on here about it all. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

No point in quoting polls now, the polls before the referendum predicted a yes vote. You had the chance of Independence and blew it. Results:
The "No" side won with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour. 

Point of order  - i think one poll predicted a Yes win which so put the wind up the British establishment they threw every thing at it .

Given that pretty much all media outlets were 'Better Together friendlly if not darn right hostile to independence  it was a decent result to build on and giving 16 Yo the vote was genius 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Glasgow a massive city? Jesus you must not have travelled much if you think a city of well under 2 million is a massive city. 

Not in terms of Population but if using Dublin as comparison. Dublin is 117km squared and Glasgow is 175km squared so if that is what you're use to as a large city then it would seem comparably large. 

I am not sure if the above covers areas that wouldn't be described as being part of the city. 

London is 1572km squared.
Tokyo is 8547km squared.

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:54am

A tour of Celtic Park was a great finish to the trip. 

Very grateful not to have been stuck in Edinburgh airport for 12 hours yesterday. Thankfully our flight to Shannon was only delayed by an hour. 

The Scott's were very sound. We didn't wear any Irish gear (outside the stadium) during the dark hours. We never felt under threat. Would feel safe going again.

Hampden Park, despite being a good bit outside of the centre, is a lovely stadium and really contained the atmosphere. 

I don't think the "What's it like to have a King?" chant was necessary. A lot of the Scott's don't even want a king/queen, they're not in favour of the monarchy. Scotland voted to stay in the EU (unlike England and Wales). A bit unfair to abuse a team/supporters about something they're not in favour of. 

That's what makes it better, they don't want to have a King but he is there head of state. I thought that was the entire point of the chant. Bit of a wind up. 

I am sure there are some fans more than happy to have a King. 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:17am
the king chant is just a bitta craic surely, hardly trying to stoke bad blood or anything Confused

always liked Glasgow, people have high standards. some top class bars  
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:20am

Police your own fans.

No you wouldn’t 

You'd be told to shut the f**k up though.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Police your own fans.

No you wouldn’t 

You'd be told to shut the f**k up though.

Yeah some would do that and some would ignore you.  

People have to realise that there is a large section of Scottish society generally based in Glasgow who support international teams other than Scotland.  Some people living in Glasgow support England and others grow up supporting Ireland.  This creates resentment in Scottish society amongst those who support Scottish National team and some as a result don’t like England or Ireland as they see the Scots who cheer for them as traitors.  The old firm fans who do this are not liked by the Tartan Army.  No excuse for booing the anthem but I wouldn’t be crying about it either. 

How would we like it if the people of cork decided some were going to support Wales and others would support England.  Actually we may not give a sh*t as most of cork don’t support the Irish team to begin with since 2002 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Neilly71 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neilly71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 12:55pm
There have always been Celtic fans who have supported Ireland over Scotland, getting less so nowadays Id say, folk like myself would always have a soft spot for Ireland but in terms of them playing Scotland would never support Ireland over Scotland. Rangers fans never ever used to support england but it started creeping in about 15 to 20 years ago when you'd see some of the stauncher of them walking around in England tops, think they liked the shock value of it and that some of them detest the Tartan Army because their values dont match. Its a complicated situation. i know a fair few Rangers fans and none of them support England but then the guys i know that support Rangers are pro Independence and generally dont even go to Ibrox because theyre not into the union jack waving stuff that goes on. Its probably gotten a wee bit worse since the re-incarnation of Rangers, their PR boss David Graham is a staunch loyal citizen from the 6 counties and Rangers in more recent times have been playing to their lowest common denominator.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 1:03pm
Left The Tolbooth early on Saturday and ventured towards the Barras Market area.
Said we'd go to the the next sh*t hole pub we saw and it did not disappoint. Place called Braemar Bar.

No one else in there, no music or tv. Talking to the barman who must have been a recovering drug addict. Said the pub was home of the Johnny Cash Celtic Supporters Club.

MacKinnons where they let us bring in food from across the road and some characters in there.
On the way back after the match we went to the Star Bar. Place that looked stuck in the 70's. Carpets, wooden paneling and auld wans doing karaoke. Shame it closed at 12.
Not the kind of places you'd want to be going all the time or to bring a date, but perfect for an away trip.
The dark side.. And the light
Robsham1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robsham1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Left The Tolbooth early on Saturday and ventured towards the Barras Market area.
Said we'd go to the the next sh*t hole pub we saw and it did not disappoint. Place called Braemar Bar.

No one else in there, no music or tv. Talking to the barman who must have been a recovering drug addict. Said the pub was home of the Johnny Cash Celtic Supporters Club.

MacKinnons where they let us bring in food from across the road and some characters in there.
On the way back after the match we went to the Star Bar. Place that looked stuck in the 70's. Carpets, wooden paneling and auld wans doing karaoke. Shame it closed at 12.
Not the kind of places you'd want to be going all the time or to bring a date, but perfect for an away trip.

we walked by the Star Bar on the way back ourselves and regretted not going in, Looked like a place that had a few stories to tell!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960>
  Share Topic