You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shadrach Ogie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shadrach Ogie
    Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 6:50pm
Went to see Leyton Orient yesterday and really impressed with Ogie. Have to admit that I hadn't heard of him before. Not claiming he will be world class, but seemed strong and assured on the ball as well as good in the tackle. Positional sense was quite impressive, though the opposition weren't up to much. Reminded me of Ogbene and couid seems very capable as LCB or LWB. Anyone know anything about him ? Drinan fairly decent too btw and looks good at this level.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:31pm
Was a decent player at schoolboy level. Think he played in midfield at first but was moved to LB, and with his size could play CB too. Had good pace which wasn't surprising as he was a sprinter too.

Was surprised when I saw him at Orient cause I thought he stopped playing and started focusing on athletics like a couple of others. Turns out he moved to England because he felt it was his best way of making it as a pro.

Not surprised with that as any lad that's playing football in Limerick and wants to make it at senior should leave here asap. Best decision John Ryan now at Shamrock Rovers made was signing for St Kevin's when he did. Otherwise he'd be playing GAA rather than playing with Rovers and underage for Ireland.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:43pm
Being a regular starter in the football league at age 20 is a decent achievement, even at League 2 level. For comparison Dara O'Shea played in League 2 at 20 (though he was in the EPL at 21). Leyton Orient look like possible promotion contenders also.

Was he playing centre back or wing back? Realistically if he comes through as a centre back he'll have a mountain to climb to get international recognition. Whereas if he plays LB/LWB he probably wouldn't be miles off an Under 21 call up. Mason O'Malley is another left back that was involved with the under 21s during the summer and he isn't a regular starter in League 2 so the standard in that position below Joel Bagan isn't that high.
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:53pm
The formation shifted, but he was on the left of defence. Certainly looked comfortable in a 3 or a 4 in that role, but was not shy about going forward and did very well, putting in decent crosses, so that is why I mentioned possible LWB - very similar to Chiedozie on the right. Difficult to say much on one viewing and I am no expert, but was watching him closely for obvious reasons and was very impressed. Orient could well go up and looked a very decent side, but whatever happens, Ogie seems to have the skill, commitment, nous, strength and athleticism to play at a higher level. As posters above, at his age, still plenty of time to improve, so hopefully he pushes on.
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:29pm
This from one of my mates who is a season ticket holder and generally a perceptive reader of the game

'Ogie's come through and grabbed his chance playing on the left of a back three. He's hardly the finished article, but he's got a lot going for him. If he ends up as a left back, I think we'll see more of his ability running with the ball, too. Or he could just go disastrously downhill, like so many others.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 12:44pm
Nominated for League 2 young player of the season. 30+ starts in that division this season is good going for him, he must be one of our least talked about underage eligible players.

It doesn't help his case that he's primarily a centre back, but given what Jim Crawford was saying about wanting a left footed centre back when Eiran Cashin was brought in, I'm surprised he hasn't called up Ogie at any point. Would be an upgrade on Oisin McEntee who plays in the Scottish lower leagues I would have thought.

Edited by You Tell Me - 14 Apr 2022 at 12:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic