You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael O'Neill - An Uncle Tom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 1:54pm
There's very few Irish managers around because we have no football industry in our country. 

There's only so many positions in coaching and management available, and even fewer than are in anyway financially rewarding.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

There's very few Irish managers around because we have no football industry in our country. 

There's only so many positions in coaching and management available, and even fewer than are in anyway financially rewarding.
NI doesn't have a football industry either yet they seem to produce a significant number of managers. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

At any given time we have hundreds of footballers registered with British clubs. All of them spend their entire adult lives in the UK, at least up until they retire, and most settle in the UK after retirement.

We have no domestic football industry but we always have a plethora of players plying their trade across the water. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to produce a similar amount of managers to Scotland, or even NI, selected from that pool alone.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Pat Fenlon, Stephen Kenny, Steve Staunton, Joe Dunne, Graham Kavanagh, Richie Foran, Brian Carey, Roy Keane, Dean Brennan, Roddy Collins, Niall Quinn.

All have managed in the UK in this century and the average length of their managerial careers is about a year give or take.

Even going back to the 90s, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan and Damien Richardson had fleeting managerial careers.

A few went into punditry, a few went into assistant coaching, a few went into backroom roles, very few stick it out.

I'd wonder why that is. Even in the Championship right now, Cliff Byrne is assistant to Grant McCann at Hull City.

Maybe in general we're not the best at being front of house. Perhaps we're just better at ticking away in the background.

I'd like for it to change. 

O'Leary was probably at the highest level before he crashed and burned. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Just googled what an Uncle Tom is, never heard the term before. 
 I had to ask Mrs Claret Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:39pm
As a Nationalist from Derry I can say with confidence that the vast majority of people I know have zero allegiance to the Northern Ireland team. Years ago that would have been hostility but now it is more of a couldn't care less type attitude. Some Nationalist players play for NI but a lot of time that is based on their career aspirations. If you watch an NI anthem all the Nationalist players look decidedly uncomfortable. They always will. For me I couldn't care less about the NI team and want nothing to do with them. I support Ireland and that's it. I am Irish and value that. I expect that to be respected. Anyone playing or supporting NI from whatever community- that is up to them and I would never criticise someone for it. I expect the same respect to be afforded to supporters of Ireland and players from the North playing for Ireland. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:00pm
Fair comment. Times change. A lot of nationalists would have been shouting for NI back in the day when Gerry Armstrong was scoring against Spain in the World Cup but those days are gone. A lot has been done to try to eradicate the worst sectarian excesses associated with the NI team but sadly more remains to be done, including the GSTQ controversy. In the meantime players like Duffy, McClean, Gibson, Wilson, Sykes and others have led the way into the future. The momentum is only one way.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Fair comment. Times change. A lot of nationalists would have been shouting for NI back in the day when Gerry Armstrong was scoring against Spain in the World Cup but those days are gone. A lot has been done to try to eradicate the worst sectarian excesses associated with the NI team but sadly more remains to be done, including the GSTQ controversy. In the meantime players like Duffy, McClean, Gibson, Wilson, Sykes and others have led the way into the future. The momentum is only one way.

I honestly have never heard in Derry anyways of Nationalists ever supporting NI at any stage or shouting for them. Maybe in other parts of the North it was different.

Edit: the vast majority of Nationalists. 95% +

Edited by Stickittotheman - 11 Dec 2021 at 11:09pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:31pm
Did they play GSTQ twice when they played England in 2005?

Never found out.

Must have been confusing for the nordies. Did they boo the away teams anthem?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:36pm
They got to add in the  “no surrender” line twice 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Your wrong on that one!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

They got to add in the  “no surrender” line twice 

They played No Surrender by Bruce Springsteen as a compromise.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Michael O'Neill asked players from nationalist background to keep their heads raised during the playing of  GSTQ as it looked disrespectful. 
What will you do?Windsor’s on your bucket list isn’t it.
Stand shoulder to shoulder with Terri and belt it out!

I don't sing GSTQ at Windsor, on the basis that I'd prefer to see a different/unique anthem for NI.

So I do what I did when I used to go to Landowne for rugby games and the SS was played:

Stand Up, Shut Up, Sit Down again.

Lots of my fellow NI fans think much the same.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Michael O'Neill asked players from nationalist background to keep their heads raised during the playing of  GSTQ as it looked disrespectful. 
What will you do?Windsor’s on your bucket list isn’t it.
Stand shoulder to shoulder with Terri and belt it out!

I don't sing GSTQ at Windsor, on the basis that I'd prefer to see a different/unique anthem for NI.

So I do what I did when I used to go to Landowne for rugby games and the SS was played:

Stand Up, Shut Up, Sit Down again.

Lots of my fellow NI fans think much the same.

Why do you say "SS" and not, say, "ÁnbhF" or something else? Why "SS"?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

You can't disagree with McGinn's choice on that basis. I also remember he scored against Portugal, maybe on Ronaldo's 100th cap, really upset the apple cart. He has had an international career that few could ever dream of. It must be tough sharing a team bus with the likes of Lafferty though. 
Wee Niall has always been one of the most enthusiastic of our players - has always turned up, even when we were crap and he was usually on the bench, including eg an away match vs San Marino, when he flew back from Korea. It's one of the reasons why he's so popular with the GAWA.

As for Laff, by all accounts having to spend any time with him can be torture, but only because he's permananetly like a 5 year old with a sugar rush.

I have no idea about his politics, but it is on the record that he married a Catholic in her chapel in Scotland, while his late sister was living with (married to?) a Catholic back in Fermanagh.

But yeah, he played for Rangers, he's got a song, so he must be one of "themmuns".
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

If Norn Iron were serious about becoming a non-sectarian outfit, then they would adopt another anthem to be played alongside GSTQ, as the Rugby team have done with Ireland's Call.
FIFA's Rules do not permit 2 anthems. As it is, all anthems are limited to 90 seconds, maximum.

The fact is they wont do that, because it remains a cold house for Northern nationalists, that's the truth of it.
No, that's your "truth".  Not everyone thinks like you, including those who know anything about it. You know, people who've actually been to Windsor.

I struggle to see how any Northern nationalist could play for that lot.
Of course you do.

Neither Scotland or Wales line up to GSTQ, why do Norn Iron insist on doing so?
The IFA could do without the sh*tstorm that "the usual suspects" in the DUP/TUV etc would raise if they announced a change. This is not helped by the fact there is no obvious alternative and made worse by the fact that England insist on retaining the British NA, rather than something uniquely English.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:50pm
What percentage of the NI fans are catholic/nationalist would you say Terry?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Gerry Armstrong is another Uncle Tom.  Said on record previously he would have played for Northern Ireland even if he had been eligible for ROI at the time.  Stockholm Syndrome Gerry.

So someone born in NI must be entitled to a free choice to represent the FAI without demur, but if someon else from NI chooses to represent the IFA, he is fair game for insults.

Quite aside from the overt prejudice involved in that outlook, where does it leave the likes of those who've represented both?

You know, the likes of Gibson, McClean, Duffy etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic