You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 180>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:01pm
From the makers of Covid 19 comes a tale of World War 3.

This poxy decade is the pits.

Ze Germans sending their Chancellor to Moscow on Tuesday to try to talk Zorin out of WW3
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Ze Germans sending their Chancellor to Moscow on Tuesday to try to talk Zorin out of WW3

Zorin is German
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Zorin is German

He was ex KGB

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

That would set a Precedent and on the expiry of the 10 year period Russia would repeat the aggression in order to engineer the outcome.

A lot can happen in 10 years. You can renegotiate or better still have the Russian's closer to the world circle. The worst scenario been played out of Ukraine been turned into another Syria would be sickening. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:30pm
Some craic this.  Come out of a nightmare 2 years straight into WW3.
Let the good times roll baby.

Time to take that DeLorean for a spin on the M50.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 2:14am
Mr. Burns I think we can trust the President of Russia

Mr Burns: Now give it back.

Putin: What back?

Mr. Burns (Sigh) Ukraine
Los Simpsons Fidel Castro (Castellano) on Make a GIF

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 12:07pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

He was still German (East German) 
Zorin is German

He was ex KGB
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 3:06pm

Mr. Burns I think we can trust the President of Russia

Mr Burns: Now give it back.

Putin: What back?

Mr. Burns (Sigh) Ukraine
Los Simpsons Fidel Castro (Castellano) on Make a GIF

I think this scene is far more accurate

Russian Representative:
The Soviet Union will be pleased to offer amnesty to your wayward vessel.

United States Representative:
Soviet Union? I thought you guys broke up.

Russian Representative:
Nyet! That's what we wanted you to think, hahahahahaha!

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:17am
It is ridiculous how much Europe and US are stirring the pot on this one. It's coming from western politics and media versus Ukraine and Russia. 

Ukraine have constantly called for calm. 
Russia have said they are not going to invade. 
It's reported as no more than a military exercise in Russia. 

At the end of the day, in my opinion it's a show of force, Russia don't want NATO to expand further and be within 500km of Moscow. Which is for me understandable. Russia are generally the ones who have been invaded in past wars and have suffered enormously. 
They just want to protect their country and having this major military force that has been expanding eastwards the past decades that would be within 500km of the capital if they get Ukraine, that is a problem that is going to stoke tensions. Having the buffer of Eastern Europe is a good thing in my opinion and you can definitely argue that it is NATO's expansion eastwards which is actually the act of aggression

We were giving out about a military exercise 250 miles off Cork. Imagine the next time it was 200 miles and the next time after that 50 miles. That's basically what has been happening to Russia with NATO's expansion efforts.

Edited by t_rAndy - 15 Feb 2022 at 9:18am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It is ridiculous how much Europe and US are stirring the pot on this one. It's coming from western politics and media versus Ukraine and Russia. 

At the end of the day, in my opinion it's a show of force, Russia don't want NATO to expand further and be within 500km of Moscow. Which is for me understandable. Russia are generally the ones who have been invaded in past wars and have suffered enormously. 
They just want to protect their country and having this major military force has been expanding eastwards and would be within 500km of the capital if they get Ukraine, that is a problem that is going to stoke tensions. Having the buffer of Eastern Europe is a good thing in my opinion and you can definitely argue that it is NATO's expansion eastwards which is actually the act of aggression

We were giving out about a military exercise 250 miles off Cork. Imagine the next time it was 200 miles and the next time after that 50 miles. That's basically what has been happening to Russia with NATO's expansion efforts.

Russian literally invaded part of Ukraine a few years ago. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:27am
Yes but I would liken that to our army entering the North and taking back nationlaist towns that consider themselves Irish and not British that were being forced to become British. 

There were only 2 or 3 deaths, wasn't a full scale Military assault. 

Not saying I agree with them invading or with supplying weapons and the country is hugely corrupt so they are not shining lights or anything, not my point. 
However, I can empathize with the situation that they are seeing these actions as a way to protect themselves and people who consider themselves Russia/Soviet. I think we as Irish should even be more empathetic to the situation given our history. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 15 Feb 2022 at 9:30am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:33am

Yes but I would liken that to our army entering the North and taking back nationlaist towns that consider themselves Irish and not British that were being forced to become British. 

Not saying I agree with them invading or with supplying weapons and the country is hugely corrupt so they are not shining lights or anything, not my point. 
However, I can empathize with the situation that they are seeing these actions as a way to protect themselves and people who consider themselves Russia/Soviet. I think we as Irish should even be more empathetic to the situation given our history. 

There is literally conflict going on to this today. Your "hot take" on this situation seems way off the mark. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

There is literally conflict going on to this today. Your "hot take" on this situation seems way off the mark. 

Sorry I thought you meant the crimean annexation 2014 which was the official invasion.

The ongoing movement and supplying of rebels yes this has caused much more loss but it is not really considered as as official warfare. 

I'm not an expert but having listened and watched various docs and debates on the issue, for me I just feel that a lot of the current noise is rather caused by the west politics and media. They should just make some concessions towards their expansion east. That might even help bring an end to the separatist movement in the east of Ukraine. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 10:57am
The “NATO expansion” mantra is a nonsense with Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania all members for years. And the situation may be different if Belarus wasn’t a ‘soft’ satellite state which is overwhelmingly pro Russia. Ukraine is also a sovereign state, which in turn is entitled not to be manipulated through power play by it larger neighbour.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

They just want to protect their country and having this major military force has been expanding eastwards and would be within 500km of the capital if they get Ukraine, that is a problem that is going to stoke tensions. Having the buffer of Eastern Europe is a good thing in my opinion and you can definitely argue that it is NATO's expansion eastwards which is actually the act of aggression

Russian literally invaded part of Ukraine a few years ago. 
Read a good book on this a few years back (Prisoners of Geography). Moscow has no natural defences, no mountains, rivers, seas to protect it from invasion. The main way Russia has protected itself from it's enemies is by having a huge distance between its borders and its capitals. So any invading army needs such long supply lines, it invariably fails. It's why Siberia was so important in defending itself from the Mongols, Ottamans, and more recently Greeks, Swedes, Napoleon and the Germans in both world wars.

Russia hates the idea of it's enemies being closer to Moscow that it needs to be. It's a very historic way of looking at it, given that most wars are fought through the air now, but that's their psyche
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 11:39am
Again no expert and it is a hot take but I think what is also a but different with Ukraine is that the people are so close from an ethnic and cultural perspective. So 'losing Ukraine to the west' too is a hard pill to swallow.

I think making some sort of concession that Ukraine are also happy with is the way to go and I would say will likely happen. Can't see a war breaking out full scale. Which is why I think the hysteria coming from Johnson and all is just that, hysteria 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 11:49am

Again no expert and it is a hot take but I think what is also a but different with Ukraine is that the people are so close from an ethnic and cultural perspective. So 'losing Ukraine to the west' too is a hard pill to swallow.

That’s not entirely correct, and if it was taken to a logical conclusion could run the risk of exculpating a lot of imperial and colonial activity. For a start the Ukrainian language is years old and was codified in the 1800s, with Taras Shevchenko largely responsible for that.

Edited by Het-field - 15 Feb 2022 at 11:50am
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 12:19pm
Ukraine will not be elected into NATO. USA and UK will not spill a drop of their own forces' blood in pursuit of such an expansion after the experiences of Iraq and Afghanistan. The Russian government is corrupt, authoritarian and dangerous but Ukraine is divided and the geo-politics of the region are complicated and not well understood in the West. There is currently a lot of posturing going on and who knows what will transpire. Probably a deal to be done before much happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 180>
  Share Topic